Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The line leading up to the checkpoint at airports with serpentine line corrals.
That is what I've thought all along- anyone can walk into the terminal and detonate before the check point. Instead of losing a plane and occupants, you lose airline customers, employees, and a terminal building; and a lot of credibility, if you are TSA.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslandBased
That is what I've thought all along- anyone can walk into the terminal and detonate before the check point. Instead of losing a plane and occupants, you lose airline customers, employees, and a terminal building; and a lot of credibility, if you are TSA.
You have it about right except for one thing, TSA has no credibility.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I liked the EPIC letter, however, I did not really like the letter from Collins.. It seems that she still thinks WBI is good, even if they get ATR..
Collins' staffer addressed each of the issues raised in the EPIC letter in promising terms. It's interesting that Collins signed out a letter with the gargon name of "puffer."

Also of note is the fact that she is a few seats away from being the Committee Chair in January.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
[backscatter opt-out story moved to appropriate thread]
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
New Website about Body Scanners

A new web site started by a guy in UK known to me on Facebook.
Pretty well done - add to your list.

http://www.nomorebodyscanners.com/

^^^
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:05 am

For your entertainment and aggravation here's a copy of CATSA's WBI brochure (PDF).
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by newhaven
UtterCaro: Good points. Edited.
barbell: Thanks. Added.

New draft: mediafire.com/?7a4le2yzwyax123
I've updated dontscan.us, dontscan.me and airportbodyscan.org with the pamphlet here.

Thank you, newhaven.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:12 pm

It is official. America is a fascist state

A very sad article - True but very very sad.

http://snippits-and-slappits.blogspo...ist-state.html
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:01 pm

Canada (CATSA) New Privacy Annual Report

The agency also agreed with our recommendations that the scanners be used only as a secondary screening method. It further pledged that:

* participation would remain anonymous and voluntary;
* a physical pat-down would be offered as an alternative;
* screening officers would be separated from and unable to see the individual being screened;
* the images would not be correlated with any other personal information and would not be identifiable; and
* all images would be deleted immediately after the scanning is completed.

The agency also agreed to seek out and develop less privacy-invasive technologies, regularly reassess the need for whole-body scanners against new intelligence, ensure the public has clear and accurate information on which to base informed choices, and track and report public complaints and concerns.
(emphasis mine)

PLUS - Canada only uses the MM wave scanners. Less detailed images and NO X-RAYS!

HOORAY FOR CLEAR THINKERS in Canada!
^^^

Now we need a similar statement from TSA. Not just more mission creep.

http://www.priv.gc.ca/information/ar...00910_pa_e.pdf
(Page 47)
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Here's my opt out story for today:

SFO. Flight to Shanghai. They have a MW scanner, which I'm OK with technically in that I think it has little risk of harm to a pax.

I opted out. They asked why. I said "Radiation"

They called some guy over to explain to me about "radiation". He told me that the flight will give me more "radiation" and my cell phone gives me "radiation". He said that there are two types of scanners and this one has no "radiation" He asked me if I knew this and I said "What do I know? I'm not a physicist" (I'm not. I'm a mathematician.)

(Full disclosure: I have been a licensed PE, and I am currently licensed by the FCC to perform measurements on radar equipment (Commercial Radiotelephone license with "Radar" endorsement http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperator...job=ship_radar ) So I know something about radiation.

Sensing I wasn't going to get anywhere with the "Radiation" answer, I added "I like to see my bags at all times. I've had a watch stolen at a checkpoint." They had no answer for this, but did say that they've caught people who've tried. I added "According to the TSA website, as of 1/2008, 200 TSA agents have been prosecuted for stealing from passengers, so it isn't just passengers I'm worried about."

Then they yelled out "WE HAVE AN OPT-OUT", made me stand in the penalty box, wait about 5 minutes, and then gave me one of the most ineffective patdowns I've ever had. I could have had as 12" Subway Sandwich down the front of my pants and they wouldn't have found it.

After the search he said "I have to log your reason for opt out." I told him to write that I wanted to be able to see my bags at all times.

To their credit, they did permit me to see my bags at all times.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by reamworks
After the search he said "I have to log your reason for opt out." I told him to write that I wanted to be able to see my bags at all times.

To their credit, they did permit me to see my bags at all times.
Your response was great! ^

If they are asking for information on why passengers are opting out, this is an opportunity to provide and voice our concerns. Perhaps this could be addressed in the websites- If asked, please state your concerns about the AIT devices.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Your response was great! ^

If they are asking for information on why passengers are opting out, this is an opportunity to provide and voice our concerns. Perhaps this could be addressed in the websites- If asked, please state your concerns about the AIT devices.
First time i've heard of this. They've been pushing AIT for months....and now all of a sudden they are concerned about why ppl are opting out. Why wouldn't they be keeping track since the inception of the NoS. This seems like just another way to placate the masses and make ppl feel like their voice matters. To paraphrase Chief Wiggum: "I will just type the report here on my invisible type-writer".

Don't take this post a s a shot at you IB. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

P.S. if any opt-outs have encountered this before please let us know.

Last edited by deldel; Oct 6, 2010 at 7:45 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Well, keep in mind, this is not TSA, this is "Team SFO". They sometimes do things a little differently (not necessarily better).
They also have a 100% record this year of opening my bags on domestic/intl transfers
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:43 am
Suspended

I did a quick search and couldn't find the posts I wanted, but I know we have heard of TSA having to log "reasons" for opting-out in the recent past. I believe I recall one FTer suggesting "Because I can" as his/her reason.

Originally Posted by deldel
First time i've heard of this. They've been pushing AIT for months....and now all of a sudden they are concerned about why ppl are opting out. Why wouldn't they be keeping track since the inception of the NoS. This seems like just another way to placate the masses and make ppl feel like their voice matters. To paraphrase Chief Wiggum: "I will just type the report here on my invisible type-writer".

Don't take this post a s a shot at you IB. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

P.S. if any opt-outs have encountered this before please let us know.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doober
I did a quick search and couldn't find the posts I wanted, but I know we have heard of TSA having to log "reasons" for opting-out in the recent past. I believe I recall one FTer suggesting "Because I can" as his/her reason.
Here is what I will answer, if asked the question:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.