Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
To many, upgrade unavailability at a FFI doesn't rise to the level of a complaint to corporate. Not every "battle" needs to be fought. YMMV.
This.

Given the OP got $125 in compensation btwn points and the PAG guarantee for a 1-night stay at a FFI with a clueless clerk, he should be doing the woo hoo dance. Well actually he is doing that...

I don't want to point t out the obvious but there are plenty of reports by FTers at better properties than a FI where they get clueless clerks who quote policy incorrectly. Tons of threads on FT. Rarely do they ask for comp, much less ask for it multiple times.

They don't necessarily do the following

Argue with the FDC (that one I'll give him, given her attitude)
Posts on FT asking for input multiple times (fair enough clarifying policy at first, but then went on)
Complain to morning FDC (fair enough bit should stop once compensation was given)
Email MR cust svc (why given he had comp)
Email GM (again why at this point. He had comp.GM offers him additional apology after morning fdc offered it and he refuses comp - I'm never stay here again - why not? They gave you comp. The orig fdc got her butt kicked. What's wrong with the property. Take the free night and the points you already got. Actually the fee night was prob worth more and the OP, given all his kvetching, would probably be guaranteed a suite the next time. So gets additional 5k.

So yeah, for a 1-night stay at a FFI and not getting upgrade, that's a lot of energy put into something relatively minor.

OVMV

Cheers
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This.

Given the OP got $125 in compensation btwn points and the PAG guarantee for a 1-night stay at a FFI with a clueless clerk, he should be doing the woo hoo dance. Well actually he is doing that...

I don't want to point t out the obvious but there are plenty of reports by FTers at better properties than a FI where they get clueless clerks who quote policy incorrectly. Tons of threads on FT. Rarely do they ask for comp, much less ask for it multiple times.

They don't necessarily do the following

Argue with the FDC (that one I'll give him, given her attitude)
Posts on FT asking for input multiple times (fair enough clarifying policy at first, but then went on)
Complain to morning FDC (fair enough bit should stop once compensation was given)
Email MR cust svc (why given he had comp)
Email GM (again why at this point. He had comp.GM offers him additional apology after morning fdc offered it and he refuses comp - I'm never stay here again - why not? They gave you comp. The orig fdc got her butt kicked. What's wrong with the property. Take the free night and the points you already got. Actually the fee night was prob worth more and the OP, given all his kvetching, would probably be guaranteed a suite the next time. So gets additional 5k.

So yeah, for a 1-night stay at a FFI and not getting upgrade, that's a lot of energy put into something relatively minor.

OVMV

Cheers
Please re read my original post carefully....

Your sequence of events are off...I called MR customer service Saturday night AFTER I posted this thread and before the next morning when I spoke to the nice fdc.
-I emailed the GM Sunday after speaking to the fdc, as I felt the need to let her know the situation in detail...would help noting the incident for future reference.
-Again, the GM called me the following day Monday in response to the MR customer service email that she received.
-Again, the GM never received my personal email to her, so therefore her call was a direct result of me contacting MR customer service,
-I said my peace to her on the phone as she sincerely insisted that I do so. She offered a free night but that was of no interest, regardless of whatever value you may feel it to be. She insisted on giving me more pts and I said ok. She even followed up with a nice email apoligizing again.

Indeed, she was an overly apologetic GM, who as I have mentioned, was new to the job thus trying to go above and beyond in her duties to resolve issue and make customers happy! That's hard to combat...honestly why would I. Oh wait, to prevent from being "greedy" smh...

"A lot of energy."...good lord, whats the avg age on this forum...60? Again lmao jk :sarcasm:

PS...everyone in this world we live in has a different personality, demeanor, way of doing business, etc etc. I don't care how others acted in similar situations...I am my own person. Giving your opinion on now someone acts and saying it's bad because it's different then how YOU would act helps no one in the end. It's amazing how a simple inquiry asking for help on what to do to help solve a problem at a hotel turns into random people judging one another. What is wrong with this world we live in...

Last edited by alrvd83; Oct 15, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Giving your opinion on now someone acts and saying it's bad because it's different then how YOU would act helps no one in the end. It's amazing how a simple inquiry asking for help on what to do to help solve a problem at a hotel turns into random people judging one another. What is wrong with this world we live in...
You posted your incident in a public forum and then you are upset that others are not popping bottles for you?! You're right. "It's amazing."

The world is fine. If you want to live in it judgment-free, the less attention you draw to your actions, the happier you will be.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 15, 2014 at 11:44 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Please re read my original post carefully....

Your sequence of events are off...I called MR customer service Saturday night AFTER I posted this thread and before the next morning when I spoke to the nice fdc.
-I emailed the GM Sunday after speaking to the fdc, as I felt the need to let her know the situation in detail...would help noting the incident for future reference.
-Again, the GM called me the following day Monday in response to the MR customer service email that she received.
-Again, the GM never received my personal email to her, so therefore her call was a direct result of me contacting MR customer service,
-I said my peace to her on the phone as she sincerely insisted that I do so. She offered a free night but that was of no interest, regardless of whatever value you may feel it to be. She insisted on giving me more pts and I said ok. She even followed up with a nice email apoligizing again.

