Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Richmond, VA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Richmond, VA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
764 said price is important, hence looking at the Marriott as it's less expensive than the other options.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
764toHI, if you're going mainly for a wedding at the Jefferson, get a room at one of the downtown hotels! One-way taxi fare to the above-mentioned West End hotels is about $30, which neutralizes the savings of staying at the Courtyard or Res. Inn near the awesome Richmond Volleyball Club rvc.net . IDK about Uber.

And BrightlyBob, I too love the Penny Lane pub, which is about 2--3 blocks south of the DT Marriott. Esp. their rockin' karaoke night on Mondays (!)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I stayed at the Richmond Marriott about 6 months ago. It's absolutely nothing special, standard large conference centre Marriott. Clean and comfortable, it does the job. The lounge is however very strong, for US lounges, with very strong food offerings and hosted during evenings by the highly attentive Dawn.

Very much downtown, it's an easy walk to both the Capitol, and to a very good English pub.
Dawn is amazing! She owns that lounge, which is one of the best in the domestic market.

Billy
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Thanks all for the recommendations, looks like I'll go with the Marriott
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Thanks all for the recommendations, looks like I'll go with the Marriott
Can you report back on what the exec lounge situation is on the weekend - aka, open or closed, if open, open for brekkie only, if closed, is brekkie in restaurant cont'l or full? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can you report back on what the exec lounge situation is on the weekend
Has anyone stayed over a weekend recently? Lounge open/closed?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by rjtfdx
Has anyone stayed over a weekend recently? Lounge open/closed?
Property's website says lounge is open only for breakfast on weekends, which matches the last update on the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Dawn is amazing! She owns that lounge, which is one of the best in the domestic market.

Billy
I was there recently and Dawn was in the lounge. As mentioned, she is very attentive and friendly.

Regarding the hotel itself, I found it VERY dated, and nothing special. My bathroom door wouldn't even close, as the door clearly wasn't made for that door frame....

The location is good if you need to be downtown.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I was there recently and Dawn was in the lounge. As mentioned, she is very attentive and friendly.

Regarding the hotel itself, I found it VERY dated, and nothing special. My bathroom door wouldn't even close, as the door clearly wasn't made for that door frame....

The location is good if you need to be downtown.
Originally Posted by Delta3MM

Billy
As a follow up to my previous post, the Assistant GM emailed and called me today after reading my survey. He was incredibly apologetic about the bathroom door not closing, and that I had to ask about elite benefits. He also mentioned to me that the hotel will be going through renovations which will update the rooms, and they will have a beautiful new M Club.

He was incredibly gracious, and I would stay there again. I also mentioned Dawn's stellar customer service in the lounge.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:31 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Warning: Richmond Virginia Marriott

RANT ON: I travel often to Richmond for business but had not since early December due to the holidays. I booked my usual hotel, the Richmond Marriott, upon making plans to return. Signs in their lobby at my last visit indicated that they were planning renovations, but nothing on the web site indicated that there were renovations happening when I booked for four nights this week. When I arrived last night (actually this morning), I was exhausted, so I bypassed the makeshift front desk and went right to my room. Mobile keys, amirite?

This morning, I headed up one floor to where the concierge lounge used to be, only to discover that the 16th floor is now all freshly renovated guest rooms, and no lounge. Okay, no problem. I went down to the makeshift front desk to inquire about the location of the lounge and was informed by the front desk supervisor that, not only is there no lounge, but there is no restaurant, either. When I asked him about the lounge/breakfast amenity, he apologized and said there was nothing that could be done. I asked to talk to a manager. After twenty or so minutes, she likewise told me there was nothing to be done. I then asked to talk to the GM, and he appeared quite quickly. His opening line to me was that I would be more comfortable at another hotel. The guy tried to walk me without even asking me what the issue was. I informed him that I would not be leaving, but that, according to the Ts & Cs of the Bonvoy program, I was entitled to breakfast or cash compensation. His response to that was that the rules don't apply when a hotel is under renovation. What?!?! I found this response so ridiculous that I laughed and that made him angry. My pointing out the Ts & Cs on the Marriott web site did NOT calm him down at all. When I pointed out that cash compensation was due me, he reiterated that I should leave and told me that he was "not prepared to compensate" me at this time. I again refused to be walked, and he suggested that I let him buy me a cup of coffee at the Starbucks kiosk (apparently the only source of food in the entire hotel).

I returned to my room and called the Marriott Titanium Desk. The agent took my information, looking up pertinent facts along the way. She said she would submit my complaint to the property and I should expect a response in five to ten business days. I pointed out to her that, once I leave the property without resolving the compensation issue, I am given to understand that no compensation will be paid out. She told me that there was nothing else I could do. Interestingly, during all of the exchanges that I had with hotel staff, no one offered me points as compensation, which is often the first go-to to shut someone up (ahem, I mean remedy a customer service deficiency). :RANT OFF

Here are my issues:
  • A "full service" Marriott property has shut down all food service (except for Starbucks fare), apparently for several weeks, during a renovation. I have stayed at many, many Marriott properties that were undergoing major renovations and have never experienced a situation where they did not make provision to have a concierge lounge and at LEAST room service.
  • No notification was made to me at all (neither when I booked, nor in my confirmation and follow up emails, nor when I checked in) that the hotel was experiencing major renovations and would have extremely limited services available.
  • The hotel is providing room service and breakfast door tags in their rooms, and offers dining package rates on their web site for dates where no food is available.
  • No one at the property, up to and including the general manager, thinks that not offering elite amenities is a big deal.
  • Marriott's customer service seems to be doing little if anything to help. I guess that the Ts & Cs are only binding on the property if the property wants them to be.
  • Did I mention that the total cost for four nights will be almost $1200 at a hotel where my usual rate is $189 per night? My usual rate was not available because of lack of rooms - due to renovation.
Any thoughts on how to proceed/escalate this? Given that I have spoken with both the GM and Marriott Customer Service with no satisfaction, I am at a bit of a loss. I am here for a few more days. Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I would be upset if I encountered your situation. One of the main reasons I select a full service property over a limited service property is the lounge and the onsite restaurant and bar. Hotel definitely should have had bold face warnings about the lack (or very limited Starbucks only) food service during the renovation on both the Marriott Website and I all email confirmations. E.g. it should be very hard for someone considering a stay at the property during the renovation to not hear about the lack of normal food service.

What to do next? Probably try the FT Bonvoy Lurkers via PM. Could also go to the Marriott Exec Office. Myself, I would give The Lurkers a chance to assist before escalating to the executive offices.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jan 21, 2020 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a joke. And that GM sounds like a bit of a tool. Can you seek revenge through a threat of Twitter exposure? Maybe get in touch with the Marriott lurker here.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you seek revenge through a threat of Twitter exposure?
My vengeance is always swift, silent, and anonymous. Or at least enough to have plausible deniability, but not so much that the person has any doubt who did it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I assume you are talking about Broad Street? I just tried a dummy booking for today through Friday.They must be planning on the fastest renovation completion ever because there is no warning about construction AND they are booking Club Access rooms. Ridiculous. I'd really let them have it. Unacceptable response to you. I'd call Customer Service while at the front desk.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
What to do next? Probably try the FT Bonvoy Lurkers via PM. Could also go to the Marriott Exec Office. Myself, I would give The Lurkers a chance to assist before escalating to the executive offices.

--Jon
Excellent advice. Thank you, Jon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.