Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
will use it next year....thx
Old May 21, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Probably a dumb question, but...

This looks like an amazing way to earn the segments I need -
But what happens to checked luggage on these convoluted itineraries?

I'm considering using this approach for the return trips on business travel (when I don't mind connections because delays aren't as meaningful)

But I almost always check my rollerboard on the way home to save energy.

If I check luggage on a convoluted itinerary like this (LGA::UA UA UA UA) does it actually hop with me on each flight? Or does it go direct from LGA to Denver?
Old May 21, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dknyc01
If I check luggage on a convoluted itinerary like this (LGA::UA UA UA UA) does it actually hop with me on each flight? Or does it go direct from LGA to Denver?
Your luggage would be routed the same way you are routed.

Warning: Most mileage runners avoid checking luggage like the plague. You really should think twice - maybe three times - before checking luggage on a mileage run of any "quality" or "substance".
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Searching certain booking classes

Great info and help!

Does the system allow search for a carrier within certain bookin classes:
eg. UA in W-class?

TIA.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:16 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Yes, for example

From LHR:: BA / f bc=W
To ORD

Need spaces either side of the / and the f. This will find all BA flights from LHR to ORD in class W.

You can extend this by for example

From LHR:: BA / f bc=W|bc=T
To ORD

finds all BA LHR-ORD in W or T. (The | on my keyboard is next to the Z but it may be different for a US keyboard.)
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Hi,

I'm new to MR, and have read through the basic, but somehow I'm lost at using ITA. I went to the ITA link but it doesn't have the language used as described here, but instead seem to be just like other travel website with max of 4 segments for multi-city planning. Am I missing something here? Also, from my understanding from reading all these, the only way to actually book an MR trip is still going through the airline reservation or a travel agent. Am I right? Thanks so much.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:59 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by ycc777
Hi,

I'm new to MR, and have read through the basic, but somehow I'm lost at using ITA. I went to the ITA link but it doesn't have the language used as described here, but instead seem to be just like other travel website with max of 4 segments for multi-city planning. Am I missing something here? Also, from my understanding from reading all these, the only way to actually book an MR trip is still going through the airline reservation or a travel agent. Am I right? Thanks so much.
The real advantage is being able to see multiple connections for a trip (often at the same fare as a one or no connection flight).

For example my last TPA/PHL round trip was found using this tool: TPA/IAH/DTW/PHL - PHL/CVG/IAH/TPA on NW flights (2 NW metal/2CO metal/2 DL metal segments) which was the same base fare as what the cheapest flights on NW's web site were, but with the maximum mileage for the dates I needed to fly. I did have to pay the $10 booking fee for calling NW's res line, and a little higher taxes/fees for the extra stops, but it was well worth the extra mikes. I found them by entering this phrase into the from box: TPA ::NW NW NW NW (keep the spacing the way it is - I keep " ::NW NW NW NW" as my bookmark name for ITA, so I always have the correct search terms - use fewer NWs to search for only two or three segment flights) and this into the to box: PHL ::NW NW NW NW. When you make a choice that you want, just click on "Show booking details" before you call the airline res line in case they can't pull up the same fare (NW has always been able to find it and the same price for me).

Often the fare is quite higher, especially for the four segment each way fares, but when it's not (and I even had one that was cheaper), it really racks up the EQM/EQS for a good price. One word of caution, watch out for the partner rules (EQM on CO metal and EQS on DL segments) for the fare(s) under which you are ticketed.

You can also use a travel agent to book them for you, but have the booking details available for them. I've also used travel agents in the past to find me extra connections at the same fare.

As for the language, it's partially explained here: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/di...dvanced-topics (from the original post in the Mileage Run Tools, Part 2 thread.

