Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
(a) Who died and made you king? Give us a break with your "strike"s.
The same person who appointed you FlyerTalk's spokesperson when you said, "The vast majority of this board is highly supportive of the "Opt-Out" approach." What makes you think YOU are in a position to talk about what most FTers think?

(b) Fact: everyone on this board who declines a WBI scan knows that they are doing so in the full knowledge that they will be subjected to a "thorough" manual pat-down. The logical conclusion is that they are providing their consent to such pat down.
That's what you consider a "logical" conclusion? Some states give condemned prisoners a choice between a firing squad and the gas chamber. Do you think someone who turns down the gas chamber is "consenting" to a firing squad? I suppose you've never heard the term, "lesser of two evils"?

Should this not be the case, then they should be staying at home and writing furiously to their elected representatives to have the rules changed.
And many of us are. However, what you also don't understand is that the right to discuss issues is fundamental in the U.S., and doing so in a public discussion forum like this is one very good way to communicate the massive failures of that travesty called TSA.

What on earth does this have to do with the discussion? If you've got a complaint about the fact that airline employees are subjected to screening like everyone else, go write a thread about it.
Evidently you and TSORon learned to read at the same school. I don't have a complaint about the fact that airline employees are subject to screening like everyone else. I have a complaint that pilots are subject to screening like everyone else because it is the perfect illustration of the stupidity of the security theater to which we are all subject. While we're on the subject of logic, you do understand that though a pilot is an airline employee, an airline employee is not necessarily a pilot, right?

This is about something completely different. It's unfortunate that you don't realise this simple point.
Did you read the first post? I'll summarize it for you: an airline pilot objected to WBI and a pat down and, as a result, couldn't fly. I don't know what you think this thread is about, but you really need to review the first (and subsequent) posts.

Let's continue the discussion once you grasp what it's about. Currently, you do not.
Let's see a show of hands:

All who think I don't have a grasp of what this discussion is about, raise your hands.

Hmmm, only you and TSORon.

All who think star_world doesn't have a grasp of what this discussion is about, raise your hands.

Well, well -- it's everyone else.

That's nice - again, you should start a thread complaining about it.
No need to. SpatialD already has.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Talking

wow, I am digging the emotions in this thread.

I think deep down we all believe the TSA is a joke and wastes our time and money.

Some people go down the "can i?" path and will adhere to anything anyone in an authoritative position states...

Others go down the "why can't I?" path are serve as checks and balance measures for shoddy rules and regulations.

In the end, if it doesn't work and/or if you can't justify the actions, then you shouldn't be enforcing said action. The people draw the line, the customers keep the planes in the air and the airports functioning, not the other way around.

Maybe it is time we all mustered up some guts and stood up to make a difference on how our skies are handled... this guy put his career on the line for it... ^^^
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
The same person who appointed you FlyerTalk's spokesperson when you said, "The vast majority of this board is highly supportive of the "Opt-Out" approach." What makes you think YOU are in a position to talk about what most FTers think?
That is a piece of knowledge I gained from the act of reading ^

...assuming people are writing about what they actually think here - a reasonable assumption.

That's what you consider a "logical" conclusion? Some states give condemned prisoners a choice between a firing squad and the gas chamber. Do you think someone who turns down the gas chamber is "consenting" to a firing squad? I suppose you've never heard the term, "lesser of two evils"?
You are not very good at supposing

Being a "lawyer" you are indeed good at deflecting points by throwing back a scattering of unrelated babble. But what do you think?

I presented a way out in my post above - if you don't consent to this manual pat-down which you know you will have applied to you by declining the WBI, you choose to stay at home and fight the system. To put the OP's complaint in your terms it's like the condemned prisoner waltzing out of his cell saying "you know what Joe, I'm actually not going with either option, now out of my way while I go home.

What do you think?

