Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Still, my misgivings are neurotic rather than rational, I admit.
Being neurotic when it comes to Chase is very rational, particularly lately.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm not concerned about losing the points. I'm concerned about Chase shutting me down because of the high balance, like it appears I'm gaming them or something.
@RNE, I don't think that eyes on your account would indicate gaming. If I recall, you've had your cards for years and use them for regular spending, no MS. So, if they look, they'll see a person that uses cards but not points. Presuming that you are like most of us who can successfully hold enormous credit lines without becoming irrational spenders, you'll have the following profile: You pay on time, you're not cycling small credit lines. Your credit score is high and your debt ratio is low. Your address and credit usage patterns haven't shifted. Your lines of credit across the board are in good standing. In other words, you have a healthy banking relationship with the lender. You don't have a gamer profile. I think you're good.

I haven't cashed out a UR point in a couple of years. They are accruing steadily and I'm not concerned.
RNE and briang191 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
RNE.. You pay on time, you're not cycling small credit lines. Your credit score is high and your debt ratio is low. Your address and credit usage patterns haven't shifted. Your lines of credit across the board are in good standing. In other words, you have a healthy banking relationship with the lender. You don't have a gamer profile. I think you're good.
Thanks. You only left out that I'm handsome.
pallhedge and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by RNE
I'm not concerned about losing the points. I'm concerned about Chase shutting me down because of the high balance, like it appears I'm gaming them or something.
How is a high balance, by itself, evidence that you're "gaming them"? You could easily game the heck out of them while transferring points to a partner every time your balance exceeds 1,000 points, thereby maintaining a near-zero balance. In fact, if you were worried about being shut down for fraud and losing all your points, this is exactly what you'd do.

If anything, a high points balance is evidence of someone who spends a lot of money but doesn't really care enough about points to pay attention to his balance.

Or it's evidence that you're saving points up for something big. That could just as easily be a transfer to an airline (costly for Chase) as some item you'll buy via the Chase portal (probably less costly). My guess is that more people do the latter than the former (and even more fall into the high-spend-but-don't-care-about-points category), so on the whole your high points balance isn't (by itself) evidence that you're going to be unprofitable. And therefore Chase doesn't care about it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:28 pm

I feel like it's more the churners and then consolidating into a cheap card than people with high balances that they are worried about
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:40 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I feel like it's more the churners and then consolidating into a cheap card than people with high balances that they are worried about
You're quite correct. Churners and AF-avoiders are anathema to Chase. However, a high UR balance may be one* way Chase spots them.

*I'm not saying all churners and AF-avoiders have high balances nor that that's the only way Chase spots them. Nor, for that matter, am I saying one should avoid high balances or transfer them out preemptively. I'm just sharing my angst in this impromptu group therapy session.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.