booking a multicity with OTA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
booking a multicity with OTA

hi guys,

I planned a multi city ticket with ITA Matrix and I found a way to book it easy with Priceline... is it risky to do it so? do you have any recommendations?

I mention that i made a simulation for that planned flights on operator/s website but the prices are at least 50% bigger...

Also... will I get a SINGLE PNR for all flights if I book them via priceline (one booking for all)? flights are from THY, HA and UA.

thank you a lot
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:36 pm

This will be on one ticket. PNR's are airline specific, so each airline will always have seperate PNR's. One ticket ensures you can through check baggage and will be protected if you miss a connection.

Priceline is safe, but it can be a hassle and expensive if you need to change your ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A PNR can have several tickets (ticket numbers) from different airlines
Each airline will/may have its own PNR in addition to the travel agent PNR

If there are any problems with the "multi city ticket" do not expect any help/assistance/customer service from the OTA. These organisation are not travel agents, but xxxx computer programmers. I suspect a lot of the people on the end of the OTA phones have never seen an large aircraft close up or actually flown as a passenger.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A PNR can have several tickets (ticket numbers) from different airlines
Each airline will/may have its own PNR in addition to the travel agent PNR

If there are any problems with the "multi city ticket" do not expect any help/assistance/customer service from the OTA. These organisation are not travel agents, but xxxx computer programmers. I suspect a lot of the people on the end of the OTA phones have never seen an large aircraft close up or actually flown as a passenger.
A PNR from priceine will only have one ticket number for each person. A single ticket can have any number of airlines on it as long as they have interline agrements. Priceline will not sell a multi ticket itenirary in one single transaction. Each airline and priceline give the itenary their own PNR. For more complex itenaraies each airline's PNR may not show the complete trip, but you are still protected because it is a single ticket. Any problems encountered are the responsibility of the airline. Unless you voluntary try to change your ticket before departure the travel agent has nothing to do with problems (like a missed connection). You may encounter an agent not sure how to handle a multi airline ticket, but you will be taken care of eventually. For the price differences you are describing I would not hesitate to buy the ticket through priceline unless you think you will need to change it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon
hi guys,

I planned a multi city ticket with ITA Matrix
try the ita matrix script, see if it's bookable directly on an airline website (probably not, dont think any of them are partners/codeshare/...)

i always prefer to book directly on airlines, not thru an OTA. less chance of OTA/airline passing the buck to each other on issues

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
try the ita matrix script, see if it's bookable directly on an airline website (probably not, dont think any of them are partners/codeshare/...)

i always prefer to book directly on airlines, not thru an OTA. less chance of OTA/airline passing the buck to each other on issues

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
hi,
I booked my ticket with bookwithmatrix via Priceline and everything was fine. reservations confirmed by THY, UA and HA, all in one PNR (a different PNR for each airline)

10.08 // Turkish Airlines // TK 1044: OTP - IST // A330
10.08 // Turkish Airlines // TK 79: IST - SFO // B77W

16.08 // Hawaiian Airlines // HA 41: SFO - OGG // A330
16.08 // Hawaiian Airlines // HA 215: OGG - HNL // B717

23.08 // United Airlines // UA 534: HNL - LAX // B772

25.08 // Turkish Airlines // TK 10: LAX - IST // B77W
26.08 // Turkish Airlines // TK 1045: IST - OTP // A321

total: 1402$... I couldnt make it that cheap using multicity tool from THY, UA or HA or Google Flights, IMO is a great deal

Last edited by GBobon; Feb 27, 2017 at 8:33 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot
A PNR from priceine will only have one ticket number for each person. A single ticket can have any number of airlines on it as long as they have interline agrements. Priceline will not sell a multi ticket itenirary in one single transaction. Each airline and priceline give the itenary their own PNR. For more complex itenaraies each airline's PNR may not show the complete trip, but you are still protected because it is a single ticket. Any problems encountered are the responsibility of the airline. Unless you voluntary try to change your ticket before departure the travel agent has nothing to do with problems (like a missed connection). You may encounter an agent not sure how to handle a multi airline ticket, but you will be taken care of eventually. For the price differences you are describing I would not hesitate to buy the ticket through priceline unless you think you will need to change it.
I have received from priceline 3 PNRs, for each airline I will fly with, but on each PNR I have all flights and I have confirmation from THY, UA and HA that is totally fine.
my journey is stick to date dates, so no changes will be required, hope so
thank you for replying
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:37 am

Multicity has certain dangers.
Priceline and other combine carriers that do not have an agreement between themselves and this can be risky (in case of delay you lose the next flight). Normally PNR has carriers that cooperate (in case they cooperate it is unlikely that the next plane will leave in case of delay). BUT ... sometimes OTAs create their own pnrs. In such cases there is a danger. Try calling the carrier give the pnr and ask them what is the itinerary. Then you will find out. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:52 am

I also recently booked a multi-city itinerary using ITA Matrix and priceline. A few people recommended priceline as a good way to book the ITA Matrix fares. I soon received confirmations, reference numbers etc. The price was good and the process was pretty easy.

However, the airline's own website shows the booking as 'not yet ticketed'. The airline told me this was pretty normal.

The flights are still several weeks away, so I am not worried yet. I assume that priceline simply hasn't paid the airlines yet. Does anybody have any idea how long it normally takes for the tickets to be 'issued'? I assume, perhaps unfairly, that calling priceline will be painful.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:37 am

Quick follow-up, after the flights, in case anybody is following:
Calling priceline wasn't that painful! The flights were ticketed almost immediately but didn't show up on the airline's website as the two airlines' systems don't integrate as well as they might. A phone call to the airline clarified this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.