FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Richmond, VA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/528967-marriott-richmond-va-master-thread.html)

Cindi89 Feb 21, 2006 3:01 pm

Marriott Richmond, VA [Master Thread]

Hi

I have an upcoming trip to Richmond Virginia. Can someone offer suggestions.

orfflyer Feb 21, 2006 7:08 pm

Don't go!

But seriously, if you can stay away from downtown (where there IS a Marriott if you must be downtown), the Richmond Marriott West is a decent property and has plenty of places to eat/drink nearby.

Brendan Feb 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Actually I enjoyed Downtown Richmond right after Christmas. Stayed at the downtown Marriott which is 2 blocks away from Penny Lane, a fine Idine English pub with karaoke on Monday nights. A few blocks east in Shockoe Slip are an Irish pub with live music & several Idine restaurants.

keeton Feb 21, 2006 9:15 pm

A little more detail might be helpful - Is this trip business or pleasure? Are you looking for more basic or lavish accomodations? Will you be using points or trying to maximize earnings? What part of town do you want to be near? (whew! :p )

I am actually heading to Richmond myself next week. Unless they have done some serious renovations and an attitude adjustment of the staff, I would avoid the downtown Marriott. The Marriott West is near a bunch of office parks and is near the Courtyard Northwest (which is where I will be staying due to availibility of my corporate rate).

foodguy Feb 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Richmond has a number of Marriott properties all around the city. I like the Marriott West FS hotel. It is convenient to the interstates, close to downtown, and minutes from numerous restaurants off of Broad street. This is the hotel where I stayed during 9/11--A co-worker and I watched the terrible events occur on the TV in the C-lounge.

DWilliamson5002 Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm

The FS Mariott west is nice but just about a block away is a nice brand new Towne Place Suites, and RI a CY. about a block away from those is a brand new FI. West End of Richmond is nice and safe and has about everything food wise within a mile....

Cindi89 Feb 28, 2006 3:01 am

Richmond Marriott

In response to the question, I'm going for business.

BobbyP Mar 6, 2006 2:46 pm

I stay at the Marriott Richmond Downtown property frequently and find it to be pretty nice, especially if you will be working DT and don't want to hassle with fighting traffic from the West End of Richmond where the other FS Marriott is. It has a quant little open air lobby bar, and a descent concierge lounge. BTW... use the BOA rate at ~100! :) .

764toHI Mar 23, 2017 6:56 am

Does anyone have any recent experiences with this property?

jrsinpdx Mar 23, 2017 8:16 am

I go to Richmond once a month and if you must stay at a Marriott I recommend the CY / RI combo on Cary Street & 14th. Both are OK and near several restaurants. Personally, I've moved my stays to "The Jefferson Hotel". It's still downtown but the hotel is far superior to any Marriott property and the price is usually competitive.

764toHI Mar 23, 2017 8:42 am

I'm actually attending a wedding at the Jefferson Hotel but the rates are $150 more than the Marriott on the dates I'm looking at. My other thoughts are the new Delta Hotel and the Westin off of I-64 (leaning against it given distance). The CY/RI are also more expensive than the Marriott/Delta/Westin.

Originally Posted by jrsinpdx (Post 28075976)
I go to Richmond once a month and if you must stay at a Marriott I recommend the CY / RI combo on Cary Street & 14th. Both are OK and near several restaurants. Personally, I've moved my stays to "The Jefferson Hotel". It's still downtown but the hotel is far superior to any Marriott property and the price is usually competitive.

bucs0721 Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Downtown RVA, your best choices are the CY/RI that you mentioned. Both are relatively new (1-2 YO?). Plenty of restaurants & clubs near there including the Tobacco Company up the street. Everything there is walkable - one of the main tourist areas in downtown RVA. The Jefferson is a short Uber ride away.
The Westin at Broad & I64 is further west in an office park. It's newer & about 10 miles from the Jefferson. There are a few walkable choices from there but not as nice as downtown.
There are other Marriott hotels further west in Short Pump. Lots of places to go & things to do out there but 15+ miles to the Jefferson.
So depends on what you want & how close you want to be to the Jefferson.

SkiAdcock Mar 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 28076078)
I'm actually attending a wedding at the Jefferson Hotel but the rates are $150 more than the Marriott on the dates I'm looking at. My other thoughts are the new Delta Hotel and the Westin off of I-64 (leaning against it given distance). The CY/RI are also more expensive than the Marriott/Delta/Westin.

If you're only going to be there for the wedding night & won't spend much time in the room, go w/ the Marriott if it's cheaper.

Cheers.

BrightlyBob Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am

I stayed at the Richmond Marriott about 6 months ago. It's absolutely nothing special, standard large conference centre Marriott. Clean and comfortable, it does the job. The lounge is however very strong, for US lounges, with very strong food offerings and hosted during evenings by the highly attentive Dawn.

Very much downtown, it's an easy walk to both the Capitol, and to a very good English pub.

krlcomm Mar 24, 2017 6:07 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI (Post 28076078)

I'm there several times / month. Downtown Marriott is closer to the Jefferson but the CY/RI property is newer and nicer IMO. If closer proximity is important then the Marriott is a better choice. The hotel van has taken me over to the Jefferson for meetings too.

And the Marriott hotel bar has cheap pints at happy hour.:D