Indeed, she was an overly apologetic GM, who as I have mentioned, was new to the job thus trying to go above and beyond in her duties to resolve issue and make customers happy! That's hard to combat...honestly why would I. Oh wait, to prevent from being "greedy" smh...

"A lot of energy."...good lord, whats the avg age on this forum...60? Again lmao jk :sarcasm:

PS...everyone in this world we live in has a different personality, demeanor, way of doing business, etc etc. I don't care how others acted in similar situations...I am my own person. Giving your opinion on now someone acts and saying it's bad because it's different then how YOU would act helps no one in the end. It's amazing how a simple inquiry asking for help on what to do to help solve a problem at a hotel turns into random people judging one another. What is wrong with this world we live in...
IMO you took this minor issue from a clueless clerk(they are everywhere at every hotel chain) and proceeded to act like they kicked you out, lost your luggage in the process and cursed at you as they were throwing you out the door. I mean, seriously guy - are you that desperate for free stuff that you turn a minor 1 evening situation into a long drawn out affair with unnecessary compensation galore??? You stayed at the property, you had a nice time with your girlfriend and you INITIALLY made the necessary complaints. Those extra points you took from a new GM (probably overwhelmed with your complaints and the email from MR) was pure GREED, plain and simple. Then when a few people disagree with you you start attacking and calling everyone old lol.

For the record I'm 39 - yes super old I am.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
I don't care how others acted in similar situations...I am my own person.
And I now know where the center of the universe is . . .

Your original thread started off with:

So I just checked into the fairfield inn buckhead, and I'm using a cat 1-5 certificate. 1. My name wasn't included on the elite member welcome letter at the front desk: no biggie. Obviously it is, or it wouldn't have been point # 1.

Add me to the list of people that think that you've been substantially over-comp'd for something that most of us would have said whatever, no big deal.

You didn't get upgraded at a Fairfield Inn while staying on a free certificate. Big deal. Get over yourself already.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
And I now know where the center of the universe is . . .

Your original thread started off with:

So I just checked into the fairfield inn buckhead, and I'm using a cat 1-5 certificate. 1. My name wasn't included on the elite member welcome letter at the front desk: no biggie. Obviously it is, or it wouldn't have been point # 1.

Add me to the list of people that think that you've been substantially over-comp'd for something that most of us would have said whatever, no big deal.

You didn't get upgraded at a Fairfield Inn while staying on a free certificate. Big deal. Get over yourself already.

THIS X 100.

The amount of time JUST POSTING here isn't worth the mental anguish the poster seems to be causing him/herself. Over an UPGRADE at a F flipping I?

Moving on.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
If I was staying at this hotel from this point forward I would be glad the OP made the new manager aware of how her FD staff was doing, both good and bad.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

I was at a conference over the weekend with 500 travelers & the thread came up in conversation by some of them who are Marriott elites who had seen this thread on FT. I won't repeat the comments, but let's just say they weren't all that supportive of the OP.

Anyway, presumably the GM has now updated the FDC on bennies, etc, even on award stays.

Cheers.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If the OP is a relatively new traveler and a new PLT, I do have some sympathy to his initial complaints.

There is no shortage of empty promises and bait & switch confusion in the corporate world telling you how wonderful life will be if you jump through hoops, go out of your way to join our world exclusively, do this and do that - then they look at you like you have 3 heads when you try to collect on those benefits...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
If the OP is a relatively new traveler and a new PLT, I do have some sympathy to his initial complaints.
The OP seems to have traveled quite a bit, based on his various posts on the forum over the years.

No one is disputing the FDC at check-in provided incorrect info & we even provided input on that.

What some are taking issue with is the OP making the proverbial mountain out of a molehill, or to quote mikebor's response to the OP,

"IMO you took this minor issue from a clueless clerk(they are everywhere at every hotel chain) and proceeded to act like they kicked you out, lost your luggage in the process and cursed at you as they were throwing you out the door."

Cheers.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikebor
For the record I'm 39 - yes super old I am.
We're (I'm 35) are a different generation of travelers/consultants. This new generation of twenty-something consultants play the DYKWIA card all the time (thanks FB and twitter) as well as whine and moan when they don't get something free they think they are entitled to.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
IMO, now pointlessly piling on.

Last edited by ohmark; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by ohmark
IMO, now pointlessly piling on.
I agree. I find it ironic that some appear to be doing what they accuse the OP of doing, i.e., spending way too much time "complaining", "time wasting" etc., about a "minor" matter. Perhaps they might look in the mirror. And that might not be a bad idea for those who are making accusations of the OP being a DYKWIA.

Why is it so hard to let go of this? I fail to see what the OP did wrong and why people are so caught up in criticism. If only mirrors could speak.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:30 pm

Well the good thing about FT is that everyone is allowed to express their opinion.

I think most were sympathetic to the OP and provided advice 're: erroneous info by the front desk clerk, including info on collecting on PAG. It was when the OP went way beyond, in most opinions, 're a minor matter, that FTers became less sympathetic and switched to give me a break.

BTW - my mirror is fine

Cheers
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well the good thing about FT is that everyone is allowed to express their opinion.
...that FTers became less sympathetic and switched to give me a break.
The FTers who thought it was a good use of their time and the space here to make multiple comments criticizing the OP, and then even more comments, and STILL won't let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.