Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REFUSED upgrade at fairfield inn buckhead atl

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Although it is too later for the OP, just in case anyone else planning a stay in Buckhead reads this, there is a much nicer newish high rise SHS blocks away, just northwest of the Peachtree/Piedmont Buckhead intersection. The OP is presently on the southesat of the intersection. For the sake of all that is good, stay there next time! Granted, there are no UGs at a SHS, but the worst room there is better than the best room at the FI. Plus, the SHS is more removed from the traffic noise and much easier to get in and out of. The FI is on a one-way section of Piedmont, where you have no choice but to exit going south. The SHS allows easy access to GA400, Phipps/Lenox, and Peachtree and Piedmont in all directions.

And, FWIW, not only is what the desk clerk said so wrong on so many points, isn't TPS considered below FI in the Marriott chain pecking order? That's not a knock against TPS. I've stayed in a couple very nice TPS in the past year. But isn't it the lowest Marriott chain in the pecking order? And aren't we to expect good standards at an FI? While it might be a "lower" Marriott chain, it's still a Marriott chain. It's isn't the Airport Shady Motel or Clairemont on Ponce, of blessed memory.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Actually it just occurred to me that the new Fairfield Inn 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed policy might come into play.

The FDC was wrong by saying upgrades aren't applicable to point stays. Also that it is the hotel's policy not to offer upgrades, and didn't offer the PAG. Of course given it was the FDC that was screwing up, not sure if appealing to her would have resulted in anything, but certainly a call to the GM.

However, if the OP was/still is at the property, just getting the $25 PAG payout might be the way to go. However, technically under the guarantee, if things aren't resolved/there's a problem & the GM agrees, a free FI night or points is compensation. That might have to be done before check out though as well.

You're Our #1 priority.
We promise you’ll be satisfied, or we’ll make it right. That is our commitment to you.

If an issue arises, promptly alert the General Manager or a Front Desk associate so they can resolve it. Hotel associates will make every effort to resolve the problem to the guest’s satisfaction. If compensation is granted, it will be limited to the price of one night’s stay or Marriott Rewards® points for a future stay.

http://fairfield.marriott.com/guarantee.php

FWIW - since not all FIs are FI&Suites so upgrades might be non-existent/minimal, & if it was a single night I wouldn't have been that bent out of shape/taken it in stride. I probably would have gone for the $25 PAG payout though, given the way the FDC handled things & then put it towards dinner, breakfast or gas $$.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Apparently the FDC is making up rules to keep from doing the work, or it's what she was trained to do. I would attempt to escalate to the GM and if s/he is not available, contact MR and ask them to educate the property on the program T&Cs. AND absolutely collect the PAG money!

I've had nice agents at regular properties forget to offer and I let them know the offer is required and not just the assumption points are desired. Too many will claim that was your request when it really wasn't.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for all the responses. To CKKatl, we thought about the SHS but we wanted to be walking distance to Havana club and the bars nearby

So my gf and I just left the hotel. I formally and professionally complained at the front desk this morning and the guy working was a stark contrast to the lady last night. He was downright offended by the agents actions and was very very sorry. Ironically a gentleman in the lobby overheard us and then joined in our conversation also complaining about the lady last night and how she was rude to him! Ultimately, I was given $25 and also 3000 points.

In the end, thanks to you all on the forum for reminding me about this platinum guarantee conpensation, as this was my first time enlisting it.
Thanks!

To skiadcock, it was 1 night but as hotel stays are a large part of our lives, I was just upset that the one night I'm not traveling on business and with my gf, I get a rude agent. I have great loyalty to the brand so I took offense. Horrible timing! By the way, I put the $25 toward our brunch today
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83

By the way, I put the $25 toward our brunch today
^
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended

The statement regarding FI, that they are the lowest in the chain etc was from the front desk agent. I never commented nor said that.

Again, regardless of how you are paying, a platinum elite member should be eligible for an upgrade. This hotel said I was not eligible bc I am using a certificate. THAT is against Marriott policy and is the basis of my entir post.
You misconstrued that I thought that you had said the above -- I don't.

Moreover, I am in full agreement with you that the failure to provide any upgrade -- without checking first -- is contrary to Marriott policy.

