Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm sure i'd get notice before they ended their relationship with UA (ala AMEX and CO), so I don't see what there is to worry about. I like keeping my UR in reserve but if the UA relationship was ending i'd just move them all over.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Apr 26, 2012 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Well, you got my attention. Just emptied 60,000 of my wife's UR points to her United account. Not sure there would be a problem but I know we'll use those miles.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:36 pm

I guess keeping a huge chase balance can be dangerous...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by koctail
Maybe applying for multiple credit accounts at one time is now a red flag for the banks where it wasn't in the past?

The one Chase story that was a wake up call for me was a guy that got shut out from Chase after applying due to having Credit Limits of 2x his income.
Originally Posted by aerolulu
I saw that thread and figured that I would post since I've directly hit by Chase closing accounts.

I used to own 3 Chase credit cards including Freedom, Sapphire Preferred and OnePass. I respectively owned these cards for 2 years, 1.5 year, and 0.5 year when Chase closed my accounts after I did a round of applications.

I ...decided it was time for a new application round. I applied for four cards, from four different banks (CITI, AMEX, BoA and Chase)....When I checked my Chase accounts the following week, they were all closed.

..."credit guru(s)". She kindly but firmly explained that I had become a credit risk as I had too many cards (15) and had a credit limit too high compared to my household income (Total CL was about 85% of annual income)....issues.

...I admit that my history is a bit short. I got my first credit card in 2007 and have been opening cards on a regular basis for miles since then...

...my 4 applications in 4 different banks at that time....
IMHO, it's all (or most) of the above. Anytime a person is applying for multiple credit cards at one time, (possibly) based on income they don't have with an outrageous CL, has a short credit history, and even worse is buying far too many gift cards for no apparent good reason--that would send out red flags to anyone! Can you say: flight risk?

Now, if you take another person doing multiple credit apps, but this person has been living in their own home (no mortgage) for 30+ years, has credit dating back to the 1970s, isn't buying gift cards and money orders, and is a retired professional/business owner, then it's a whole different story.

Last edited by elizadoo; Apr 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm Reason: haven't figured out how to do multiple quotes in 1 post
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
After reading this thread... I am sleeping better after transferring ~150k to UA

I just hope there isn't a transfer bonus in the coming days!

My goal with the UR points was to get some *A points as I've already got lots of DL SkyPesios (for Europe), BA Avios (for NYC/short haul), AA Bankruptios(for the 17.5 domestic/Canada), NK FreeSpiritios (for domestic 6 month in advance trips).

I have lots of inquiries, and have had to use recons line a lot lately, including shuffling credit lines around, also got Freedom and activated the Exclusives..

Also I misspelled my name on an online purchase, and all my cards were temporarily frozen until I called in to sort it all out.

So I feel better now. If they close all my accts its their loss
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:57 am

on the other hand, if you have a large balance of points and don't do app-o-ramas to get your account killed, and you spend something on the cards every few months, your points should be safe. Consider the amazing values presented last Black Friday through Best Buy with these points.
My wife had 103k from her sapphire card and we got the samsung 60" 3D plasma, 3D blueray, 32GB PS3 with move package, Skyrim and a couple of other games for it, and a rug shampoo machine which I traded for store credit and got 4 pair of powered 3D glasses. All in all about $2000 worth of stuff...I doubt it will happen again this BF, but you never know.

so there is the other side of the coin.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by wise2u
My wife had 103k from her sapphire card and we got the samsung 60" 3D plasma, 3D blueray, 32GB PS3 with move package, Skyrim and a couple of other games for it, and a rug shampoo machine which I traded for store credit and got 4 pair of powered 3D glasses. All in all about $2000 worth of stuff...I doubt it will happen again this BF, but you never know.

so there is the other side of the coin.
sounds like more than $2000 worth of stuff
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:55 am

Chase closed my account with 445,000 UR points

Chase closed my 6 accounts including Chase WaMu card(2007)$1000 limit, Chase Freedom(2007) $5000, Chase Sapphie Card (2011) $5000, Chase United(2012) $5000 , Chase Southwest(2011) $1000, and Chase Ink Bold(2011) $10000. Approximately $27000 credit( I have $15k with Citi, 8k with Discover, 11$k with Amex). On personal income of 60k or household income of 120k but I dont think that matters. So my best advice is when opening future cards with Chase, do not request for more credit, request to allocate your existing credit instead. My father's cards were not impacted, he has as many Chase accounts as I have but with less then 10K credit limit. All my mother's chase cards were closed because her limiti was 20k+.

I lost over 450k worth of Sapphire points, they did not allow me to transfer to other accounts nor redeem miles, however after letter to Executive Corresponding Team, they did allow me to redeem for cash only. I'm very disappointed that I could not transfer those to Continental, despite I have 490K miles in continental.

Their reasons for account closure include

~ Too many recent inquiries
~ Too many recently open accounts
~ Too many accounts with Chase or too much revolving credit with Chase

They deemed me a high risk customer, as it appears.

I tried to negoite to keep 1 or 2 accounts open since Chase is my main card, I charge approximately $1000/month on Chase, but they would not budge. Chase is my main card that I have been using for years, so I'm profitable to them.

