Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
All offers are expired/dead as of March 31, 2017

AA: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AA01

United: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=UA01

Delta: https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...on_delta.shtml

Update as of May 21, 2014 - in recent weeks some people have reported being told that they are no longer eligible for this offer, in spite of meeting the previous terms and conditions. Some Fidelity representatives are saying that these offers are targeted. Note the bold words in the the terms and conditions below - "Other terms and conditions may apply."

The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere

If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.

Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.

Added September 26, 2016:

Any withdrawals from the account during the qualification period will count against the total deposited. This includes dividends upon you may dependent to live. So be sure to transfer assets whose value covers the minimum you need plus any you might withdraw during those 60 days.

It is strongly suggested you register for the offer you want by calling Fidelity's Promotion Department at (800)544-5315, as the online registration has been flaky in the past. Also, if you have high net worth, a "High Net Worth supervisor" may be able to help - simply call the Premium Services number on your account statement to find someone who has the power to do most anything. Get the name and phone number of the person you spoke with and ask him or her to note in your account that you have been approved, and by whom. Then, if after you transfer assets you get an email saying you are not eligible for the offer for which you registered (yes, this has happened), call the rep again, asking to read the notes on your account. You will probably be told that the email was automated and was sent in error and that they will hand babysit the funding and resultant miles.

If the registration page tells you are not eligible because you have had the offer before, call one of the above numbers. You are eligible after on year. That year probably starts counting when the miles are awarded, not when you register or when you add assets.

Trusts require extra caution on their part. Sometimes they require that you give them a lot of paperwork for trusts. If you have a local Fidelity office, just bring in everything required and they will copy and mail it for you. Easy. Otherwise, just mail it in. If upon trying to register online you are informed that your Revocable Living Trust account is not eligible, well, just call one of the above numbers, because it is eligible. They just have to verify a few things and then override the system. They want to know that you are the only trustee and the only beneficiary.

From the Terms and Conditions page:

Promotional Offer Rules:

This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets are defined as an individual’s external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers.

This offer expires September 30, 2014, and is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
The promotion is not available for business accounts; trust accounts; mutual fund only accounts; retirement accounts, including, among others, Fidelity IRA, Roth IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE accounts; 401(k) and 403(b) workplace retirement plans; fiduciary accounts (including custodial accounts, estate accounts); 529 college savings plan accounts (i.e. college investment trust accounts); Fidelity accounts managed by Strategic Advisers, Inc. (for example, Portfolio Advisory Services); Institutional Wealth Services (IWS) clients; clients of registered investment advisors working with Fidelity Investments; annuities; and Stock Plan Services accounts. Offer is not valid for non-U.S. residents; persons affiliated with FINRA, a securities exchange or its members; employees of Fidelity, its affiliates, and members of their immediate families and households; or the media.

Certain states and local jurisdictions have laws that limit or restrict public employees from accepting items of value from vendors such as Fidelity that provide services to public institutions. Some public entities such as governments, state universities, health care organizations, etc., also have internal policies that may contain similar restrictions. If you are a public official or employee, you should determine if one of these laws or internal policies applies to you. By accepting this incentive, we assume that you are in compliance with your jurisdiction's laws and institution's internal policies.

Transferred assets will be valued, for the purposes of determining eligibility for this promotional offer, at the close of business Eastern time on the business day or next business day, if on a weekend day or holiday, following receipt by Fidelity Investments of the assets into the account that is eligible for the promotional offer. Funding must come from an external, non-Fidelity source via any standard monetary transfer method (a standard Transfer of Assets form, check, electronic funds transfer, ADM deposit, etc.). Please allow eight weeks from the funding of the eligible account, with the qualifying dollar amount of assets, for American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to be posted to your AAdvantage® account. Your Fidelity Account® must remain open with the qualifying funding for six months from the date that the qualifying assets are first received in the eligible account.

