Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Qr: Alg-foc $177 ow, $344 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BA Humbug
Party Boys & Girls & Dates
billybligh, Apr 22 2016
mattking2000, Feb 2017

Positioning Flights
OW - AMM (RJ) | DOH (QR) | LGW (BA) | MAD (IB)
*A - CAI (MS) | FRA (LH) | GVA (LX) | IST (TK) | LIS (TP)
ST - MED (SV) | MXP (AZ) | CDG (AF) | FCO (AZ)
Unaffiliated - BCN (VY) | DXB (EK) | CMN (AT)

"Insight" on Air Algerie...: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/225051

Hotels
Hilton Algiers (resort)
Sofitel Algiers
Mercure Alger Aeroport (free shuttle, located off airport)
Sheraton Club Towers (resort)

Shangri-La Fuzhou
Westin Fuzhou

Visa Information (be sure to state the nationalities for which the rules apply!

Things to do in Algeria

Things to do in Fuzhou
Print Wikipost

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Qr: Alg-foc $177 ow, $344 rt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Indeed.
Enjoy the excitement of booking because that's as close as anyone will get to flying on this fare.
You never know what will happen with these fares. You should know that well.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Just thought I'd provide a quick heads up for those that don't already use My Flights - Qatar are on Amadeus, so rather than keep on checking your booking every 5 minutes to see if it's cancelled, you can just add it to My Flights (on the web or on the the iOS App) and it'll monitor your booking for changes and cancellations.

(Disclaimer: Yes - it's my app, but it's free so I'm spreading the love, not trying to profit)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
You never know what will happen with these fares. You should know that well.
We know QR very well. Not a chance it will be honored.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by KenGreen888
Well, I have some news for you. I did fly on a comparable QR promo no too long ago. Price was about double of this one, but involved also about double the flown distance.

Honestly, I am not worried if QR will let us fly or not. We will just wait and see.

What does worry though me is the fact that you, and so many others with you, almost seem to be wishing that QR will not honor.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Indeed, what a great find, and could be a great piece to complete a round the world trip or something. If transit visa is indeed possible at ALG, and given that one can have a 'long' stopover at HKG, this would definitely be a sweet, sweet, find 😊
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, Iberia Plus
Just a heads up, no Algerian visa will be issued if you have Israeli stamps in your passport
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:52 am

Maybe so... but you say this with such great certainty...

The truth is there were others, most notably for comparison another one about 80% of the distance for about $100 more that never made it to flyertalk nor the blogs... and that was a goer.

The reality is QR does an analysis and if the whole town, their dogs and cats all got one then it's dead in the water. As it turns out, this particular one did get out there and as a result, maybe many were sold and doesn't bode well.

But if your reasoning that "we know QR very well" is based on what appears to be a 100% fail rate - I can tell you the number is high, but not 100%.

No horse in the game, but I wish all those who got this and want to fly this, all the best
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl

The truth is there were others, most notably for comparison another one about 80% of the distance for about $100 more that never made it to flyertalk nor the blogs... and that was a goer.

The reality is QR does an analysis and if the whole town, their dogs and cats all got one then it's dead in the water. As it turns out, this particular one did get out there and as a result, maybe many were sold and doesn't bode well.

But if your reasoning that "we know QR very well" is based on what appears to be a 100% fail rate - I can tell you the number is high, but not 100%.

No horse in the game, but I wish all those who got this and want to fly this, all the best
^^^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:18 am

You go girl !
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
That is always an issue. If I find a fan-tas-tic deal that I really want to fly, I am more hesitant to (re-)post it in fear of:

• thousands of people booking it without the intention of actually flying it;
  • too many searches attracting attention;
  • that one person who wants to call the airline to ensure (s)he will travel.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
That is always an issue. If I find a fan-tas-tic deal that I really want to fly, I am more hesitant to (re-)post it in fear
I don't think anyone would blame you for that....

At the end of the day this whole "do i share or not?" thing is a really contentious issue with some very compelling for and against arguments. I don't lean any one way because I have been a beneficiary of someone telling me but at the same time the concerns as you point out, are valid too.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
There IS a chance if your flight is tomorrow or later this week. QR is not friendly towards such deals, but it is also very slow to respond.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I wouldn't waste my time with this deal. The airline will cancel all the bookings. You will be stuck trying to get your refund with the correct forex rate. It will be a big headache. Save yourself from the grief.
How is this fare much different to the CMB-JNB fare that was available 6 months ago? The distance is almost identical and that fare was ~$600. I am getting ready to fly that fare and QR hasn't cancelled it going on 6 months.

CMB-JNB is a much friendlier fare as far as visa requirements go. How about the CMB-JFK for ~$1100? None of these appear to be "sensible" prices when considering the distance flown. Sure, $350 for ALG-FOC seems like an error, but so does CMB-JNB for $600 and CMB-JFK for $1100. Yet, for sure CMB-JFK is not an error and is repeatedly available. CMB-JNB didn't seem to be an error either.

Last edited by whimike; Mar 21, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:11 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
To be honest, instead of fighting over weather this will be honoured or not from variable past experiences, you should be taking down data points. Maybe there are ones that will fly, while others have not. We don't have the exact factors nailed down yet. Sure we know some fares awhile ago were cancelled, but people are reporting in some general specifics that a fare was honoured for them in the past too.

I'd suggest get a list of people who bought the fare, place it in the wiki, wait and see what happens. If we start seeing people's itineraries getting cancelled then we can start panicking
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Global Entry, etc...
I reserved the flight on QR, but did a hold. I just got a reminder to pay for the flight. So, they still haven't called it off.
But, I have an Israeli stamp in my passport, so not sure I'll be able to make the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.