Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Cologne (Koln) Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Cologne (Koln) Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Bacai
This is a real turn off. Denied 1 PM check-out is unacceptable.
Yep, plus you get locked out at noon sharp even if you have a late check-out.

I finally got the 1pm after complaining about not working AC in the room - I asked at check-in and it was denied.

Mr. Nacho got 2pm and when I went down to re-do the key, someone was in the same situation - which is seriously ridiculous. Most hotels I stayed at usually have the key working until 12:30 to 1pm.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Oh boy, I really am looking forward to my stay here now

Anyway, I have noticed the same key card problem at several Marriott hotels in Germany, ie. they give you a late check-out but key card still stops working before your extended check-out time. Likewise, only in Germany have they missed my Platinum status and only given the benefits after I point it out. And only in Germany have they missed I'm using my corporate rate and tried to bill the rack rate at check-out.

I'm starting to lose my faith in German efficiency.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Oh boy, I really am looking forward to my stay here now

Anyway, I have noticed the same key card problem at several Marriott hotels in Germany, ie. they give you a late check-out but key card still stops working before your extended check-out time. Likewise, only in Germany have they missed my Platinum status and only given the benefits after I point it out. And only in Germany have they missed I'm using my corporate rate and tried to bill the rack rate at check-out.

I'm starting to lose my faith in German efficiency.
I stayed in German Marriotts pretty often, and quite a few hotels I don't have trouble with my key cards.

So far Mr. Nacho's Plat status are all noted at check-in in Germany. Only in the US they missed it 2 times.

Maybe you should try mentioning the late check-out and upgrade at virtual concierge. WE didn't do it because we have done it numerous times and they never worked.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
This has pretty much been the case for me at every hotel I have stayed. Having learned this a few years ago, I always have my key recoded when I am given a late check-out. The only place I have experienced where this was not required was at the SPR due to their RFID keys.

BTW, having mag-strip keys to stop working at check-out time on the day of departure IS their inherent efficiency.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Note to self: stay at DUS Ren instead of KOLN Marriott...

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Note to self: stay at DUS Ren instead of KOLN Marriott...
Cheers.
I would not go this far. KOELN Marriott is a nice hotel; rooms have a contemporary design and are overall nicer than rooms at DUS Ren. My impression is that KOELN Marriott has quite a fluctuation of trainees at FD which can lead to CS issues. No such experience at DUS Ren.
Taking the great rates into account one can get at both hotels you most likely will be ok at the one or the other...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I guess those trainees must be trained to say no to anyone/anything? For me I don't even think it's the staffs' problem, they are like robots - they do what their boss told them to do. So e.g. if there is something wrong during the stay and if the staffs asked me, I'll tell them what happened (if my stay was good or bad).

Very typical response would be ''I'm sorry' and that is. A few hotel FDs actually jotted down what happened and tried to do something to compensate us (of course we said no because we just wanted to hotel to realise that there is some problem with the room).

I did meet one incompetent staff at the Ren during my last visit too. She is NOT a trainee (seen her last time and if she is still a trainee then there might be some issues with her). She insisted that my parcel hasn't arrived at the hotel even though DHL tracking said it has. I went back to the room and found who signed the package and told them and they were trying so hard to find the package. She also insists that we can only use 1 device per time for our free internet. After I told her that I'm Gold she called and asked and told me it's ok.

With all the service the Ren has provided me - oh forgot the 3pm check-out, the very dated room has become less significant (it's because I never paid much for a room).

Koeln Marriott's management needs to relearn the 'spirit to serve' concept IMO.

I do agree that Koeln Marriott is nicer in general, the rooms we got were ok size and it's walking distance to the Hbf. This Marriott is not even as bad as the one in Hamburg - at least the lounge cocktail main course is great and the beer was awesome. In Hamburg you are not even allowed to have the breakfast at the restaurant unless you pay.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the link of the 'amazing omelette':

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by nacho
Here's the link of the 'amazing omelette':

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
The picture is worth a thousand words.
The mushrooms are well lubricated with oil

I'm glad that Marriott International responded quite quickly ^.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well they told the hotel to write back and they did. I told them to read my review here at FT and Marriott Insiders. I think they did and they were a bit upset that I didn't go to the manager on duty or the GM during my stay when I had the issues.

The hotel management had meeting about the issue and I'm glad that they take the issue seriously.

The reason why I posted the picture out was that I simply couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. After I have told the FD at check-out (the EA to the GM reminded me that the FD supervisor offered our kids ice-cream as an apology).

I haven't heard a single thing from the management since check-out. So I thought maybe I should let MI know about this.

I got 4k pts from the hotel - I never ask for any and that's NOT the purpose of posting the picture. The most funny thing about their reply was that they claimed 4k pts worth USD 400
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by nacho
I got 4k pts from the hotel - I never ask for any and that's NOT the purpose of posting the picture. The most funny thing about their reply was that they claimed 4k pts worth USD 400
You can't book 1 free night with 4k points or redeem for breakfast.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bacai
You can't book 1 free night with 4k points or redeem for breakfast.
That's why it was ridiculous - it's the typical European thing - they don't think they owe me anything so 4k for them is 'generous'.

When she offered me 4k, I replied that, 'first of all I don't have to spend 400 USD to earn the pts since I'm Gold and Mr. Nacho is Plat'. I can also buy those points using roughly USD 50....... If you think that 4k is acceptable, then I'll accept them.' I wrote this because I wasn't out for compensation.

Put it this way: I won't spend 4k points to eat breakfast there
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:11 am

Just stayed at the Marriott Cologne. They upgraded me to an Grand Executive Suite. The check-in was not friendly at all, the suite was great though.
Breakfast and evening spread were also good, all in all a great stay for 75€.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mystery7
Just stayed at the Marriott Cologne. They upgraded me to an Grand Executive Suite. The check-in was not friendly at all, the suite was great though.
Breakfast and evening spread were also good, all in all a great stay for 75€.
Did you order omelette?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I might order an omelette in couple of week just to be able to compare it with Nachos

Where do you guys find those 75EUR rates? I'll be staying a paid Sun-Mon night and then a couple of nights on points. The cash night is 139EUR (Sunday night special) and the nights on points would cost 152EUR each?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.