I have never had a single late payment on any of my cards, my utilization ratio is 5% or less on each card and however I applied for approximately 8-10 cars in 2011.

In addition, I checked all my credit reports with scores ranging from 750-760 with 3 bureaus. recently got a mortgage about 1 year ago. NO bankruptcy, never missed payments, no negatives at all. Credit age is approximately 7 years..

On the good note, I received an sr financial analyst job offer with finaical analysis group(for Chase Non-Reward Card), working closely with marketing & risk management on budget/ marketing developements etc. It's only for one Chase card product, not sure how much I'd be expose all the marketing campaigns. Too bad I didn't take the offer, I wonder if I could make an case if I work closely with the marketing people

YOU SHOULD REDEEM THEM!!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by superking
I tried to negoite to keep 1 or 2 accounts open since Chase is my main card, I charge approximately $1000/month on Chase, but they would not budge. Chase is my main card that I have been using for years, so I'm profitable to them.
How did you accumulate nearly half a mil UR points with only charging "approximately $1000/month on Chase"?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
How did you accumulate nearly half a mil UR points with only charging "approximately $1000/month on Chase"?
Chase Ink Bold 50k x3
Chase Sapphire Preferred 50k x3 (with 2x50k bumps)

400k UR points total + 50 k from various spending/promotions spending
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 pm

I have a total of 48k credit line with an income of 60k accross 6 cards.What should i do, should I call chase to lower my credit lines?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
100K from the Sapphire Preferred if you bumped it last summer. Add in 50K for original Ink Bold, 50/60k for new Ink Bold, 20/30K for Freedom gets you well over 250K after minimum spend. Do an absurd amount of only category / UR mall spending for that $1000 a month. It's definitely possible.

This isn't even accounting for combining spouse / family member points into your own account.

I'm not terribly worried so I won't be zeroing out my balance but I did move over a chunk to UA today since it's a near certainty that's where they'll be used anyway. The BA transfer option is not so tempting when Amex has frequent transfer bonuses. Combined with the rumor of ThankYou transfers (briefly available by mistake) and and that leaves UA the only option for me. Hotel transfers don't interest me much.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:46 pm

delete

Last edited by metoo; Apr 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase closed my 6 accounts including Chase WaMu card(2007)$1000 limit, Chase Freedom(2007) $5000, Chase Sapphie Card (2011) $5000, Chase United(2012) $5000 , Chase Southwest(2011) $1000, and Chase Ink Bold(2011) $10000. Approximately $27000 credit( I have $15k with Citi, 8k with Discover, 11$k with Amex). On personal income of 60k or household income of 120k

<snip>

I lost over 450k worth of Sapphire points,

<snip>

Their reasons for account closure include
~ Too many recent inquiries
~ Too many recently open accounts
~ Too many accounts with Chase or too much revolving credit with Chase

They deemed me a high risk customer, as it appears.

How did you earn 490K UR pts with your charge pattern AND the credit limit of your cards? I dont think Chase would issue you 3 Ink Bold cards. My guess is 2 of them belong to your parents and you transfer their UR pts to your account.

I believe the system is also designed to flag large earning of points that does not corresponding to spend and credit limit. In other words, they also look for "creative usage" of cards to earn bonus points. This might be the real reason behind the account closure because, 20K total credit limit with a 120K household income really is on the low side. Many people have multiple times above that with similar household income.

I also suspect that pulling all family members' UR pts to your single account might not be a good idea after all - your Mom and Dad might be viewed as pawns to get multiple cards just for the bonuses. Just sayin.

I have never had a single late payment on any of my cards, my utilization ratio is 5% or less on each card and however I applied for approximately 8-10 cars in 2011.
That too, would trip the wire in today's environment - it is interpret as a desperate sign for someone trying to grab as much credit as one could before one sinks (lost job, facing foreclosure, what have you.)

On the good note, I received an sr financial analyst job offer with finaical analysis group(for Chase Non-Reward Card), working closely with marketing & risk management on budget/ marketing developements etc. It's only for one Chase card product, not sure how much I'd be expose all the marketing campaigns. Too bad I didn't take the offer, I wonder if I could make an case if I work closely with the marketing people
Shouldn't you use this job offer to leverage with Chase risk management to re-open your cards? If you are good enough to be offered a job in its financial analysis dept, you should be good enough to hold a Chase card or two!

Weren't you last year also suffering the claw back of AA miles either by AA or by Fido, for both your account and one of your family's accounts?

Last edited by Happy; Apr 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ascg
I have a total of 48k credit line with an income of 60k accross 6 cards.What should i do, should I call chase to lower my credit lines?
No. OP's issue is she got cards in her parents names and then pulled all the UR pts to her own account - that might be the trigger that cause a scrutiny of all the accounts including her parents - it is not hard for a person at Chase to see what the real purposes are for her parents to open those cards. The rest is history.

If you dont do any of the above, there is no reason to worry.

Pushing the envelop to the limit does carry consequences. It seems all the account closure stories always have this common element - being very aggressive in playing this game and then ending up losing everything despite all the work involved.

BTW, this is not the first time similar case has happened though this might be the most detailed, publicly reported one. Should serve some warnings to others who have similar "behavioral" patterns in handling their Chase accounts.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.