New accounts must be opened within 30 days of registering for the offer. Additional deposits to the eligible Fidelity account may earn you a higher mileage award provided the result is that the cumulative assets meet or exceed the next eligibility tier (up to a maximum of 50,000 AAdvantage® miles). For new accounts, initial and subsequent deposits must be made within 60 days of Fidelity account opening. For new money deposited into existing accounts, all deposits must be made within 60 days of registering for the offer.
Print Wikipost

Fidelity Bonus offers for airline miles & hotel points [EXPIRED March 31, 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:17 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goldenad
After transferring to Fidelity, my money was sitting in higher fee funds than they were originally in Vanguard. So Fidelity changed what funds I was in, from 'standard' Vanguard shares to Fidelity premium shares.
A lot hinges here on what exactly you mean when you say that "Fidelity changed" the funds you were invested were in. It sounds as though you instructed them to do so, at least indirectly. If you didn't, you might have some redress.

(I am not a lawyer, accountant or tax adviser.)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by fredc84
Oh. gotcha. I would think that if the accounts are separate, then withdrawing from one should not affect the other. The fine print talks about the account, not accounts. Hopefully, someone around here has experienced exactly that and can verify.
I spoke with Fidelity CS. He confirmed that this restriction only applies to the account that you put the fund in and earn the reward from. Withdrawing from other accounts won't affect my future eligibility.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:58 pm

just want to be sure

When Fidelity says "Offer is limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months"
they are referring just to the one particular offer (e.g., the AA miles offer) for which you will apply, correct?
The UA and Delta and AA offers are considered to be three separate offers, correct?

I took advantage of their UA offer within the past year, received the miles, and have withdrawn the funds...ready
to now deposit the money for the AA offer.

I want to confirm that I am eligible for the AA offer
(despite the fact that within the past 12 months I got miles from the UA offer).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by muji
When Fidelity says "Offer is limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months"
they are referring just to the one particular offer (e.g., the AA miles offer) for which you will apply, correct?
The UA and Delta and AA offers are considered to be three separate offers, correct?

I took advantage of their UA offer within the past year, received the miles, and have withdrawn the funds...ready
to now deposit the money for the AA offer.

I want to confirm that I am eligible for the AA offer
(despite the fact that within the past 12 months I got miles from the UA offer).
No, you can't. It's one per individual per 12 rolling months
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:08 am

I want to confirm that I am eligible for the AA offer (despite the fact that within the past 12 months I got miles from the UA offer).
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It's one per individual per 12 rolling months
Thanks, TravelinSperry.
For me it's odd that the terms say "the offer" despite the fact that there are three offers (one for UA miles, one for AA miles, one for Delta miles). Maybe they consider the three to be variations of one offer.

So, the consensus is that you can get just one (of any of the three variations of the offer) per individual per 12 rolling months, correct?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:44 pm

Thanks, TravelinSperry.
For me it's odd that the terms say "the offer" despite the fact that there are three offers (one for UA miles, one for AA miles, one for Delta miles). Maybe they consider the three to be variations of one offer.

So, the consensus is that you can get just one (of any of the three variations of the offer) per individual per 12 rolling months, correct?
One of any Fidelity offer (e.g. free trades, etc.).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by shihyin
I spoke with Fidelity CS. He confirmed that this restriction only applies to the account that you put the fund in and earn the reward from. Withdrawing from other accounts won't affect my future eligibility.
I got the opposite answer from a rep tonight. I have a joint account and an individual account. I cannot just register with the individual account - they will look at both of them. If I take anything out of the joint account it is basically the same as taking it from the individual one.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:28 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by go_hokies
I have a joint account and an individual account. I cannot just register with the individual account - they will look at both of them. If I take anything out of the joint account it is basically the same as taking it from the individual one.
I believe this is the correct answer. The last time I did this deal, I noticed that withdrawals from the joint account were counting against the transfer that I made to the individual account.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by RLG
I believe this is the correct answer. The last time I did this deal, I noticed that withdrawals from the joint account were counting against the transfer that I made to the individual account.
What I have are two individual accounts (none of those are joint). Does that make a difference? Plus my question was about the requirement around keeping the money there for 9 months. I've received the bonus based on activity on one of my two accounts. I was told that the money needs to stay in the account that you qualify the bonus for. Well, I guess I will know in a couple of months when I re-sign up the bonus to see if I will be dis-qualify for the reason... Speaking of which, my last bonus was posted on 4/29/2016, so I should have passed the 9 months mark....?

