Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

[Priceline Bidding] New site for Priceline hotel bidding help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Priceline Bidding] New site for Priceline hotel bidding help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
OMG.

You sir, are the man. I love to bid through priceline, and had always hoped someone would have something like this. Except you've greatly exceeded my expectations.

Thank you again.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:39 pm

I like your approach and openness in replying to questions raised by FT members and you obviously have good programming skills. So before anything else, best wishes.

I have a few questions myself:

(1) Do you plan to monetize this project and, if so, how?
(2) What is the source for your prior win data?

To actually submit bids requires the use of Internet Explorer and the installation of an ActiveX control. IE warns against that. What makes you a trusted site?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Originally Posted by vagabond2
(1) Do you plan to monetize this project and, if so, how?

+1
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam

Posted 12/17
Originally Posted by biddingtraveler

Also, what is probably not clear and that we need to message more clearly is that the bidding is actually done by your own computer (it's just driven by some automation software we wrote). So there's no issue of personal information getting stored on our servers.. all we do is set it up so that your own computer can do it. This makes it safer for everyone, since we don't have to store credit card numbers -- everything goes between you and Priceline. tailored for your query.

Posted 12/19

- First, all you holdouts who are worried about credit cards: you talked, we listened. After one all-nighter marathon coding session, I think you'll really like the changes. In particular not only did we completely eliminate credit card collection from our pages, but we eliminated all address and personal info collection too. Now there's no excuse! Go try it!
Originally Posted by vagabond2

To actually submit bids requires the use of Internet Explorer and the installation of an ActiveX control. IE warns against that. What makes you a trusted site?
So on 12/17 you say no personal info is collected, but on 12/19 you say NOW, after further programming, that no personal info is collected. Which is it, or is it neither?

As vagabond2 points out, you place an ActiveX program on the users computer, and IE warns against this because this is a common approach of hackers. Can you present a security certificate from a recognized issuer, or other proof that we should let you on our machines?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:44 am

Edit: My earlier objection to not having control of the size of bid increments is retracted because BIDDINGTRAVELLER will now provide the amount of the starting bid, bid increments, and final bid before the bidder completes the Priceline bidding form. +

Isn't it likely that BIDDINGTRAVELLER has already monetized his store by joining the Priceline Partner Network Hotel Affiliate Program in order to get a commission from each successful booking that is made through his system?

Last edited by rmiller774; Dec 22, 2010 at 10:40 am
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, AA,
What is the bid increment "path". Linear?

What is the bid increment "path". Linear?

Example
Min: 50. Max: 70
Free rebids: 4 (based on Star level & zones, calculated by your software or manually at PL)
so...(70-50)/4 = $5

Example
50 (initial)
55 (+$5 rebid 1)
60 (+$5 rebid 2)
65 (+$5 rebid 3)
70 (+$5 rebid 4)

If not linear...then?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jabez
LION
Good to see you again. You still playing poker?
When I can find a place where it isn't a felony.

QL
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:45 pm

Trying for BKK, the map first correctly showed the relevant zones. But once I clicked on one of the "xxx hotels won" links, the display changed into a map of the entire Eastern Hemisphere, with one pin on BKK and another on Africa. And I could only see information for one hotel. Same experience when I tried for SIN.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Sounds interesting, hence giving it a try. Up-post mentioned system being slow. I plugged in criteria for a search, clicked SEARCH (several times and still did not see any sign that something is "moving". Come back here to FT and type this message. Switch browser tab to The BiddingTraveler site, and it has not moved a hair! Could be my problem, but doubted.
Any idea?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Truly appreciate the bug reports, guys. And apologies for not responding that promptly. I've just been so busy scrambling to fix all the errors reported through our own logging.

I'll try to quickly address some issues here then get back to fixing bugs

allset2travel: Did the search button turn green? You need to pick from the autocomplete dropdown. If it did, what city were you searching for?
Bangkok map pins: Got it. On the list. Probably a geocoding error.
control over bid increments: We will now show you what the starting bid is, what the bid increment is, and what the final bid will be prior to you filling out anything on Priceline.

credit cards / personal information: The initial design of the site was to collect the information necessary to complete a bid on a webpage protected with SSL (the same technology that secures online shopping), where it was transferred to the server and persisted only long enough to set up the bidding. It was never stored at the server, ever. Personal information and credit cards are a freaking hassle, anyway. It's funny how people complain about having to give it. We don't even want it!

