Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle

Hello everyone,
So I just checked into the fairfield inn buckhead, and I'm using a cat 1-5 certificate.

1. My name wasn't included on the elite member welcome letter at the front desk: no biggie.

2. I asked for an upgrade and the lady tells me that upgrades aren't given while using pts at Fairfield inns. I call bs on that and she says "at this hotel we don't offer them. Fairfield is the lowest chain out of marriott so we don't have flexibility like that" at this pt my brain is fried from pure ignorance...

Is this incorrect info ?

3. I'm not offered a platinum arrival gift.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Hello everyone,
So I just checked into the fairfield inn buckhead, and I'm using a cat 1-5 certificate.

1. My name wasn't included on the elite member welcome letter at the front desk: no biggie.

2. I asked for an upgrade and the lady tells me that upgrades aren't given while using pts at Fairfield inns. I call bs on that and she says "at this hotel we don't offer them. Fairfield is the lowest chain out of marriott so we don't have flexibility like that" at this pt my brain is fried from pure ignorance...

Is this incorrect info ?

3. I'm not offered a platinum arrival gift.
Not required, always a courtesy.

Looks like no dinner for you!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:51 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Neither how you pay for a room nor the rate you have affect whether you should receive an upgrade or not. So the check-in agent was incorrect. But what they have to "upgrade" you to is not really mandated.

And as a Plat you should have been offered the choice of points or a food/beverage item. So you could definitely invoke the Plat Guarantee (which for an FFI I think is $25.) Note that they may try to say you did have a choice and chose to receive the points. If you didn't do that, then they owe you the $25 (and you MUST notify them of that before you check out. Once you check out, they are off the hook.)
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Does Fairfield Inns even have rooms that are considered upgrades?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Not required, always a courtesy.

Looks like no dinner for you!
You're confused. The point of my post was to say that the agent said I do not even get an upgrade because I'm using points. That's incorrect.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
Does Fairfield Inns even have rooms that are considered upgrades?
They have suites
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Neither how you pay for a room nor the rate you have affect whether you should receive an upgrade or not. So the check-in agent was incorrect. But what they have to "upgrade" you to is not really mandated.

And as a Plat you should have been offered the choice of points or a food/beverage item. So you could definitely invoke the Plat Guarantee (which for an FFI I think is $25.) Note that they may try to say you did have a choice and chose to receive the points. If you didn't do that, then they owe you the $25 (and you MUST notify them of that before you check out. Once you check out, they are off the hook.)
Do you have a link that talks about this "platinum guarantee"??

These people at this hotl most likely won't have a clue what that is.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:56 pm

Usually they do. I've quite often been upgraded to an "Extended King" room.

Some may have rooms with better views or better locations within the hotel.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Nevermind I see it here.
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...s/guarantee.mi
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:58 pm

Do you have a link that talks about this "platinum guarantee"??
Marriott Rewards Elite T&Cs
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:05 am
Suspended

You're confused. The point of my post was to say that the agent said I do not even get an upgrade because I'm using points. That's incorrect.
Your statement later in your post that we don't give [upgrades] because F/I are the lowest category of Marriott hotels,

I call bs on that and she says "at this hotel we don't offer them. Fairfield is the lowest chain out of marriott so we don't have flexibility like that..."
is much more general and that is what I was commenting on in your post -- so it appears that perhaps both of you were confused as to what each of you were seeking.

However, the relevant language that you are seeking is the following:

¶¶¶ Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi

Moreover, claiming someone is B/S...ing you is most certainly not the way to get your point across and obtain what you are seeking.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Oct 12, 2014 at 5:14 am
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by njupintheair
moreover, claiming someone is b/s...ing you is most certainly not the way to get your point across and obtain what you are seeking.
exactly, agree 100%^
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
If you want to experience more of what the Marriott Elite program offers to members, then don't stay at their bottom of the food chain properties. Fairfield and the other less expensive chains don't have a lot of perks to offer elites.

The last time I had to stay at a Fairfield a couple of years ago, I was one of two Platinum Premiers in residence there. We got the best they had to offer: a room with a sitting area and a second TV.

I don't remember what my arrival gift was back then. Might have been a cookie and a soft drink. The manager was pretty nice to us and all the other consultants there. She'd have pizza or other stuff like Mexican plus plenty of beer in the lobby lounge most evenings.

I sympathize with the OP not getting recognized and receiving his benefits but IMHO, it's a tempest in a teapot.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01

This.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Your statement later in your post that we don't give [upgrades] because F/I are the lowest category of Marriott hotels,

Y

is much more general and that is what I was commenting on in your post -- so it appears that perhaps both of you were confused as to what each of you were seeking.

However, the relevant language that you are seeking is the following:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi

Moreover, claiming someone is B/S...ing you is most certainly not the way to get your point across and obtain what you are seeking.
The statement regarding FI, that they are the lowest in the chain etc was from the front desk agent. I never commented nor said that.

Again, regardless of how you are paying, a platinum elite member should be eligible for an upgrade. This hotel said I was not eligible bc I am using a certificate. THAT is against Marriott policy and is the basis of my entir post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.