Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR Tool

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Another time-saving tip for ITA

I thought I'd pass on the following airport code lists.

They're a help if you tend to search the same destinations for deals repeatedly. I created some of them with the help of the Great Circle Mapper's Range feature and the destination list for my airline, which happens to be AA. You may find them useful, particularly if you adjust them for your own origin city and airline (be sure to set option to search "or any airport within 300 miles"):

All US airports search (with any number of segments on AA) from NYC:
LAX;SFO;PHX;PDX;BOI;GEG;SLC;BIL;OKC; AUS;ELP;MIA;MEM;MSY;ATL;MSP;DSM;IND;DEN::AA+
AA Eur. (incl. codeshare, any number of segments on AA):
GLA;CDG;MAD;BER;FCO;NCE;ATH; IST;ARN;CPH;BUD;WAW;HEL::AA+
I keep these lists (and several others I have for other regions) in an Outlook Note, so they're handy. I just copy and paste the list I need when doing a search and adjust as necessary. When search results come up, I recommend clicking the "Airports" tab to get an overview of the fares available.

A tip for more advanced searches: remove 'minor' airports to add extra stuff at the end (e.g. connecting cities, etc.). For AA searches, for instance, BOI and GEG won't yield much anyway, so they're easily expendible.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:37 pm

thansk for the tip

did give it a try using in the from box Ewr:UA UA but it offered me city choices not United ? humm must read more Cheers jane
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:52 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by a1bengal
Ewr:UA UA
Try two colons, i.e., EWR:: UA UA

Might do the trick.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:10 am

This is great. Kudos to you for posting it.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
What about booking?

This site seems great...except for one thing. It doesn't seem like you can actually book a flight on it.

What experiences have people had trying to find the same MR itin you generat on here on another site? Or is there something I'm missing as far as being able to buy on ITA?

Thanks,
ORD
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Question....ITA shows a certain fare in 'T' class. If you attempt to book the same flights directly with the airline (Northwest), NW will only offer you a 'V' fare on some of the flights, thus making the fare about $40 higher.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

-RM
Old Apr 9, 2004, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, LH Silver, Marriott Gold
What experiences have people had trying to find the same MR itin you generat on here on another site? Or is there something I'm missing as far as being able to buy on ITA?
I just put together my latest "mileage enhanced" trip with this tool and then e-mailed it to my company's travel agent. 30 minutes later she had it booked at the exact same price. And she didn't even blink even though the routing is SEA-PDX-SFO-LAS-ORD-YUL and YUL-ORD-SMF-SFO-PDX-SEA.
I couldn't get it done on expedia and ual.com priced the same trip at $400 more.
So my suggestion would be to find a travel agent to book it for you until ITA allows us to book there.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Remember that availability for seats is updated frequently, so just because it's available when you search for it, doesn't mean it will be available 5 minutes later. It's pretty likely that the exact flights you're looking for won't change, but it can happen.

Once you know that a certain itinerary exists, you can often trick one of the other travel websites into booking it for you. But sometimes ITA will produce solutions that are hard to book.

I doubt ITA will ever let you book on their site - Orbitz is one of their main customers (the Orbitz web site is based around an older version of their search engine), and it's not good to compete with your main customer...
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:56 pm

Can someone post the link for me??

Sorry to be a pain, just I cant seem to find it

Many many thanks

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:13 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by MRSTARALLIANCE
Can someone post the link for me??

Sorry to be a pain, just I cant seem to find it

Many many thanks

Dave
Originally Posted by USCheapskate
I know that many people here like the ITA software web site for doing travel searches (beta.itasoftware.com).
Hope that helped
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Great advice -- thanks for the tips!

aloha
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:43 am

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Bump just too keep it up front
Old May 25, 2004, 2:43 am

Programs: STAR AA BA
Using Itasoftware

Is there a good guide to how to use beta.itasoftware.com. You guys seem to be wizz's at getting info on cheapest flights and most segments. All I ever come up with is rubbish. What's the trick ?

q
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:57 pm

Question Can ITA locate SQ flights?

This is a great tool for finding mileage runs, however I can't find any flights operated by Singapore Airlines. I've tried multiple combinations of example code that I copied from FlyerTalk but cannot find one SQ flight. I even tried removing any carrier information from the request on a SYD-SIN sector and ITA gave me all other airlines except SQ.

Can ITA find SQ flights?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Interesting - even forcing to use SQ (::SQ code) doesnt return anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.