Anyway, the subsequent tweak was to just let Priceline collect that information so it would never even be sent to our servers. It would stay in Internet Explorer's memory long enough for your bids.. then once you close the window, it's gone, forever. That just makes it even more obvious to people that we don't care about personal information.

Yet a third tweak to the site which went live yesterday is that now we have support for signed in, saved credit cards. That means you don't even have to type it in on Priceline. Just login to your Priceline account first then come to Bidding Traveler. The credit card won't even be seen and your address won't even be shown!

ActiveX: Any technology can be used for good or bad.. it's not limited to any one particular technology. Google uses ActiveX to let you call phones from Gmail in IE, but idiots use it to serve you fake antivirus warnings. The only thing I can suggest is just to use your common sense. Spammers and hackers don't typically come to a site and try to engage with their users. KEN OBASANGO will offer you 48 BILLION DOLLARS or MissyHi42738 will try to get you to come and see 18-year booty on webcam. Well, let's just say that I ain't here to give you money and you sure as hell wouldn't want to see me live on a webcam.

We're busy working on the next iteration, which is really going to be awesome. Stay tuned in January!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Requires IE? Fail.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:09 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Any feel for when you will have other cities available? I so wanted to use your service this morning when I needed to get a room in D.C.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Any feel for when you will have other cities available? I so wanted to use your service this morning when I needed to get a room in D.C.
D.C. should definitely be supported. Anything in the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia should be supported. You probably entered "DC" in the search field.. just type "Washington" and you should get what you want.

The city search needs some improvements.. it doesn't support common aliases such as "DC" or "NYC" or airport codes (as Cordelli mentioned), but if you type in the city name of where you're going, it should find it.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:34 pm

Incorrect application of 24 hour rebid rule

An issue in a location with a lot of zones where location is more important then the absolute lowest price.

I picked my desired 3.5* zone and got nothing up to my limit. I wanted to start a new bid with a different 3.5* zone. I was prepared to pay up to my limit for a hotel in the original zone, even if I could have "won" a 3.5* hotel in a different (less acceptable) zone for less money. Your site said I already bid for a 3.5* hotel in Orlando and wouldn't let me start a bid in a zone I had previously not checked on your screen.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Now, regarding the bid increments, this has been something of a dilemna. Yes, if you did a 5 star in Vegas, or another area where you theoretically have thousands of bids at your disposal, and you could theoretically start a bid at zero and walk it up a dollar at a time until you hit the target. But this will just piss off the user, who has to wait, and Priceline, who sees useless bids clog the system.

Being somewhat of a data guy I believe the solution lies in the data itself.
There is no reason to start at zero and walk up the bids in $1 increments, that simply ignores how the Counteroffer works with Priceline. The use of fixed bid increments ignores the behavior of and information provided by the Counteroffer.

Assuming some number of re-bid opportunities, the way I bid, using the information provided by the behavior of Priceline's counteroffer to my advantage, is:

1) Start with a bid low enough that I'm 99% confident it will not be accepted, but much greater than $0. If I happen to win (which does happen sometimes), I'm quite happy with the price and still pretty sure I couldn't have gotten it much lower.

2) Bid in increments of $6 to $7 until I get a Counteroffer.

3) Once I get a Counteroffer, I know there is a hotel to be won for a price less than the Counteroffer. I look at how many rebid opportunities I have remaining and determine an appropriate increment to use given the maximum price information I now have, often just $1.

4) Start bidding with the new lower increment, and ultimately find out what hotel I'm getting.

It appears to me that the site's increments can be both too low (before a Counteroffer) and too high (after a Counteroffer).

Given the inferior bidding technique used by this site and the sacrifice of Cash Back through FatWallet, Ebates, or other such sites, I wouldn't use this site, but I can see how it would be useful to those less familiar with how rebids work or with less patience than I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.