FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FYI recent experiences booking an ex-CPT DONE5

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in. This one is so helpful it deserves a bump anyway.
The first itinerary I developed was CPT-DOH-BUD-DOH-US-Asia-HKG-LHR-CPT. Looking at it, I thought it was invalid for 2 reasons. It does violate 3.2.3 because of CPT-DOH-xxx-LHR-CPT. However, I thought if I changed the last two segments to HKG-xDOH-CPT it would still be invalid because I flew to Europe (BUD). This would be rule 3.2.2 which doesn't specify whether you can or cannot have segments between ME and Europe. So am I correct in interpreting, based on your battle, that the latter ending segments should result in a valid itinerary?

__________________________________________________ _______________
4(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:

3. Special provisions for travel which includes Africa:

For travel originating in Africa:
One of the following backtracks is permitted
Africa-Europe-RTW-Europe
One of the visits to Europe must be a
transfer without stopover between Africa
and the previous/next continent.
Travel may not include Mauritius/South Africa
Africa-Middle East-RTW-Middle East-Africa
One of the visits to Middle East must be a
transfer without stopover between Africa
and the previous/next continent.
Africa-Europe-RTW-Middle East-Africa
or
Africa-Middle East-RTW-Europe-Africa
Travel may not include any flown or surface sector
Between Europe and Middle East
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by skipaway
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in.
I see your point - there are a number of threads on the go that overlap to some extent:
- this thread
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...cpt-query.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ct-anyone.html
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-question.html

The last thread has addressed the backtracking rules in some detail. Post #10 is the crux of the issue. It states my understanding of the backtracking rule. In part it states:

The first column in the table describes the three possible departures from/returns to Africa – either both through the Europe zone, both through the Middle East zone, or one of each. It does nothing else; there are no restrictions hidden in its words - this is how the on-line tool works and how BA now interprets it (AFAIK, AA still misinterprets it - so someone, maybe the OP of this thread, needs to persuade AA to change its view).

The second column states the restrictions imposed for each possibility. These are the only restrictions imposed by having a second visit to Europe/Middle East.
The first itinerary I developed was CPT-DOH-BUD-DOH-US-Asia-HKG-LHR-CPT. Looking at it, I thought it was invalid for 2 reasons. It does violate 3.2.3 because of CPT-DOH-xxx-LHR-CPT.
For this itinerary you had chosen the backtracking rule 3.2.3 (one of each - out through the Middle East, back through Europe). This backtrack does not allow inter-zone flights and so yes your itinerary was invalid because of the DOH-BUD and BUD-DOH inter-zone flights
However, I thought if I changed the last two segments to HKG-xDOH-CPT it would still be invalid because I flew to Europe (BUD). This would be rule 3.2.2 which doesn't specify whether you can or cannot have segments between ME and Europe. So am I correct in interpreting, based on your battle, that the latter ending segments should result in a valid itinerary?
Yes! You are correct. With the change, you have now chosen the backtracking rule 3.2.2 (both visits through the Middle East). 3.2.2 doesn't say you cannot have segments between the zones - and therefore you can.

However, as I have pointed out in the other threads, some airlines (in particular I believe AA) misinterpret the rule - and so how well you go getting it ticketed might depend on who you ticket with.
I would be interesting to know Qatar Airways' view! After all that airline would profit by allowing the inter-zone flights (it would get the revenue for the DOH-BUD-DOH flights)

If you have a spare segment, or are willing to drop one (as I was in January*), then you could change the start to be CPT-JNB-DOH (or say DUR-CPT-DOH) and so can use the online tool, which will allow the inter-zone flights under 3.2.2

* I dropped PTY from my itinerary in order to make the start CPT-xJNB-DOH, but I still got there by using some spare Qantas FF points I had for a MIA-PTY return
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by pandaperth
However, as I have pointed out in the other threads, some airlines (in particular I believe AA) misinterpret the rule - and so how well you go getting it ticketed might depend on who you ticket with.
I would be interesting to know Qatar Airways' view! After all that airline would profit by allowing the inter-zone flights (it would get the revenue for the DOH-BUD-DOH flights)
You're going to love this--it's my response from Qatar:

Dear skipaway,

Thank you for contacting Qatar Airways Reservations contact center.

Our oneworld helpdesk has determined that your proposed itinerary below does not qualify for a oneworld product mainly because: backtracking between continents is never permitted.

In order to calculate a oneworld fare with Qatar Airways, we would have to be the first carrier.

Kindly visit the website dedicated to oneworld fares: https://www.oneworld.com/ and build your own itinerary: https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/

You may wish to contact our customer contact center once you have a tentative itinerary.

Thank you for your interest in Qatar Airways,

Best regards,

xxx
Lead Agent, Customer Contact Centre The Americas

Tel: +1 877 777 2827 Fax: +1 877 387 0196

Reply in progress. I can understand misinterpreting the rules, but it seems they don't know backtracking is allowed at all! And who did they think I was going to fly on from CPT to DOH? Etihad? I'll cut and paste the rules exceptions/restrictions that are in your previous post. I am not hopeful. Maybe QR should be an airline that another airline tickets for, like RJ is/was.

----------------

Moderator Note - I have redacted this post to remove the name of the agent. Members should refrain from using the names of specific airline personnel.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 26, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by skipaway
You're going to love this--it's my response from Qatar:

Dear skipaway,

Thank you for contacting Qatar Airways Reservations contact center.

Our oneworld helpdesk has determined that your proposed itinerary below does not qualify for a oneworld product mainly because: backtracking between continents is never permitted.

In order to calculate a oneworld fare with Qatar Airways, we would have to be the first carrier.

Kindly visit the website dedicated to oneworld fares: https://www.oneworld.com/ and build your own itinerary: https://rtw.oneworld.com/rtw/

You may wish to contact our customer contact center once you have a tentative itinerary.

Thank you for your interest in Qatar Airways,

Best regards,

xxx
Lead Agent, Customer Contact Centre The Americas

Tel: +1 877 777 2827 Fax: +1 877 387 0196

Reply in progress. I can understand misinterpreting the rules, but it seems they don't know backtracking is allowed at all! And who did they think I was going to fly on from CPT to DOH? Etihad? I'll cut and paste the rules exceptions/restrictions that are in your previous post. I am not hopeful. Maybe QR should be an airline that another airline tickets for, like RJ is/was.
The first time I contacted CX about quoting prices for oneworld products (in this case it was CX AU about a xASnn), they also tried to claim the "we would have to be the first carrier." misconception and said "go talk to QF".

I had to reply quoting the fare rules and advising them that the "first carrier tickets" was not a rule and was nothing more then a technical limitation of the booking tool.

Once I starting quoting fare rules at them, they quickly came back and quoted what I'd asked for.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 26, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.