Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Member

For after March 31

Fidelity has other promotions that will still be available after March 31. We will still be limited to one promotion per 365 days.
For other bonuses and to get a definitive date on which you can get your next bonus, call Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315. I have marked my calendar.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It's the date they give you the miles
Originally Posted by pgary
Fidelity has other promotions that will still be available after March 31. We will still be limited to one promotion per 365 days.
For other bonuses and to get a definitive date on which you can get your next bonus, call Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315. I have marked my calendar.
OK, so in my case, if my last qualifying deposit was March 27, 2016 but they didn't give me the bonus until a week later, I'm going to be out of luck getting another frequent flyer bonus? Can I ask for an "exception"? Otherwise, I'd only be eligible for that new cash bonus? $300 for 100,000 isn't so hot -- and it's quite tepid if they sent you a 1099.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, so in my case, if my last qualifying deposit was March 27, 2016 but they didn't give me the bonus until a week later, I'm going to be out of luck getting another frequent flyer bonus? Can I ask for an "exception"? Otherwise, I'd only be eligible for that new cash bonus? $300 for 100,000 isn't so hot -- and it's quite tepid if they sent you a 1099.
It's going to be YMMV. Someone up thread had done this after only getting it 4 months ago and got it again...it's been 6 months for me and I got refused. They did ask what kind of investing I was planning on doing, but don't know if that had anything to do with their decision, or if they were looking for other deals I am eligible for.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredc84
It's going to be YMMV. Someone up thread had done this after only getting it 4 months ago and got it again...it's been 6 months for me and I got refused. They did ask what kind of investing I was planning on doing, but don't know if that had anything to do with their decision, or if they were looking for other deals I am eligible for.
Thanks. But we are pretty sure the airline bonuses are ending this month: aka, I can't wait a week and just apply "normally" for one?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

But we are pretty sure the airline bonuses are ending this month:
I have been told repeatedly that the bonus is ending this month. It doesn't have to be fully funded this month but it must be set up this month.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Thanks. But we are pretty sure the airline bonuses are ending this month: aka, I can't wait a week and just apply "normally" for one?
Yes, last day to set it up is March 31st.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
Did anyone that got an exception receive an email confirmation ? I didn't.
???????????
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AA, UAL
???????????
Yes, I did after registering for it over the phone. Please note, my case was not exactly an Exception. I got my miles in Jan last year, but online system mentioned I am not eligible for the offer. Had to call in and first agent couldn't set it up, he made me talk to "promotions" department and he set me up. I asked for confirmation email, I received two One from the person who registered me (it was an email that he typed, not automated) and another automated one which said I am registered.

Cheers!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by pgary
I signed up for the free trade bonus this time but the trade fees are now half as much as previously. The free trade bonus is no longer a good deal.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Originally Posted by Reikon
Has anyone who got an exception by phone received an email confirmation of the offer?
Yes, I got email confirmation yesterday from Fidelity confirming that they'll honor the deposit-for-miles program for all 4 of us (me, wife, son, my mom). Spoke prior to that with our Fidelity rep and they're putting in the 4 forms for us; we'll have 60 days after form date to deposit the $, so can get the deposits in after the 3/31 deadline.

Also, as data point(s) 3 of us weren't eligible for the miles program again until December 2017 and one until April 2017.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredc84
I called and no dice: no exception for me. Oh, well, a bit of bad luck on the timing.

The agent did talk to me about the other bonuses that remain, though. The "moving your IRA" bonus seems like it could be worthwhile. See the link a few posts up.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

I just had an interesting conversation with Fido, I'll try to keep this short:P

After reading the comment about other bonuses, it reminded me that I had applied for the cash bonus in my IRA's when I transferred them in, at the suggestion of one of their service reps. But I didn't remember getting the bonus. So, I called them.

After a bunch of looking into it, they finally came back and said that I had had my bonus for AA miles and the cash bonus for transferring my IRAs wasn't eligible (because of the 1 bonus in 12 months rule), even though I had been told to do it by the rep who signed me up in October.

But then, he made the comment that they noticed I had withdrawn the money and redeposited it for the AA miles bonus a second time but they would let me keep those miles. I followed all the T&C's (left the money in more than 9 months, and applied for the bonus 14 months after the first time.) I found it interesting.

iahphx: make sure they will give you the IRA bonus, they didn't give it to me.

Last edited by fredc84; Mar 29, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:48 am

Did anyone that got an exception receive an email confirmation ? I didn't.
I got mine yesterday, so that's about 5 days or so after I registered
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

I never got an email confirmation so I called yesterday and they confirmed an even told me I had till May 22 to fund the account.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:01 am

And, it's dead.

It looks like the 31 March deadline was for real. Here's to hoping it comes back in the future. Congrats to everyone who was able to take advantage of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.