Improved UA Explorer card offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by akcae
Always ask to speak with someone in the Retention department. Then explain you like the card, but it's not really proving worth the annual fee and you're considering cancelling or downgrading to a no-fee version.
Yeah, I made a mistake because I've usually had no luck with Chase's retention department in the past that I didn't even bother to deal with them this time. And the front line CSR didn't offer to transfer me, which I would have accepted...

Lesson learned.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
could someone teach me how i could do the 60k trick? I dont have any miles in my UA account. Do you think a quick Groupon purchase via UA shopping site should do the trick? Do we need a certain amount of miles in order to do the 60K web trick? thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by blackmamba
could someone teach me how i could do the 60k trick? I dont have any miles in my UA account. Do you think a quick Groupon purchase via UA shopping site should do the trick? Do we need a certain amount of miles in order to do the 60K web trick? thanks!
Any balance should work. A purchase via the MP shopping mall should work, but this will take several weeks to get the miles into your MP account. A dining spend via the MP dining program should get the miles to your account within about a week.

Alternately, if you have a CO OnePass account in your name, or a Chase Sapphire Preferred-linked UR account, you can transfer miles/points instantly.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I applied for the card on January 6 when the 60,000 mile offer showed up in my online account. Got the card 4-7 days later, made my first purchase, the initial 50,000 miles posted today.

Note: I previously had a MP visa card, which I had cancelled roughly 1-3 years ago. I also had a Continental Explorer card, which I got about 18 months ago and cancelled about 6 months ago.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:57 pm

I recently (late 2011) got the OnePass card. Now, when I sign into my UMP account and use the 60k link, I get redirected to a page that implies that I already have the card. (The same page my wife gets when she logs in, but she actually does have the card.) I wonder if it sees my CO card and treats me as having the UA card? But I do see in my UMP account the link to 40k, which is weird if it thinks I have the card already.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I applied for the card on January 6 when the 60,000 mile offer showed up in my online account. Got the card 4-7 days later, made my first purchase, the initial 50,000 miles posted today.

Note: I previously had a MP visa card, which I had cancelled roughly 1-3 years ago. I also had a Continental Explorer card, which I got about 18 months ago and cancelled about 6 months ago.
Did the 50,000 miles post immediately after your first statment closing or did it post at a later time? Wifey got her first statement and hasn't seen the bonus yet...

Roqdawg
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: All of em...
I'll be pulling the trigger for my targeted 60k offer in March when an inquiry is scheduled to fall of my credit report.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akcae
Any balance should work. A purchase via the MP shopping mall should work, but this will take several weeks to get the miles into your MP account. A dining spend via the MP dining program should get the miles to your account within about a week.

Alternately, if you have a CO OnePass account in your name, or a Chase Sapphire Preferred-linked UR account, you can transfer miles/points instantly.
hmm i live in the middle of nowhere so its tough to fine a restaurant in that program. I also focus on Amex MR aside from Chase UR. Anyway someone could send me a handful of miles to my account for a trade on another program?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: Lotz
Can Verify Past UA CC Holders Get Bonus

Had a UA MP cc opened little over a year ago, closed a couple months ago. Also had a CO cc from a year ago closed recently.

Approved for the UA Explorer card a month ago and 50K bonus showed in my MP account today.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: United
So just to rehash...

I was able to use the 60K link after logging in to United's site - but I'm a current cardholder of the "old" MP card. Do I have to do anything special to get the 60K miles and no fee for the first year? I noticed that several on here indicated that they're current cardholders that managed to work this deal out - did you have to chat with a CSR or did it just magically happen?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Nice Card

Just got my United MileagePlus Explorer Card today. Nice things about it is no spending requirement to meet the bonus. Just 50K miles on first purchase!

Also some really nice additional card benefits:

-1st checked bag free for you and a guest
- Priority boarding on United
- 2 Lounge passes per year (can be sold on eBay to cover some of that annual fee)
- PRIMARY car rental insurance (this is huge, since almost all credit card rental coverage is secondary, meaning you have to go through your own auto insurance first)
- Price protection
- Baggage/trip cancellation coverage
- Roadside Assistance coverage ( $50 per event, 4 events per year. Can ditch AAA coverage?)

Think I might keep this card beyond the first year.

Last edited by somdave2005; Feb 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:39 pm

The primary insurance alone is a killer feature. I always decline coverage now. Make sure to take information on the coverage with you when you rent, I've rented in different states and been told they need a copy of a policy to let a car out without insurance. I don't know if that is true or not, but I like to keep a copy of my card and this policy in my bag at all times, just in case.

Originally Posted by somdave2005
Just got my United MileagePlus Explorer Card today. Nice things about it is no spending requirement to meet the bonus. Just 50K miles on first purchase!

Also some really nice additional card benefits:

-1st checked bag free for you and a guest
- Priority boarding on United
- 2 Lounge passes per year (can be sold on eBay to cover some of that annual fee)
- Primary car rental insurance (this is huge, since almost all credit card rental coverage is secondary, meaning you have to go through your own auto insurance first)
- Price protection
- Baggage/trip cancellation coverage
- Roadside Assistance coverage ( $50 per event, 4 events per year. Can ditch AAA coverage?)

Think I might keep this card beyond the first year.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by blackmamba

I bought angry birds through the itunes store (UA shopping site) and it posted within a week. All I needed was the 1 mile to get the 50+10 K offer.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Have to wait for closing March 10th. I don't know why that's the earliest. When does the CO, and United card combine? Anyone have more info on that?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
How do you use the "Free Check Bag" perk with this card?

Do you flash the card at time of ckeck-in? or is it somewhere in the UA system?

Mileage Plus tells me that my application is pending review despite the fact that I have the card for over the week now.

Minos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.