Last edited by shihyin; Feb 11, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by shihyin
What I have are two individual accounts (none of those are joint). Does that make a difference? Plus my question was about the requirement around keeping the money there for 9 months. I've received the bonus based on activity on one of my two accounts. I was told that the money needs to stay in the account that you qualify the bonus for. Well, I guess I will know in a couple of months when I re-sign up the bonus to see if I will be dis-qualify for the reason... Speaking of which, my last bonus was posted on 4/29/2016, so I should have passed the 9 months mark....?
Jan 29, 2017
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I forget, how many months do you have to leave the $ in fidelity? I got the bonus probably 6mo ago, can I cycle the $ back to one of my other accounts before it's time to re-up for the bonus again?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I forget, how many months do you have to leave the $ in fidelity? I got the bonus probably 6mo ago, can I cycle the $ back to one of my other accounts before it's time to re-up for the bonus again?
9 months...it's in their T&C's. I count the time from when I receive the bonus miles. I transfer the money out of Fidelity after 9 months and then 3 months after that reapply for the bonus.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goldenad
I took advantage of this promo for the first time this year and just received a 1099-B. I made it explicitly clear a dozen timess to Fidelity that I would only do this promotion if it avoided any taxable events and if my money would end up in funds that had identical expense ratios to the Vanguard funds they originally sat in.

Here is what happened, please tell me if I'm crazy.

My money was originally at Vanguard in admiral class funds. Fidelity told me they couldnt receive admiral class funds, so I had to convert my Vanguard admiral funds to 'standard' shares (that have a higher expense ratio). As far as I'm aware, changing share classes was not a taxable event, as confirmed by Fidelity this morning on the phone. After converting, I then transferred in kind to Fidelity. Once again, Fidelity confirmed to me today that this was not a taxable event.

After transferring to Fidelity, my money was sitting in higher fee funds than they were originally in Vanguard. So Fidelity changed what funds I was in, from 'standard' Vanguard shares to Fidelity premium shares. Apparently this triggered the taxable event, since it was a standard sale of one fund and buy of another. That leaves me with a good chunk of realized short and long-term gains.

Needless to say, I'm very angry, considering I was told a dozen times by Fidelity that none of this would result in taxes. They told me I needed to write and mail them a formal complaint letter so that they could investigate. They won't give me a copy of my various recorded phone conversations (which would show the Fidelity rep saying none of this is taxable) unless they were sent a subpoena.

Argghhhhhhhhhhhhh

So does everyone here who transfers money back and forth between Fidelity and another brokerage every year just not put their money in Admiral/Premium share classes? The miles you get don't seem worth the higher expense ratios.
Definitely more to this story than detailed. Since you had admiral shares your original custodian was Vanguard. You had vanguard convert admiral to investor. That is non-taxable. You then transfer in-kind which is non-taxable.

Now this is where the details are murky. There is no premium shares of vanguard fund that Fido has. Sounds to me you sold (or Fido sold on your behalf) the vanguard investor shares and purchased sometime else. That is taxable.

The higher expense ratio and whether it is worth the miles really depends. The Fido offer is for $100k. You should not be transferring substantially more than that. For example, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund Investor ratio is 0.16%. Admiral is 0.05%. Fee difference between the two for one year on $100k is $110 which is a steal for 50,000 miles.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
So the miles posted July 1, 2016 to my AA account. So I can move the # out April 1 and then put it back in for a new bonus on July 1?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Now this is where the details are murky. There is no premium shares of vanguard fund that Fido has. Sounds to me you sold (or Fido sold on your behalf) the vanguard investor shares and purchased sometime else. That is taxable.
That is exactly what happened. The issue was that they didn't make me aware that it in order to get to the 'premium' Fidelity shares, it would require a traditional sale/purchase of the funds, thus triggering a taxable event. I made it clear to the representative that I would only do all of this if there were no taxable events. As a result, I filed a formal complaint with Fidelity and am still waiting to hear back. All of their phone calls are recorded so I am hoping that there will be proof there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.