Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:04 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by UtterCaro
Caro (infrequent flyer, but not a "sheeple")
Welcome to Flyertalk, Caro. ^
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Wear this button - Generate some comments !

Available at:
http://www.zazzle.com/airport_body_s...74163315218819
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:56 pm

Aren't their signs that threaten with arrest if one makes fun or jokes around at TSA?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Is anyone interested/able to adapt the nude-o-scope brochure for the UK situation? Since opting out is not an option in the UK, it needs a different emphasis.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Is anyone interested/able to adapt the nude-o-scope brochure for the UK situation? Since opting out is not an option in the UK, it needs a different emphasis.

Any ideas?
What else is different?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Aren't their signs that threaten with arrest if one makes fun or jokes around at TSA?
One can't make "joke" threats like pretending one has a bomb.

However, the TSA has no ability to strip one's First Amendment rights.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by newhaven
What else is different?
There are small changes necessary for a UK version, such as changing "TSA" throughout the document to "Department for Transport" or "DfT" (except, of course, for the reference to Rolando Negrin.)

The reference to a FOIA request in the middle column of the second page, and the reference to "Ivy League" poster images are (probably) inappropriate for a UK audience.

But those are superficial and straightforward.

The main (obvious) goal of the US brochure is to get passengers to opt out. A lot of the text, particularly the large font and the conclusions, informs them of their right to do so, and the implications of the patdown alternative. (There are of course broader goals of educating the public about the TSA's strategy, etc. In my case, I am working on one I can give to people thinking of visiting to the US so they can decide if they even want to go.)

Since UK passengers are (at this time, as I understand it) less likely to encounter a nude-o-scope but have no "opt out" choice, what message could we convey with a brochure? I really am looking for ideas, particularly from those who have experience at LHR or MAN. What is useful to say to people as they stand in line?

As I mentioned in another thread, I have friends going to LHR soon and I can give them the current brochure for the pictures, etc, but it's not something they can (easily) pass on to others in the UK context.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Wear this button - Generate some comments !

Available at:
http://www.zazzle.com/airport_body_s...74163315218819
You'd have to take that off to go through the metal detector. Too much metal. Funny though.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Today at ORD AA preferred line the Nude - O -Scopes were not in use! There was tape across the front of it! And there was a line much longer than normal.

Is it too much to hope it is broken? Could the NOS possibly be unreliable like the puffer machines?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Spiff
However, the TSA has no ability to strip one's First Amendment rights.
Despite the fact that some of them (yes, IAD, I mean you!) will try.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
a suggestion for the brochures

I suggest that the brochures be revised to include a picture of the WBI device (perhaps as the cover image for the versions with no cover image). I think that a lot of occasional travelers will not register the difference between the WTMD and the WBI. At least one version of the brochure should be explicitly aimed at the infrequent flier.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I suggest that the brochures be revised to include a picture of the WBI device (perhaps as the cover image for the versions with no cover image). I think that a lot of occasional travelers will not register the difference between the WTMD and the WBI. At least one version of the brochure should be explicitly aimed at the infrequent flier.
Keep in mind, there are three different types, with completely different appearances, that I was able to find claim they are TSA certified.

L3 ProVision (MMW) (image linked here since it is listed as available for direct download from the manufacturer website)

Rapiscan Secure 1000 (did not provide an image, since the images are not available for open download on the manufacturer website)
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Today at ORD AA preferred line the Nude - O -Scopes were not in use! There was tape across the front of it! And there was a line much longer than normal.

Is it too much to hope it is broken? Could the NOS possibly be unreliable like the puffer machines?
From an article linked to several days ago:

beyond a lack of accuracy and a certain ease in going haywire, as detected by the operators,
http://www.avionews.com/index.php?co...ante=index.php
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doober
From an article linked to several days ago:

http://www.avionews.com/index.php?co...ante=index.php
I love the lack of investigative reporting skills. I would have liked for the reporter to dig a little deeper and report more seriously on the "ease in going haywire" issue.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I love the lack of investigative reporting skills. I would have liked for the reporter to dig a little deeper and report more seriously on the "ease in going haywire" issue.
Top notch reporting? Maybe not, but it does cast one more disparaging spotlight on the validity of WBIers.

Has TSA once again bought extremely expensive gear without fully testing and understanding what they signed off on?

TSA is its very short life has wasted more tax monies than most other agencies combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.