And many of us are. However, what you also don't understand
Love the arrogant, assumptive attitude. I understand perfectly, don't you worry about that ^

Evidently you and TSORon learned to read at the same school. I don't have a complaint about the fact that airline employees are subject to screening like everyone else. I have a complaint that pilots are subject to screening like everyone else because it is the perfect illustration of the stupidity of the security theater to which we are all subject.
You know, I'm pretty sure I didn't learn at the same school. But to return to my complaint about you totally dodging the issue at hand - let me break it down for you. Pilots are airline employees. Got it? I think it's crazy that they are subjected to the same security as everyone else - in vast portions of the world they are not. But guess what - that's the system that is in place in the US today, and the OP knew that when he walked through the door of the airport.

While we're on the subject of logic, you do understand that though a pilot is an airline employee, an airline employee is not necessarily a pilot, right?
That contribution to the thread should be framed for posterity.

Did you read the first post? I'll summarize it for you: an airline pilot objected to WBI and a pat down and, as a result, couldn't fly. I don't know what you think this thread is about, but you really need to review the first (and subsequent) posts.
Reading, comprehension and logic were skills I learned many, many years ago. I certainly don't need your assistance. Here's a point of logic for you - disagreeing with you does not equal not understanding. Got it?

Let's see a show of hands:

All who think I don't have a grasp of what this discussion is about, raise your hands.

Hmmm, only you and TSORon.
Add this one to the framed collection.

All who think star_world doesn't have a grasp of what this discussion is about, raise your hands.

Well, well -- it's everyone else.
Have you got an opinion on this subject at all? Is it buried in there? Somewhere? Or are you going to continue to dodge the issue entirely. Wait - I already know the answer. I can't speak for everyone else

No need to. SpatialD already has.
Please read more closely ^
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
I honestly should be surprised at the responses that the OP has received here, but I am not.

Surprised because the majority of individuals who have responded have in the past stated that airline employee’s should not receive special treatment at the checkpoint and should be forced to undergo the same screening as everyone else who boards a commercial aircraft. Most have also demanded that airport employees need to undergo the same screening despite the fact that they do not board commercial aircraft for the purpose of transport.

The reason I am not is because this is the “Have my Cake and Eat it Too” crowd. The color of their story changes with any wind that they think is going to make TSA look bad, and it does not matter if it contradicts any statements they have made in the past. It’s the “now” story that matters. Some have done it in this very thread.

OP, I’m sorry that your story ended up as it has, but you were fully aware at the time that checkpoint screening is a mandatory part of your job. If this is too much of a burden to bear then may I suggest that you switch to a private carrier, or a GA contract carrier.

As for the rest, well I can hear the replies now without you ever putting fingers to keyboard. “It’s the AIT that we object to in this thread, what we said in the past has no relevance to AIT”, or “Our position is not contradictory, your just not looking at it right.” Or statements similar. Sorry, your records on this is clear, and every single one of you have just changed with the wind. Not an unexpected outcome honestly, its not the first time.
Ron, if a pilot who could easily crash his plane into anything he wanted is not exempt from screening then why are the airport workers not screened to the same degree each time they enter the sterile area?

I suggest that the wind does not have to change direction to make TSA look bad, TSA does that all by itself.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:11 pm

Thank you for your civil courage.

The OP has my full support. One or two posters in this thread are obviously TSA employed, TSA hired, or TSA invested. Otherwise their blind promotion of the crazy TSA "security" policies is inexplicable. If you accept this kind of nonsense in airports, then there is NOTHING that will stop this from speading to railway stations, bus terminals, schools, malls, and, eventually, homes. (Welcome to 1984.) This needs to be stopped while we still can.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:23 pm

Although I am a TSA employee and fully support the use of the AIT and enhanced security measures, I do applaud Mr. Roberts. He stood up for what he believes in at much personal cost to himself. It takes much courage to risk one's employment over a moral issue. You don't have to share his philosophical beliefs in order to admire his willingness to suffer the consequences for following a path he believes is right.

I think that this case may provide a good test case for the use of the AIT. I don't know if the judicial system is the best route to fight the AIT. But many of you believe that the program is an unconstitutional intrusion on individual rights. The courts are the ultimate decider of constitutionality, so this may be the way to test that theory. Mr. Roberts has standing because he was denied entry into his workplace because of his refusal to submit to a pat down. The court would be in the position of either allowing TSA to continue the AIT/enhanced pat down program or to rule it unconstitutional.

