Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Looking to buy an iPad soon for an upcoming b-day gift. What is best way to get AA miles on the purchase? I see J&R and MacMall require you to call in to order so it doesn't look like I'd get miles for the purchase. Any other options?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:21 pm

Just want to point out that Apple has returned to the UR mall, and is now listed at 2pt/$.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Just want to point out that Apple has returned to the UR mall, and is now listed at 2pt/$.
Wow - thanks for the post. Glad to hear it! No iMac, unfortunately.

Here are the current terms, just to have a reference:

Apple Store Terms & Conditions
Apple Care Protection is not eligible. Not eligible on iMac. The iPad mini and iPad with Retina Display are eligible as of 11/6/12. iPhone 5 orders are eligible as of 9/22/12. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Gift Wrap, One to One Membership, and shipping are not eligible. Purchases made through the phone or through government and employee purchase program stores are not eligible. The Apple Store sells and ships products to end user customers only; you may not purchase for resale. Eligible only to a customer for up to five (5) units per eligible product, except iPhone, in which case only two (2) units within a thirty-day (30-day) period are eligible. Only coupons found on the mall are eligible. Not eligible on purchases that leave the Apple Store U.S. site. iPhone purchases require a two-year wireless service contract; a credit check is done online and customer must be approved for purchase before purchase is complete. Personal Pickup items are eligible. All Bose products are not eligible. Only iPhone sales where the purchase is completed online are eligible. Purchases made at the Education Store are only eligible if made by an individual for personal use.
Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible for reward.
Bolding mine - if you are about to purchase something in an Apple store, go on their Wifi, order online for pickup in store, and then it's usually ready in a few minutes.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow - thanks for the post. Glad to hear it! No iMac, unfortunately.

Here are the current terms, just to have a reference:

Bolding mine - if you are about to purchase something in an Apple store, go on their Wifi, order online for pickup in store, and then it's usually ready in a few minutes.
I've done in-store pick up before and it worked fine. I got the points promptly. It even worked for a refurbished product I had shipped to the store for pick up, and another product that was purchased with an education discount. I am a little bit frustrated because my SO bought a new apple TODAY, just BEFORE I noticed that apple had returned to the UR mall. Disappointing.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Was glad to see it come back today and not tomorrow. Stopped on the way home and picked up my wife an iPad mini for her birthday (in store pickup)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Been following this thread for a while in advance of a big purchase. If I have it right, even with the new T&C and the re-appearance of the Apple Store on portals, it is still 100% impossible to:

Get an iMac via any FF shopping portal with Apple Care included using an SPG AMEX (read: extending Apple Care warranty).

Disappointing, if true. Any work-arounds that allow me to do *all* of the above (legally, of course)?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:25 pm

Maximizing points when buying an Macbook pro

I am spending $3,000 on a new macbook pro, whats the best way to maximize points?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:29 pm

By reading this huge thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...re-itunes.html
Old May 19, 2013, 1:46 am

I usually buy my apple products from a store which doesn't charge sales tax. Not paying 9% here in Cali beats (almost) any amount of points.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
It depends if you really want that extra 1 year extended warranty by using a credit card for the purchase...but its possible to save at least 25% or more on any apple product by triple/quadruple dipping buying different flavors of gift cards that comes with increased effort/hassle/time etc...some of the tricks are mentioned here somewhere...

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
I am spending $3,000 on a new macbook pro, whats the best way to maximize points?
Old May 21, 2013, 4:13 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned, but you can try a portal like Chase or Fatwallet cash back and access apple that way. You get a little something back at least on top of the regular credit card rewards.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
I find the selection of Apple products on Amazon fantastic. I also love the selection of Amazon gift cards at office max. And I love my chase ink bold and 5x points at office max.

All in all good times buying Macbooks for my office.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by julp
I find the selection of Apple products on Amazon fantastic. I also love the selection of Amazon gift cards at office max. And I love my chase ink bold and 5x points at office max.

All in all good times buying Macbooks for my office.
By doing this, you're giving up Amex's awesome return protection, extended warranty, etc... Definitely not worth it in my book but to each his own.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wonder what everyone's threshold is for Amex protect vs. points-maximization ... most people agree that a daily use item like a laptop should be with Amex, but what about a digital camera? Or a contracted cell phone where you're not paying the full price?
Old May 24, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
I wonder what everyone's threshold is for Amex protect vs. points-maximization ... most people agree that a daily use item like a laptop should be with Amex, but what about a digital camera? Or a contracted cell phone where you're not paying the full price?
I'm struggling with this right now as we speak for an iPhone 5 at $199. On the one hand I haven't had an issue or had insurance for my current 4 and 2+ years later and no problems. Having said that is 5X by buying GCs at OD so $10-$20 depending on how you value UR points worth it? Not really sure. I would say though my threshold is somewhere around $200 though.

I did buy a Digital SLR recently on my new Amex Plat, all in it was around $700 and I bought it at amazon so no points for me. I figured I was meeting the minimum spend though so it was ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.