Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Great job, Barbell. This type of organized resistance can hit critical mass.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barbell
The Nude-O-Scope is now operational at MSP's skyway checkpoint. There was a front page article in Thursday's Star Tribune about it, and bravo to the author: it was not a propoganda puff piece. I tried to find it in their online version to post here, to no avail. Sorry, folks.

Since I flew out of MSP yesterday, I made sure to stop by the local copier and run some dontscan.us pamphlets on my way back to the airport. Great job everybody!

I littered the place with them: A few were "left" by the check-in counters, some were "left" on the intra-terminal train, and quite a few were "left" at the check-in kiosks right by the Nude-O-Scope security line, which seems to be frequented by FFs. As I looked back at the line while retrieving my stuff from the x-ray, quite a few people had them, and seemed to be tucking them away for future reading.

And after all that effort, it wasn't in use yesterday, so I didn't get to opt out.

I also made sure that several were placed in commonly checked areas of the plane, such as the terminal maps and food areas of the inflight magazine in a few seats. You know, just in case anyone looks there and will know for future reference.
Seems someone left a few Opt Out brochures at LAS recently.

D gates screening area had MMW Nude-O-Scope to the far right side of the checkpoint. Could have been more but LAS is busy and I was trying to get cleared just when TSA closed two lines while people were already lined up.

Pretty easy to self select.

Sees the idiot factor is alive and well with LAS TSA.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by barbell
Since I flew out of MSP yesterday, I made sure to stop by the local copier and run some dontscan.us pamphlets on my way back to the airport. Great job everybody!
+1000 Barbell ^^

I have a nice high speed duplex laser printer in my business, so producing pamphlets cost nearly nothing.

I have been distributing them (I've dropped 200-300 now) at lottery kiosks, where the DontScan.me fliers fit perfectly next to the blank lotto cards. These kiosks are everywhere, and impact a lot of people.

Also have been dropping 1-2 in mailboxes whenever I drop a letter or bill.

I leave a stack at every public restroom that I get to visit, and I've got all my employees involved as well. I suspect they have distributed a couple of hundred as well.

I plan to hand out lots of them at hockey games (starts next week), and I don't expect any flack from security at the arena. I got season tickets, so lots of opportunity there.

I'm soliciting suggestions on other good places to distribute.

Remember to carry a stack in your back pocket at all times!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimpie
+1000 Barbell ^^

I have a nice high speed duplex laser printer in my business, so producing pamphlets cost nearly nothing.

I have been distributing them (I've dropped 200-300 now) at lottery kiosks, where the DontScan.me fliers fit perfectly next to the blank lotto cards. These kiosks are everywhere, and impact a lot of people.

Also have been dropping 1-2 in mailboxes whenever I drop a letter or bill.

I leave a stack at every public restroom that I get to visit, and I've got all my employees involved as well. I suspect they have distributed a couple of hundred as well.

I plan to hand out lots of them at hockey games (starts next week), and I don't expect any flack from security at the arena. I got season tickets, so lots of opportunity there.

I'm soliciting suggestions on other good places to distribute.

Remember to carry a stack in your back pocket at all times!
Airports.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems someone left a few Opt Out brochures at LAS recently.

D gates screening area had MMW Nude-O-Scope to the far right side of the checkpoint. Could have been more but LAS is busy and I was trying to get cleared just when TSA closed two lines while people were already lined up.

Pretty easy to self select.

Sees the idiot factor is alive and well with LAS TSA.
I have to be in LAS in a few weeks, and have an 8:00a departure to MEM. How early do you think I should arrive in order to have enough time to opt out and make my departure?

Does every gate have the N-O-S? Is it backscatter or MMW? How can you tell the difference?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Dorlee
I have to be in LAS in a few weeks, and have an 8:00a departure to MEM. How early do you think I should arrive in order to have enough time to opt out and make my departure?

Does every gate have the N-O-S? Is it backscatter or MMW? How can you tell the difference?
Do you have a preference for being irradiated vs. cooked?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorlee

LAS can get pretty backed up depending on the day of the week and time of day. I have only used the D Gates checkpoint so haven't seen first hand the other checkpoints in action.

I saw one MMW WBI on the far right of the D checkpoint. May have been one on the far left but I am not certain.

You can just get in line of a WTMD and miss the WBI if they don't change things. I would still leave a fair amount of time to clear security. Airlines require that you check bags at least 45 minutes before flight so use that as a minimum guide.

Backscatter has two tall boxes that you stand between, MMW has a clear glass enclosure that you stand in.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:34 pm

How about an identification guide as a shirt design? mediafire.com/?81ff2k65j55dpa4
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Airports.
Absolutely! But unfortunately I only am in airports 1-2 times a month these days. Economy bad!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:57 am

I'm thinking that when the empty bins are on the security roller table, drop one in each open bin, and then stack them up so the TSA stooge can bring them back to the front of the line. Imagine picking up a bin at the entry point of the security line only to find the pamphlet.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:04 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clark_addison
I'm thinking that when the empty bins are on the security roller table, drop one in each open bin, and then stack them up so the TSA stooge can bring them back to the front of the line. Imagine picking up a bin at the entry point of the security line only to find the pamphlet.
I have considered this, but I'm too afraid to catch notice from the TSA clerks standing there. We'll see if I can muster the courage tomorrow. After all, I made a point to swing by the 24 hour copy place near where I stay in ATL and print and fold another 100 for my flight back tomorrow.

Littering these things all over the ATL terminal is the least I can do for my fellow travelers. I consider it my patriotic duty. (Although I do get a little sheepish carrying around so obvious a picture of a naked man in public!)
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:55 am

In the ORD T3, there's a public restroom near one of the checkpoints that gets non-trivial traffic. I'm thinking I might get there a bit early to conduct an experiment. I'll leave a few on the sink and maybe taped to the back of the bathroom stall doors. Then I'll go back 30 minutes later to see how many have been picked up, or whether maintenance clears them out.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by clark_addison
Good suggestion! I often take a couple tubs 30-40 feet past a checkpoint to put my shoes/belt back on & restore my belongings to their rightful pockets. That will be good time to slip a pamphlet between the tubs.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Great job folks on all the work done up to this point. ^^ I'm happy to see this moving ahead so nicely.

While we all here know what the "TSA" is and huge numbers of frequent flyers obviously do too, I'm not sure most Americans who fly once or twice a year have a clue about what is being referred to when they come across the word "TSA".

Something to keep in mind in the development of distribution material.

One good way to cause this strip search system to meltdown in some fashion is to get it to jam up around holiday times. That means informing persons who aren't frequent flyers but who do make a trip or three around the various peak holiday times.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks -- The trick is to practice at home (no joke). I know nobody in their right mind as a stack of TSA bins at home. But, you can practice removing a stack of them from a coat pocket which just happens to be in the bottom of a bin. Everybody fumbles around putting their laptops back into its case. This is also a good time to slide some from the empty case into the bin. Practice makes perfect.

I like the idea about being a good sheeple by stacking your 2-3 bins together to be helpful for the hard-working & freedom-defending TSA screeners. Restrooms before the security checkpoints is a great idea. It would be great if people actually starting to read them in the glacial-paced security lines .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.