Still think it would have been better to disagree on the interpretation and then contact MR, rather than stating someone is full of B.S.

Glad it worked out for you and as a good reminder to all of us, that some degree of FD competence and motivation is required of the agent, as well as a thanks to those about the Platinum guarantee at such properties as well as the "new" FI guarantee, as well.

All's well that end's well.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
.And, FWIW, not only is what the desk clerk said so wrong on so many points, isn't TPS considered below FI in the Marriott chain pecking order?
I'm not sure that "below" is the right term. It is in the extended stay hierarchy and below RIs in terms of services. FIs are not considered an 'extended stay' property.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm not sure that "below" is the right term. It is in the extended stay hierarchy and below RIs in terms of services. FIs are not considered an 'extended stay' property.
correct
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Yeah seems like the hotel could have avoided this trouble by just saying "we don't have anything else available" or even "we have you in the best available room," since as others have said an "upgrade" at a FI is really nothing special.

But saying "you're not eligible for upgrades on point stays" is almost admitting there are better rooms available that they just didn't want to put you in. I once got a somewhat similar answer at another property oddly enough also in ATL.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I once got a somewhat similar answer at another property oddly enough also in ATL.
Hopefully not the Marquis. The two times I have stayed there they have honored my "high floor, connecting rooms, facing towards Buckhead" request as if it was as minor as asking for extra towels, but I know that honoring that type of request required effort. Both times it was for kids sleepover parties, and both times the staff both rolled out the red carpet and made it clear to the kids, per my request, that this was a fancy hotel where guests act like ladies and gentlemen.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Hopefully not the Marquis. The two times I have stayed there they have honored my "high floor, connecting rooms, facing towards Buckhead" request as if it was as minor as asking for extra towels, but I know that honoring that type of request required effort. Both times it was for kids sleepover parties, and both times the staff both rolled out the red carpet and made it clear to the kids, per my request, that this was a fancy hotel where guests act like ladies and gentlemen.
Actually it was...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19031273-post24.html
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle

But saying "you're not eligible for upgrades on point stays" is almost admitting there are better rooms available that they just didn't want to put you in. I once got a somewhat similar answer at another property oddly enough also in ATL.
Yeah good point.

IN THE END, I sent a lengthy email to the manager and she called me today. I told her the entire story and she was downright appalled.
So yesterday i got $25 cash and 3K pts...today she gave me an additional 5K pts.

Complaining professionally and with great validity always works

She did offer up a free night, but I have no desire to step foot back at that hotel. So I said some more pts would be nice. I shouldve said "since your hotel is category 3, and I have already been given 3k pts, can you offer me 12k more?" oh well
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

That is unacceptable. Read my post above...complain like crazy if that happens again. Are front desk agents underpaid or something? Take pride in your job...its not our fault that you ended up in that type of job making below poverty level money!

sorry to offend anyway, but this story and mine are so similar...it angers me greatly.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

IF this website is true, I would also reject upgrades all day everyday...

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/fr...RCH_KO0,16.htm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:58 pm

Yeah good point.

IN THE END, I sent a lengthy email to the manager and she called me today. I told her the entire story and she was downright appalled.
So yesterday i got $25 cash and 3K pts...today she gave me an additional 5K pts.

Complaining professionally and with great validity always works

She did offer up a free night, but I have no desire to step foot back at that hotel. So I said some more pts would be nice. I shouldve said "since your hotel is category 3, and I have already been given 3k pts, can you offer me 12k more?" oh well
Ok, I'm going to be the contrarian here. A bit disappointed in you.

You complained the next morning and were given the $25 and 3,000 points. For a short stay at a FI that's a good resolution.

I'm confused on why you decided to then email to the GM regarding something that had already been satisfactorily resolved - and why you then accepted even more points. Seems like a bit of grab as much as you can to me.

IMO the right thing to do, if you were going to bother emailing, was to say hey I had this situation, it could have been handled better by the original FDC so you may want to review policies with her to make sure it doesn't happen again, but the morning clerk handled it well so kudos to him/pass along my regards. Not asking for comp as the morning clerk took care of that, just wanted to let you know of the situation.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.