I would enjoy following the arguments and the decision rendered by the courts. This case is complicated and I don't think it is as much of a slam dunk as many here probably do. And the courts may rule on a tangent. But that is the risk with the judicial route.

One suggestion is to get a good lawyer immediately. He will probably advise you to stop writing and talking about the case. You may be fired for being AWOL from work which you would be able to tie directly to TSA. However if I were the airline I would fire you for authoring another post in this thread encouraging people not to fly to protest the AIT. Although you certainly have freedom of speech, I think that your employer certainly has a reasonable expectation that you will not advocate a boycott of it's product.

Castro
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
So at the end of the day what have you accomplished?
You got your "good job" and applause here and yet you might have managed to destroy a career. At the end of the month no one will remember what you did. No one will be buying your dinner or making any bill payments on your behalf. You have become a paper hero and that is sad.
I understand your point. But was it worth it? That is how the judgement is passed at the end of the day.
No one is exempt from being picked for the AIT machine. Since your career consists of an exploitable avenue from a security standpoint, you should know that.
Eyecue, is it your position that a free people should just roll over in the face of tyranny?

edit to add: Are TSA employees screened via AIT Strip Search Machines when going on duty?

Originally Posted by patom
My, my look who's back. First post since October 2nd.
Seems there is some unfinished business to be taken care of.

Should have said NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM BEING PICKED FOR THE AIT. My bad.

I dont remember the name of the movie about the fake pilot. Two things come to mind.
1. He SAYS that he is who he is.
2. A uniform is all anyone has to go by and those and the ID that is with it can be fraudulently obtained or stolen. Hence the AIT referral.

As far as number two, didn't the professional TSA Travel Document Checker verify this persons ID is in possession of the right person and that the ID is in fact valid?

Or is this another area that TSA cannot perform correctly?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:36 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by TSORon
I honestly should be surprised at the responses that the OP has received here, but I am not.

Surprised because the majority of individuals who have responded have in the past stated that airline employee’s should not receive special treatment at the checkpoint and should be forced to undergo the same screening as everyone else who boards a commercial aircraft. Most have also demanded that airport employees need to undergo the same screening despite the fact that they do not board commercial aircraft for the purpose of transport.

The reason I am not is because this is the “Have my Cake and Eat it Too” crowd. The color of their story changes with any wind that they think is going to make TSA look bad, and it does not matter if it contradicts any statements they have made in the past. It’s the “now” story that matters. Some have done it in this very thread.

OP, I’m sorry that your story ended up as it has, but you were fully aware at the time that checkpoint screening is a mandatory part of your job. If this is too much of a burden to bear then may I suggest that you switch to a private carrier, or a GA contract carrier.

As for the rest, well I can hear the replies now without you ever putting fingers to keyboard. “It’s the AIT that we object to in this thread, what we said in the past has no relevance to AIT”, or “Our position is not contradictory, your just not looking at it right.” Or statements similar. Sorry, your records on this is clear, and every single one of you have just changed with the wind. Not an unexpected outcome honestly, its not the first time.
Yawn, scratch crotch and sniff. Hmm, smells bad. Yawn again and turn over to crack off a fart. Go back to sleep. Repeat.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: Bellanca Turbo Viking, AA Gold/Plat
So - you walk up to AIT - and refuse. That's ok. I support that.

You then are told you need to be frisked - which is standard procedure if you refuse AIT. This is the new rule. You refused - and thusly were refused access to the secure area.

Thoughts:

1. The AIT is something I will refuse whenever it is the option - I really don't care if they see my junk - I care about the radiation. So I'll support you there.

2. Refusing that screening means not the old fashioned metal detector if you alarm it you get a search - the rule is you get a pat down.

3. If you intend to bring a lawsuit that the AIT/frisk process is unconstitutional - then you shall lose. No appellate court nor the USSC will rule that the TSA bureaucrats do not have the ability to set the security rules anyhow they want so long as there is the remotest tie in to security - no one wants to be seen as 'anti-security.'

4. The only argument that might work - and it would take some heavy legal support - is that Congress lacks the power to regulate security as part of regulating interstate transportation by air since it is not an enumerated power in the Constitution. I fear that horse and buggy left the station in the 1800's when they started hiring guards for the Pony Express and the railroads.

