Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by josephstern
So my RGN-BKK flight is booked in a class that doesn't earn miles.

I've seen upthread that many people have paid to upgrade to First on this flight, by paying cash at RGN.

Is this just an informal upgrade, or does it raise you to a class ticket that awards miles?
TG has a formal upgrade policy and set list of prices for airport upgrades (based on routes and a kind of zone formula).

they used to publish this list but I'm having trouble locating it.

I have found the terms and conditions (from the .au site) which are (note the supposed class restrictions and miles earning restrictions):

Conditions: Upgrade surcharges cannot be pre-booked and are only available for sale at the airport check-in counter before each flight sector. Upgrade surcharges are applicable to normal fare types booked in Economy Class 'Q' and above and for travel on THAI operated aircraft only with three digit flight numbers. Upgrade surcharges do not apply to revenue tickets booked in 'V' or 'W' class both internationally or domestically, industry or agent discount tickets, frequent flyer redemption tickets and barter tickets. Child or infant discounts do not apply. Any additional taxes incurred with the upgrade are at the expense of the passenger. Frequent flyer mileage earned will be based on the original fare paid.
Conditions subject to change current as of 01 Jul'12.
aside from the official policy I'm guessing upgrades might also be processed differently under some local conditions (for example if the flight is overbooked they might offer upgrades to otherwise ineligible classes).

note first class is not offered ex rgn, so the upgrade would be to business class.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
As another data point, just returned from my one and only R1 ticket (purchased through Vayama, KE-plated RGN-BKK-ICN-SFO).

Despite my efforts to make sure the TG flight (RGN-BKK) was properly linked to the ticket prior to leaving, as anticipated at T-7 days that leg dropped off the reservation. After a couple of calls to Vayama, I realized that they would be useless in fixing the issue, and instead called TG via skype and the agent was able to re-link the flight to my reservation.

Was not able to online check-in for the TG flight, but everything was fine with checking in at the counter at RGN. Bags checked all the way to SFO, but picked up boarding passes for the KE flights in BKK. Make sure to have a print-out of your itinerary to show the transit agents.

Overall, had an amazing time in Myanmar (2 days in Yangon, 3 days in Bagan).
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
TG has a formal upgrade policy and set list of prices for airport upgrades (based on routes and a kind of zone formula).

they used to publish this list but I'm having trouble locating it.

I have found the terms and conditions (from the .au site) which are (note the supposed class restrictions and miles earning restrictions):

aside from the official policy I'm guessing upgrades might also be processed differently under some local conditions (for example if the flight is overbooked they might offer upgrades to otherwise ineligible classes).

note first class is not offered ex rgn, so the upgrade would be to business class.

Thanks.

"Frequent flyer mileage earned will be based on the original fare paid" pretty much answers the question.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
BKK-RGN vv should be 80$ for a standby upgrade: http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...DL_card_EC.pdf

Sometimes TG reissues the ticket, so you may get lucky.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
BKK-RGN vv should be 80$ for a standby upgrade: http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...DL_card_EC.pdf

Sometimes TG reissues the ticket, so you may get lucky.
I was offered Y to C upgrade for $70 at RGN a couple days ago, RGN-BKK segment.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
anyone connect Domestic-International at RGN?...
I'm looking at a flight from Bagan to RGN that lands at 6 PM, my TG flight is at 7:40 PM... should I risk it?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by jfkeze
I'm looking at a flight from Bagan to RGN that lands at 6 PM, my TG flight is at 7:40 PM... should I risk it?
Based on what I heard, this is too risky. Flight delay is very common at RGN.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
Having just flown from Bagan to RGN, I would not risk it.

In my case all domestic flights went on time (and this was the case with all other flights I observed on the two days) but I still felt more comfortable having an extra night in between my domestic and international connections. That peace of mind did cost me an extra $200. You can always use the extra time to visit one of the markets in Yangon (but keep in mind they are closed on Mondays).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Although you would probably be ok, the flight schedules change frequently. If the airline has passengers to pick up in Inle that were not originally intended, you will stop in Inle. I booked a point-to-point Bagan-Yangon flight that stopped 3 times before landing at RGN.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:39 pm

Has anyone had trouble getting mileage credited on KE (SkyPass) for their flights?

I got the correct mileage for BKK-ICN & ICN-LAX, but my girlfriend only got credit for BKK-ICN and is missing her ICN-LAX leg. If I look at the ticket stub her FF number is missing from that stub, but it's correctly printed on all others.

I want to contact KE to get the miles credited but wonder if it's best to just leave it alone...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Completed outbound half of my R1 itinerary to LAX on KE without incident.

Now to get the return fixed. If KE will do KE 18 and the ICN-RGN segment as suggested in vayama's email, I'll probably go for it.

Thanks to all contributors to this thread for your help. I just wish I'd been smart enough to book into F. But certainly can't complain.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:15 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I also wouldn't risk that, although it is certainly technically doable if your domestic flights are on time.
You will need to collect your luggage, then walk outside (about 1-2 blocks) on the sidewalk to the intnl. terminal. Security and check-in are relatively quick and easy at RGN.

I would highly recommend one night in RGN. Go to the Shwedagon Pagoda at night - it's really quite impressive!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:04 pm

TG+NZ R1

R1 Ticket DL stock:
Now sitting in the UA Lounge in HKG, waiting to board NZ to LHR.
Checking in in RGN was hard. We arrived before TG checkin opened. The agent could not find any ticket and even after showing them our printouts she was unable to check us in (always talking about our inbound flights and that it's a problem that they were on a different ticket ?!). We were transfered to a supervisor and after showing them our coupon statuses and ticket numbers she finally gave us our boarding passes. I strongly recommend to bring proper documentation.

NZ needed the ticket numbers too but everything else went smoothly so far.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will I be able to pay my hotel bill in kyats or USD or a combination of both?
If I can't unload leftover kyat at hotel is it easy to exchange it back at the airport?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
ditto all the above posts. might be late, you have to schlep about 2 city blocks from the domestic to intl terminal, I also had a surprise stop on my way to bagan. Plane made a stop in Mandalay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.