Last edited by ed1; Dec 20, 2006 at 1:15 am
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: aadvantage
noob needs help!!! ITA dense

I use Ita to find general a-b flight prices, but from what I read I can "force" it to find specific fares.
Can anyone show what I would enter to find the "free" aadvantage seats from azo to bon? I think they are T fares, but not absolutely sure.
I have entered several search strings, but it keeps coming up no flights found. I am sure at least in summer there should be some, but none come up.I HAVE re-read the wiki several times, but am probably entering something wrong. Can anyone have mercy on dense ole me?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:27 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by rminky
I use Ita to find general a-b flight prices, but from what I read I can "force" it to find specific fares.
Can anyone show what I would enter to find the "free" aadvantage seats from azo to bon? I think they are T fares, but not absolutely sure.
I have entered several search strings, but it keeps coming up no flights found. I am sure at least in summer there should be some, but none come up.I HAVE re-read the wiki several times, but am probably entering something wrong. Can anyone have mercy on dense ole me?
Our website only shows results with prices (that is, fare amounts in liquid currency, not in frequent flyer miles).

Depending on the airline and their policy about where they display their award availability, it may be possible to use some other tool that shows availability directly. But the ITA site does not offer any such option (even for the airlines who use us to drive the frequent flyer portion of their websites).

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: aadvantage
well, bad news...but thanks for the info, I have spent a LOT of time trying to find that info on ITA and now can try other ways . Guess the best way is constant calls 330 days ahead of time.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:28 pm

ITA does allow some valid flights

I'm a newbie, so I hope that you take pity on me. I've read through several long strings concerning various MR tools. I've been trying to use ITA to determine if there are valid flights for a MR. Right now, I'm still trying to make sure that I can use the tools properly (and that I'm using the right tools).

As an example, I've been using the following as a very simple MR to take advantage of the low LAX-FRA fares on UA.

I input into ITA

To: FRA

However, the ITA software gives me the response "NO TRIPS FOUND. I'm sorry, we could not find answers to your query."

Yet, when I enter the same itinerary into Travelocity as a multi-destination flight (out on Feb 7th and return on Feb 11th), it prices the trip to $696 on UA.

Are there any tricks to making ITA work with these types of trips? Or, should I be using a different tool/website?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uebersurfer
I'm a newbie, so I hope that you take pity on me. I've read through several long strings concerning various MR tools. I've been trying to use ITA to determine if there are valid flights for a MR. Right now, I'm still trying to make sure that I can use the tools properly (and that I'm using the right tools).

As an example, I've been using the following as a very simple MR to take advantage of the low LAX-FRA fares on UA.

I input into ITA

To: FRA

However, the ITA software gives me the response "NO TRIPS FOUND. I'm sorry, we could not find answers to your query."

Yet, when I enter the same itinerary into Travelocity as a multi-destination flight (out on Feb 7th and return on Feb 11th), it prices the trip to $696 on UA.

Are there any tricks to making ITA work with these types of trips? Or, should I be using a different tool/website?

I find that sometimes I get that funny error. The best workaround I have is to close the browser and reopen.

Also, entering specific airlines will help you find what you want. from SDF::ua+ ord ua+ lax ua will help narrow down to what you want
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uebersurfer

Have you tried using the multi-city feature in ITA?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:45 pm

ITA question continued

I entered the suggested

SDF:: UA+ ORD UA+ LAX UA
FRA

But, still no luck. I still got the message:

No Trips Found

* I'm sorry, we could not find answers to your query.

I then tried the multi-segment date specific option. I entered:

Segment 1

SDF:: UA+ ORD UA+
LAX

Date: 2/7

Segment 2:
LAX:: UA
FRA

Date 2/7

Segment 3:
FRA
SDF

Date 2/11

That seemed to do the trick and allowed me to bring up the flights. Is that what was meant by "multi-city" option?

I guess I'll need to play around a little more to get the hang of it.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Ubersurfer,

I used the exact text in your first message and got good flights via ITA - Feb 7 to Feb 11. The cheapest one was a United at $590.

Any chance in your actual attempt you had some tiny typo like a semi-colon instead of a colon, or something else very sneaky? Any changes to any of the other default fields?

It seems to be a phenomenally powerful tool, but is very syntax sensitive.

Or maybe the fare rules changed? I found a very convoluted route last November that just isn't there any more.

I'm pretty much of a rookie also, but a retired techie and from that standpoint I can say your approach is very good. With the whole fare situation so fluid, lots of trial and error and building muscle is the way to go. And checking against other products, and reading FT a lot, including your particular group of airlines forums.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.