Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AirborneCattleCar
So just to rehash...

I was able to use the 60K link after logging in to United's site - but I'm a current cardholder of the "old" MP card. Do I have to do anything special to get the 60K miles and no fee for the first year? I noticed that several on here indicated that they're current cardholders that managed to work this deal out - did you have to chat with a CSR or did it just magically happen?
Welcome AirborneCattleCar! The United Explorer Card is a new card according to Chase so even if you have the older MP card you will still be able to get the sign on bonus. If you plan on applying for more Chase cards you can close your old MP card and transfer your credit line to your new card. If you go this route you will need to speak to a credit card analyst. If not everything will be automatic, and when you activate your card the chase rep will confirm your bonus.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Plat
Just to add another data point - the 50k miles from the Explorer card posted to my account today. Yay! I had both the UA MP card and CO card open when I applied, which had been open since last spring.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:46 pm

Is there any distinction between the UA or CO branded Explorer Card (constantly receive offers for both)? As far as I have noticed throughout this thread, the advantage of the UA branded are the 2 club passes. Anything else?

As Palaimo noted in post #823, both, the "normal" and "signature" VISA include the primary CDW; would someone be so kind and list what the coverage exactly includes (theexplorercard.com details section does not provide any info)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:35 pm

I was going to jump on the United 60,000 deal this weekend out of fear it would vanish. But then in my inbox appeared a targeted United offer with 60,000 miles, good until Feb 29th. Thus I may hold out a little longer. My only fear is they will convert my Continental card over before this time. They are still offering the Continental card on Chase's website though. So I must have a bit more time to play with.......
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:00 pm

So I added miles to my united account, and I see the link for the 60k offer, but when I click it, I get dropped to the 40k offer, if I try changing the URL to the 60k offer, I get dropped back the the 40k. Anyone else had this issue?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by emmygofly
I was going to jump on the United 60,000 deal this weekend out of fear it would vanish. But then in my inbox appeared a targeted United offer with 60,000 miles, good until Feb 29th. Thus I may hold out a little longer. My only fear is they will convert my Continental card over before this time. They are still offering the Continental card on Chase's website though. So I must have a bit more time to play with.......
what are you holding out for? a jump to 100k mile bonus?

If you really need the miles get them. If you don't need them now and are willing to take the risk of losing 10k-20k miles wait for a better offer to come along in Q2.

You are lined up perfect and got targeted by UA. Sounds like a best case scenario.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by emmygofly
I also got this email today.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by txrose86
I also got this email today.
I also got two offers in my email - one for my daughter (16) and one for my son (13). And if I log in to my wife's United account, I see an offer in her name as well.

I applied in my own name last week (pending review), wondering if it is actually possible to get multiple cards for the family.

- For my wife : if I apply in her name, do I enter just her income or the family income ? (She stays home so 0 income on her own, would that disqualify her or do I just enter my income even on her application ?)

- Could I actually get cards in my (minor) kids names (even if I have to co-sign) ? And will that actually get them the 50K bonus each ??
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ashta
I also got two offers in my email - one for my daughter (16) and one for my son (13). And if I log in to my wife's United account, I see an offer in her name as well.

I applied in my own name last week (pending review), wondering if it is actually possible to get multiple cards for the family.

- For my wife : if I apply in her name, do I enter just her income or the family income ? (She stays home so 0 income on her own, would that disqualify her or do I just enter my income even on her application ?)

- Could I actually get cards in my (minor) kids names (even if I have to co-sign) ? And will that actually get them the 50K bonus each ??
Usually household income is fine (so, your income). I don't know about applying in your kids' names.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Usually household income is fine (so, your income). I don't know about applying in your kids' names.
Not anymore. The law is the applicant's individual income.

quick google pick here
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Not anymore. The law is the applicant's individual income.

quick google pick here
It sounds to me that if the application just asks for income/salary, you have to give the individual's. But if the application just asks for household income, it's up to the credit card issuer to contact the applicant for further information on their individual income.

I understand the reasoning behind it (I think), but it still seems a little ridiculous. How is a stay at home mom ever supposed to get a credit card then, for example? Just be an authorized user on her husband's account?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
It sounds to me that if the application just asks for income/salary, you have to give the individual's. But if the application just asks for household income, it's up to the credit card issuer to contact the applicant for further information on their individual income.

I understand the reasoning behind it (I think), but it still seems a little ridiculous. How is a stay at home mom ever supposed to get a credit card then, for example? Just be an authorized user on her husband's account?
That's a big issue with the new law. This highlights that issue. My guess is that at some point there is a revision of the law but that's the standard today.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:26 pm

That's a big issue with the new law. This highlights that issue. My guess is that at some point there is a revision of the law but that's the standard today.
Looks like there may be other options if you live in California or Texas:

The Federal Reserve also pointed out that in community property states -- including California and Texas -- nonworking spouses can assert joint ownership of property (including income) acquired by a working spouse. In those cases, issuers can consider the spouse's income when considering a credit card application solely in the name of the stay-at-home spouse, the board said.
From http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...#ixzz1m1Zfscxj

ETA: Sorry, I just realized this is getting off topic
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:31 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. The UA card application asks for "Gross Annual Income", and does not specify if it is supposed to be "individual" or "household".

I think I will pass on additional applications for wife/kids - at least until my application comes thru and my miles are posted, might reconsider after that.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
what are you holding out for? a jump to 100k mile bonus?

If you really need the miles get them. If you don't need them now and are willing to take the risk of losing 10k-20k miles wait for a better offer to come along in Q2.

You are lined up perfect and got targeted by UA. Sounds like a best case scenario.
Not holding out for a better offer. Holding out on doing a churn as I want to increase the age of my accounts a bit. My young credit history proved to be a bit of a problem during my last couple of applications around 4 months ago. I am sure a few more weeks is only really going to make a difference in my own head though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.