If you KNEW the pat down rule - refused - and missed your work day and get fired - thats the choice you made that day. Good luck in another career since no airline will ever hire you.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comanchepilot
3. If you intend to bring a lawsuit that the AIT/frisk process is unconstitutional - then you shall lose. No appellate court nor the USSC will rule that the TSA bureaucrats do not have the ability to set the security rules anyhow they want so long as there is the remotest tie in to security - no one wants to be seen as 'anti-security.'
The courts have held that TSA is allowed to perform administrative searches in the interest of security but requires that they be minimally intrusive. Otherwise, they violate the 4th Amendment rights of those who are searched. Pat downs are, arguably, minimally intrusive. "Enhanced" pat downs that require, among other things, manipulating genitalia are something altogether different. I'd like to hear a judge explain why have your penis and balls fondled is "minimally intrusive."
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:23 pm

If you intend to bring a lawsuit that the AIT/frisk process is unconstitutional - then you shall lose. No appellate court nor the USSC will rule that the TSA bureaucrats do not have the ability to set the security rules anyhow they want so long as there is the remotest tie in to security - no one wants to be seen as 'anti-security.'
No court will rule as you suggest. It certainly is not the case that the TSA (or any government agency) can "set the security rules anyhow they want". There's always a balance between security and personal liberty.

This case is much more interesting than the passenger situation. The courts have been unclear as to whether somebody has the right to travel by air, but it's universally recognized that people have a right to enter their workplace. And it's hard to make the case that there's a compelling governmental interest in thoroughly screening somebody who legitimately has access to the flight deck of an aircraft.

The courts have held that TSA is allowed to perform administrative searches in the interest of security but requires that they be minimally intrusive.
Has the issue of whether it's legal to require consenting to an administrative search as a condition of employment ever been litigated? It seems to me one could argue that it consists of tortious interference in the contract between the pilot and the airline.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:35 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:36 pm

The danger of "new rules"

So - you walk up to AIT - and refuse. That's ok. I support that.

You then are told you need to be frisked - which is standard procedure if you refuse AIT. This is the new rule. You refused - and thusly were refused access to the secure area.

Thoughts:

1. The AIT is something I will refuse whenever it is the option - I really don't care if they see my junk - I care about the radiation. So I'll support you there.

2. Refusing that screening means not the old fashioned metal detector if you alarm it you get a search - the rule is you get a pat down.

4. The only argument that might work - and it would take some heavy legal support - is that Congress lacks the power to regulate security as part of regulating interstate transportation by air since it is not an enumerated power in the Constitution. I fear that horse and buggy left the station in the 1800's when they started hiring guards for the Pony Express and the railroads.

If you KNEW the pat down rule - refused - and missed your work day and get fired - thats the choice you made that day. Good luck in another career since no airline will ever hire you.
When OP originally started working as a pilot, there was no AIT/enhanced patdown. It's totally ridiculous, IMHO, to say things like "if you don't like it, get a new job."

I used to work in a big skyscraper, the kind that was a nice juicy target for terrorists. What's to stop the building owners or various security entities (NYPD, etc.) from "deciding" that all employees should have to go through AIT to work there? What then? Should I just go get a new job? Think that would be okay?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: United
No one is exempt from being picked for the AIT machine. Since your career consists of an exploitable avenue from a security standpoint, you should know that.
Really? So, if a sitting US Senator was picked for the AIT they must comply or not fly?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Really? So, if a sitting US Senator was picked for the AIT they must comply or not fly?
Or change the law.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by star_world

I'm ignoring all of your commentary surrounding the issue and focusing on this key principle. The rules shouldn't apply to you because...?
If Mr. Roberts was licensed to carry a weapon into the cockpit, the TSO would simply let him enter the sterile area with absolutely no checks, something which I and many others on this forum have noticed (and have no problem with, except for those who don't like the idea of fire arms in the cockpit ... not me).

So why should the rules apply to pilots who don't guns?

Anyway, every pilot should get a license to carry a gun in the cockpit, even if they don't actually bring one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.