Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nervous about high Ultimate Rewards balance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by rgm18
i have sapphire, IB, and freedom

i recently received a transfer of 40k points from a friend who i had lent points to before she got the card. i have received a few of these in the past.

this triggered something and they closed my sapphire account. my IB and freedom were not affected and i was able to xfer my significant UR balance (>300k) to my IB account.

has anyone had an experience like this?

i am hoping my IB and my freedom will not be affected and i am going to appeal to chase executive services as i didnt realize receiving a point transfer from a non-family member was not allowed...
Originally Posted by emptiness
so many chase cards are getting shut down including the chase ink card for perk abuse and abnormal large purchases but many still believe it is fake story and continuing the dangerous path
Some people share fake stories to scare people off of really good deals. I have a conscience against lying and will not lie to even hotel/airline people, much less FTers. I can verify that the above is a true story, not fake.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I am curious. I mean I have seen this sort of thing but seriously:

1) we have a chase card like an INK.

2) we tell Chase we plan to use it to buy lots of stuff at OD or stores like it. They say okay go for it.

3) we go in there and buy say $5k or more Vanilla cards. The store sells them to us and lets us use a CC to buy them (some stores may not but OD does). And the store has them in stock.

4) Once the product is bought--and for that matter any product, it is in our hands to do with what we please.

5) We cash them out through various working means (some of which have their OWN issues even though they explicitly allow this very cash out but then if you do it they get mad and shut you down for reasons they will not say)

Why... Why is this wrong?

If a OD stores has a rack of 2 cards or 20, who here is to tell any user how many is too many or two little and when? It ought to be up to what the user is comfortable with spending, the store comfortable with selling and so forth.

What is 'you do too many of these sir?' What does that mean? relative to what?

If for example, I happen to have already maxed the office 5x gig on say 3 Chase cards and am in #4 now, have I gone too far? Or is some newbie who is doing their very first 3 Vanillas going to far because, "wow that's like the most I have EVER spent on a credit card in my life!"

Is it luck, commonsense, the will of the gods or jealousy that allows or prevents us from doing X?

I am actually seriously wondering these things all the time and baffled to constantly learn peoples' thresholds and perceived notions of what is right or wrong out there based only on THEIR experience, and never on that of the user.

MM

I don't have a clear definite dollar amount down to the pennies for you. But yes, there is a fine line between taking advantage of something and abusing something. And forget about making the argument that there is no such thing.
My example has nothing to do with the Ink bold but I can give you my definition of abusing something. Stuffing yourself until you can't eat at the hotel lounge is taking advantage of something. Eat a moderate meal at the hotel lounge and then take the food from the lounge and give the food to your friend who stayed at a different hotel and has no lounge access is abusing the system.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
It's funny how none of the travel bloggers' accounts get shut down even though they abuse the system more than most of us.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
It's funny how none of the travel bloggers' accounts get shut down even though they abuse the system more than most of us.
I doubt that --- I've even had a prominent travel blogger email me in the past and ask if it was kosher to do a transfer between UR accounts. I explained the T&Cs and said it's probably not worth the risk.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:28 pm

Harvesting UR - no more

I've come across more and more stories on various blogs, forums, of people getting their Chase accounts shut down and losing all points. I was storing a considerable amount of points in UR for the flexibility, but I see the risk is growing to hold them there. I've cleaned out my UR and transferred all 270k to my United account.

Even buying a gift card can make Chase claim you have violated terms, and boom your accounts shut down and points gone.

I'm not risking it, no more harvesting my UR points at Chase, I'm transferring them after every statement close. As convenient as it is to hold them, I'd rather lose the convenience and know they are safe in my United, Hyatt or Marriott account.

Proceed with caution...
Old May 23, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Even buying a gift card can make Chase claim you have violated terms, and boom your accounts shut down and points gone.
How is this a violation?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I had to chose a couple of companies I "couldn't live without", and for me those are Amex and Chase. To that end, I won't churn with them. I'd love to, and its tempting to, but in the long run the relationship is more valuable. BoA on the other hand, I've been charging thousands to my Virgin Atlantic over the months and transferring them at 1:2 to HHonors. And if they shut me down...no big loss.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by n198ua
I had to chose a couple of companies I "couldn't live without", and for me those are Amex and Chase. To that end, I won't churn with them. I'd love to, and its tempting to, but in the long run the relationship is more valuable. BoA on the other hand, I've been charging thousands to my Virgin Atlantic over the months and transferring them at 1:2 to HHonors. And if they shut me down...no big loss.
With the earn rates as high as they are on the various Hilton cards, why put the spend on the VA card? Even with 1.5 VA miles per dollar - the base amex (fee free) earns 3 HHonors points per dollar, plus the various lucrative bonus categories.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Why would they shut me down? I have earned my points fare and square and prefer my points to be with Chase (flexibility) than transfer them to say Hyatt who I think will devaluate very soon.

Granted some people charge 10k a months at say CVS... very suspicious. Excess is the sinner.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Can't say I blame you. I'm nervous with half that and no real plan on what to do with them yet.
If I had 270kur I wouldn't sit on them either.
It's a calculated risk if you transfer or stay put.
I hope you see some use/value for them after transfer.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by lacuadra
Excess is the sinner.
Well said.

It seems like a lot of people are getting their accounts closed, but only because a vocal minority, who likely did not practice even a sliver of moderation, post horror stories.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Chase won't shut you down for buying a few gift cards.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by augustus21
Chase won't shut you down for buying a few gift cards.
if you have an existing card, build up slowly
if you have a new card, go full throttle - you might get a call but you can start up as a big spender and no one will bother you
Old May 25, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Work in progress.
I usually take all those stories with a grain of salt.

A whole lot of times there's so much more to the story than "Chase shut me down".
And it usually comes down to one simple fact.
Pigs get fat,Hogs gets slaughtered.
Old May 25, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
Pigs get fat,Hogs gets slaughtered.
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.