Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at ORD (Chicago)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
My last 2 trips to ORD the ES/EA aisle had 0 SUV's or anything beyond an impala or altima. Both times were a Friday night. I just stay on the bus, get dropped off and then go pick up an SUV off of the lot. Never had a problem. It might help that I have 37 rentals this year for 115 days though.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was at ORD a couple of Thursday nights ago - same deal on the ES. There was one lone RAV4, but the keys were locked into the car. The rest of the cars were evenly split between Altimas, Camrys, Grand Marqs, and a lone Impala.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Ditto

There a few days ago and it was 1 Grand Marquis 3 Impalas 3 Camrys and one or 2 other cars. Pretty weak.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Picked up a weekend rental yesterday (Fri night) at Executive Selection and there were tons of Malibus, and some Avalons, Altimas and XG300 (or whatever that Hyundai model is). My beef with the ORD setup is the fact is that they are lined up 3-4 cars deep, so you really only have access to the front car, unless you're willing to move cars around to access the 2nd/3rd/4th car deep. (Aside from my other complaint about ORD that the National bus to get from the terminal to the rental place comes about every 30 minutes it seems; huge waste of time).

I've also been there on Saturdays mid-days recently, and the selection then was much more sparse. Once recently there were LITERALLY no cars (in ES or EA). After recovering from my shock, I drove (a friend had driven with me to pick up the car) back to the main area to get a car. By the time I was checking out, they had put maybe 3 cars into ES.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:50 am

Any update guys heading off in 10 days?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by darientes
Any update guys heading off in 10 days?
I was there Thursday night--11PM. Emerald Aisle had 2 Explorers; Executive Selection had Explorers and Tahoes. That's it.

I used to own Explorers/Mountaineers; but hadn't driven one in 10 years. No idea they had gotten that bad. That massive center console made it impossible for me to find a comfortable driving position.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:59 pm

Does ORD have a much better selection than MDW? I'm trying to choose my flight...
Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I rented at ORD Friday morning. Decent selection. ES had a few Camrys, a new Maxima, an Altima, a Town Car and the new small SUV from GMC (Terrain?)

I was driving all the way to central Wisconsin for the weekend so chose a Camry for the 30+ MPG. Unfortunately, this Camry had over 25,000 miles, tires that were getting quite bald and an expired North Carolina tag. By the time I noticed the tires and the expired tag I was already off the lot, so didn't figure it was worth the time to go back and exchange the car. I should have paid more attention and picked another Camry off the ES.

Either way, not a bad variety of cars for a $57 all-in, 3 day weekend rental (thanks to the free weekend day coupon from the "Last Minute Specials" on National's site).
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Currently in a Nissan Sentra picked up at the ORD EA. About 25K miles. A pretty awful car, and I'm not a fussy renter.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:51 pm

Meant to post this a few weeks ago, but for anyone who hasn't been to ORD National in a little while, they've switched up the EA/ES layout. Whereas previously ES was on the left (off the bus) and EA on the right, both are now on the right, with EA closer to the National/Alamo and ES closer to the checkout gates. They are separated by a small fence.

It was all a little confusing the last time I rented (because it was POURING), but the quarterly National email mentioned that it was because they were building overhead coverings for this area, which will mean hopefully perusing the car selection in the future (whenever that's completed!) without getting soaked.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The move of the EA/ES is because they are constructing a canopy area where the ES used to be. ^ Got to the ES tonight at 5:45pm to pick up a car for a one-day free-day one-way and it was full of cars - easily 45, mostly full-premium-luxury sedans. Unfortunately with the construction, only about 8 cars were actually available to take. Fortunately, I managed to get a 300 with 3k miles, leather and satellite radio.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Good selection on the ES when I was there last week, too -- Grand Marquis, a Town Car or two, a couple of SUVs, a LaCrosse, and a few other things I'm not remembering. Took a Grand Cherokee with low miles.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Yesterday, the ES had only Town Cars, a Marquis, a few pick-ups and full size SUVs. I needed something smaller since I would be staying in the city. I went to the EA, and it only had PT cruisers and a few Kias. I took one of those Kias to the other side of the lot and parked it in the Midsize area. I then went over to the fullsize lot and picked out a low mileage Charger.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Taj Silver
I got there a couple days ago and the only options in ES were four minivans and a Hyundai Sonata.

I was unimpressed, though the Sonata had more pickup than I expected (and working XM radio).
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:16 pm

I was able to pick up a Traverse from the ES this past weekend at ORD. There was also the regular mid/full-size sedan selection.

I'd also note that the canopy is done. They still park the cars 2-3 deep, which is annoying, but at least now, you can get some shelter from inclement weather. Plus, the lights allow you to see if your potential rental is dinged/scratched...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.