Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at ORD (Chicago)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Cars at ORD (Chicago)

I have a reservation for luxury reserve at ORD for tomorrow. I would really like a SRX or Tahoe. Whats the best way to go about this. It was cheaper to reserve luxury than premium suv with my codes but luxury is more expensive than premium suv with standard rates. What if theres an SRX or Tahoe in the emerald aisle, can i just take it?

Looking forward to your suggestions. Going on 3 week vacation and I'm a nervous train wreck.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I guess i'll just wing it!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

There were 2 SRX's in the Luxury aisle along with 2 sts 2 dts and 2 300.

I sat in the SRX and it didnt seem as nice as the DTS. The cargo area in the SRX looked smaller than the DTS but taller of course. The back seat in the SRX felt cramped compared to the DTS.

The DTS had 350 miles on it......so I took the DTS.

I'm pretty sure I could have got a Tahoe but after sitting in a new caddy it was an easy choice.

I thought the Lot was very busy for a saturday afternoon.

Used the Paris "57" Hilton code and had no hassles.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:15 pm

I would have taken a sts over a dts anyday but i guess your into the comfort the dts provides.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:49 pm

Luxury had two SRXs, a DTS, and an Avalon when I was there yesterday.

When picking up from the executive selection on Thursday, the selection was all Chevrolet -- mostly new Malibus (10 or so), and a few impalas (3 or so). Ended up grabbing a nicely equipped impala.

Just as I was leaving, they rolled in two pontiac g8's.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Since this is in the forum index as the official ORD thread...

On a recent Wednesday afternoon (8/27/08), the pickings were fairly slim in the regular EA: a few HHRs, a PT Cruiser, a Saturn Vue, a VW sedan, and a Volvo sedan.

I eschewed the latter two because I wanted a car with either satellite radio or an iPod input jack (I was going to be driving to Iowa), and they appeared to have neither. Just as I was reluctantly loading my stuff into an HHR, a 2009 Saturn Aura with 3,800 miles on the odometer was driven over, and I grabbed it.

Turned out those were 3,800 hard miles -- the keyless entry remote that was wired to the keys didn't work (found its twin in the trunk, which did; opened the bad one up, and it appeared the battery had leaked and damaged the circuit board), the cap was missing on the valve stem on the right rear tire (had to add air at a gas station), and two storage compartment latches were broken (both in the center console). But it drove fine.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74

On a recent Wednesday afternoon (8/27/08), the pickings were fairly slim in the regular EA: a few HHRs, a PT Cruiser, a Saturn Vue, a VW sedan, and a Volvo sedan.

I eschewed the latter two because I wanted a car with either satellite radio or an iPod input jack (I was going to be driving to Iowa), and they appeared to have neither. Just as I was reluctantly loading my stuff into an HHR, a 2009 Saturn Aura with 3,800 miles on the odometer was driven over, and I grabbed it.
How did you know it was the 2009 model? I assume you looked in the glove box for the manual, or are there exterior features that distinguish it?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, AC SE, UA 1K, IC Plat A
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How did you know it was the 2009 model? I assume you looked in the glove box for the manual, or are there exterior features that distinguish it?
first all, no rental car gives out manual .. unless there are exterior features that distinguish it, some time it is hard to tell what model the car is
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by g7mcmug
first all, no rental car gives out manual .. unless there are exterior features that distinguish it, some time it is hard to tell what model the car is
The insurance / registration documents?

Ron.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by g7mcmug
Really? The last car I rented from DCA had a manual in the glove compartment. Most rental cars I've used had manuals.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
The only thing in the glove box was the registration paperwork. The owner's manual was in the trunk, along with the extra keyless entry remote and various other items of little consequence (such as the trunk cargo netting, the OnStar system manual, and a blank satisfaction checklist that the dealer would presumably have filled out if this weren't a fleet car).

Getting a rental car with only 3,800 miles on it in late August, I would have assumed it was a 2009 model anyway, especially given how much the car manufacturers have bumped up the beginning of their model years.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Getting a rental car with only 3,800 miles on it in late August, I would have assumed it was a 2009 model anyway, especially given how much the car manufacturers have bumped up the beginning of their model years.
Sorry, but IME, National's more likely to give us the last of the old, not first of the new.

If a car has a manual it seems more likely to be in the trunk than the glove box.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sorry, but IME, National's more likely to give us the last of the old, not first of the new.
Probably true, although this August 12 post from a National employee at PHX did mention that 2009 models were "trickling in."
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL GE

I eschewed the latter two because I wanted a car with either satellite radio or an iPod input jack (I was going to be driving to Iowa), and they appeared to have neither... snip
I am pretty sure Volvo keeps the jack inside the glove box...
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
The Volvo S60 has the aux input inside the center console in between the seats. It's a decent car I've gotten used to, which is why I usually take that off ES if its available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.