Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would make a call to your local ACLU.
+1. Will your union support you in this?

Originally Posted by deldel
Thank you for standing up for yourself and all of us that view these new regulations as ridiculous. It's outrageous that you have been a pilot for 4 and a half years with no indication that you intend to harm anyone flying in your plane, and you are not being permitted to do your job without subjecting yourself to these invasive security measures. Yet the TSA will allow it's employees to work sometimes up to a year before their background check is even completed. Besides a lawyer I would also contact your local news media and tell them your story. Worse case scenario is that they won't run the story. But you might actually garner some support. Especially from other professionals in your industry. Please let us know what you boss says after you speak to him.
+1. True patriot. And someone who has COURAGE, unlike most TSA screeners and the hoards of sheeple who pass through the checkpoints.

Originally Posted by eyecue
Should have said NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM BEING PICKED FOR THE AIT. My bad.
Let's see. He is a pilot. He can crash the plane. So what exactly is accomplished by sending him through the strip-search machine? Unless, of course, you are using this machine to try and find drugs or illegal items, in which case the search is no longer administrative, it is criminal.

As for fake pilot, let's see: TSA screeners identify working flight crew all the time for the permitted exemptions from the 4th Amendment Ziploc baggie and other items.

Did you ever consider that you are doing more to frighten the passengers when you strip-search or "enhanced pat down" an airline pilot? Or is that the point: keeping the citizens in fear?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Which is understandable since ALL TSA screeners go thru the "advanced imaging technology" each time they enter the sterile area correct?

Oh and since I can do a search for a "Michael S Roberts" in the FAA Airman data base, at least I know that there is a real one as compared to a fake TSA (pretending to be doing something for the country) screener in front of me.

And by the way at least "Michael S Roberts" does have a type rating in an EMB-145, a lot more demonstrated proficiency in material & skill than you'll ever have to do. Is the initial training for a TSA screener something like 10 days? Even less for a supposed "behavior" detection officer?

I would strongly suggest you be a little bit less ignorant on how even TSA has had screeners entering the sterile area unlawfully and even boarding aircraft. All with the benefit of a TSA uniform. Damaging temperature probes on SAAB 340s of course is a different matter. Did your aviation security inspector get fired for that or just promoted?

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airm...od=1&certNum=1

FAA Registry
Name Inquiry Results

MICHAEL STEPHEN ROBERTS

Address

Street 3794 DOUGLASS AVE
City MEMPHIS State TN
County SHELBY Zip Code 38111-6722
Country USA

Medical

Medical Class: First Medical Date: 11/2009

Certificates

1 of 2

1 2

DOI: 2/8/2009
Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT
Rating(s):
COMMERCIAL PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Type Ratings

C/EMB-145

Limits

ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
EMB-145 SIC PRIVILEGES ONLY.
EMB-145 CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airm...od=1&certNum=1
You missed the point.TSA knows all its officers at the CP and we get notice on new ones. A pilot on the other hand is not known nor are his intentions known. You missed the concept of "position of public trust" well. The other incident that you refer to has nothing to do with CP screening.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Let's see. He is a pilot. He can crash the plane. So what exactly is accomplished by sending him through the strip-search machine?
What is accomplished by having a pilot (or any airline employee for that matter) pass through a WBI device is irrelevant. It doesn't give that "pilot" a free pass to choose not to if he feels like it. Petition to get the rules changed if you don't like them, don't just assume they don't apply and then be shocked when you lose your job because of it.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm Reason: Badgering
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
+1. Will your union support you in this?

+1. True patriot. And someone who has COURAGE, unlike most TSA screeners and the hoards of sheeple who pass through the checkpoints.

Let's see. He is a pilot. He can crash the plane. So what exactly is accomplished by sending him through the strip-search machine? Unless, of course, you are using this machine to try and find drugs or illegal items, in which case the search is no longer administrative, it is criminal.

As for fake pilot, let's see: TSA screeners identify working flight crew all the time for the permitted exemptions from the 4th Amendment Ziploc baggie and other items.

Did you ever consider that you are doing more to frighten the passengers when you strip-search or "enhanced pat down" an airline pilot? Or is that the point: keeping the citizens in fear?
He presents himself as being a pilot. There is a big difference. We are not going to follow him and see if he actually is going to fly. TSA has no way to tell if he is authentic. Therefore the AIT gets used. There was a pilot in DEN that brought something through while he was using his uniform because he could.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:20 am

You missed the point.TSA knows all its officers at the CP and we get notice on new ones. A pilot on the other hand is not known nor are his intentions known. You missed the concept of "position of public trust" well. The other incident that you refer to has nothing to do with CP screening.
Ah, the one where a TSA screener boarded her flight (after changing out of her uniform in the restroom) and did not go thru screening as a passenger? Or the one where a TSA screener actually boarded an aircraft at JFK?

And tell me about this "position of public" trust? Does that include your brethren screener at DEN who brought a firearm into the sterile area? Or the TSA screener was a convicted felon for robbery and was knowingly hired at RIC?

Tell us more about your vaulted background checks that enable you to hold this "position of public trust"? You know the ones that are done so well that TSA screeners do not have to go thru the advanced imaging technology booth when entering the sterile area.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Really? So, if a sitting US Senator was picked for the AIT they must comply or not fly?
They have to go through it or the pat down if they opt out.

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Ah, the one where a TSA screener boarded her flight (after changing out of her uniform in the restroom) and did not go thru screening as a passenger? Or the one where a TSA screener actually boarded an aircraft at JFK?

And tell me about this "position of public" trust? Does that include your brethren screener at DEN who brought a firearm into the sterile area? Or the TSA screener was a convicted felon for robbery and was knowingly hired at RIC?

Tell us more about your vaulted background checks that enable you to hold this "position of public trust"? You know the ones that are done so well that TSA screeners do not have to go thru the advanced imaging technology booth when entering the sterile area.
That is your best shot? This has been beat to death, accept it and move on.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:34 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I applaud anybody who can find a plausible way to defend TSA. It is a tough job, thankless too, and ultimately as logical as suggesting one can solve the problem of US national debt by cutting taxes. As i think of that maybe the solution is to eliminate TSA and start from scratch. That must work better than suggesting that pilots are unknown quantities compared with TSA staffers.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does an enhanced pat down of a pilot reveal his intentions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Then why do you give pilots and other crew exemptions from the liquid/gel rules, among other things? And how do you deal with FFDOs?

If pilot has bad intentions, theres nothing you or any FAM can do to stop him once he's behind the cockpit door.

Whether you like it or not, the pilot is in a position of public trust.

I smell someone trying to justify a dragnet.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Mr. Roberts,
THANK YOU for standing up to the goons at the TSA. It is time that someone did it.

So at the end of the day what have you accomplished?
You got your "good job" and applause here and yet you might have managed to destroy a career. At the end of the month no one will remember what you did. No one will be buying your dinner or making any bill payments on your behalf. You have become a paper hero and that is sad.
I understand your point. But was it worth it? That is how the judgement is passed at the end of the day.
No one is exempt from being picked for the AIT machine. Since your career consists of an exploitable avenue from a security standpoint, you should know that.
Oh I can tell you that I will at the very least make sure that people remember since we need to involve the media here and I plan on posting this link on my Facebook page since A LOT of people I know hate the TSA.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:34 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
They have to go through it or the pat down if they opt out.
I call bull@#$%. Hang around DCA on a Thursday when Congress is going out of session for the weekend. I'm consistently on flights to my home airport and LAX with members of the PA and CA delegations; they get VIP treatment. Same for high level appointees in the Administration. These guys and gals are not getting the same treatment that we are. If they were, airport security would be a vastly different enterprise. But because most members of Congress don't get felt up or nude-o-scoped they have no idea why the rest of us find the process disgusting.

http://gawker.com/5420989/the-gawker...-travel-season

http://fly.truth.travel/2010/04/late...g-debacle.html
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:28 pm

Michael thank you for standing up against the TSA's bull. I hope more pilots and flight crews follow. What I don't get and I've discussed this with a friend who flies long haul for Delta before is why bother screening the pilots? If you wanted to crash the plane or hijack it you're already you know, at the controls in the cockpit. If a pilot wanted to turn their plane into a missile there's not a damned thing the smurf brigade can do to stop it.

If your airline flew to the places I regularly fly to I'd book my next flight on them and let them know why I am.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium

hmmm its odd you mention "position of public trust" as thats the very last place i would use that line when comes to anything remotely close to TSA, because I certainly dont trust TSA as far as i can put a round down range because of repeated failures and lies. Mainly its because of the utter lack of professionalism and consistency because if that was the case the number of clerks that got fired would be 100x higher then it is currently. That comes from the number of documented cases(abuse, theft, CBC, etc), which means there's many magnitude higher that havent been reported or documented.

Case point number 1: Alvin Crabtree. 2: Rolando Negrin

Consider Eygptair 990, so please tell me how TSA could stop this..... Its easy you all never would be a able to stop a determined individual who has there hands on the control and can take down that aircraft faster then thought from your head reaches you pants in a code brown. TSA has brained washed alot of people to think there on the front lines of the "wah or terrah" when in reality TSA is so far removed its not even funny, and its head is no where to be found because if rational thinking was in place we wouldnt be a at a level orange alert for 3+ years (Think of boy crying wolf) when the reality is half of "no credible threat" scares should mean we never should have left level green.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:46 pm

[QUOTE=

[url]http://gawker.com/5420989/the-gawker-guide-to-getting-past-airport-security-this-holiday-travel-season[/url]

Is the picture of TSOs real...I mean are they really TSOs...the unhappy, unsmiling faces....could it be that they are so disgusted with the acts they have to perform on the job........or are they officially not allowed to smile and have have a good disposition????
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I applaud anybody who can find a plausible way to defend TSA. It is a tough job, thankless too, and ultimately as logical as suggesting one can solve the problem of US national debt by cutting taxes. As i think of that maybe the solution is to eliminate TSA and start from scratch. That must work better than suggesting that pilots are unknown quantities compared with TSA staffers.
^^ to the suggestion in bold. All we have now is "security" that is nothing more than kabuki theater forced upon a gullible public by a group of government employees who know that the longer they maintain a climate of fear, the longer they keep their jobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.