Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection - London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection - London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I have a one night stay in a family room on a Saturday in June for a theatre trip and dinner at Handling@Caxton for 10th wedding anniversary (with kids in tow). Very much looking forward to it!

I recently became gold (booked as silver) and would love to get an upgrade. Would people advise mailing ahead to inform of my new status and try my luck with an upgrade or just wait and see if it happens at check-in? I could obviously mention the anniversary but don't always feel comfortable adding things that could so easily be made up and may seem like an attempt to snag something for free (although the anniversary is genuine and I am, ultimately, trying to snag an upgrade for free )...
Report back about your experience at Handling. We were interested in going there the day we arrive in London.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Don't expect too much from Handling. We were just there in DEC and really let down. You can check out my review on TA under the same screen name.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:23 am

Anyone used the hotel transfer service? We were thinking about using the service just to make it a little easier than trying to navigate the Heathrow Express.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
Don't expect too much from Handling. We were just there in DEC and really let down. You can check out my review on TA under the same screen name.
Got it, thanks for the feedback. What didn't you like about it?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by sig05
Anyone used the hotel transfer service? We were thinking about using the service just to make it a little easier than trying to navigate the Heathrow Express.
We took the HE to the hotel but after getting to Paddington you still need to get to the hotel somehow. On the way back we took Uber and were much happier.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:38 am

Got it, thanks for the feedback. What didn't you like about it?
First of all there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many good restaurants in London! Handling was simply trying to hard. Many of the dishes were just SO out there on flavors and mixtures that everyone (we had 6) agreed it was too much. Plus they advertise just about everywhere that they have Wagu beef when in reality, they do not. And lastly I don't care for the space. After eating breakfast there everyday its just hard to transition. But thats mostly just me.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have a one night stay in a family room on a Saturday in June for a theatre trip and dinner at Handling@Caxton for 10th wedding anniversary (with kids in tow). Very much looking forward to it!

I recently became gold (booked as silver) and would love to get an upgrade. Would people advise mailing ahead to inform of my new status and try my luck with an upgrade or just wait and see if it happens at check-in? I could obviously mention the anniversary but don't always feel comfortable adding things that could so easily be made up and may seem like an attempt to snag something for free (although the anniversary is genuine and I am, ultimately, trying to snag an upgrade for free )...
Call Marriott ressies & have them add a note to your reservation re: your anniversary.

Looking at the hotel's website, there's only a jr. suite or king suite to upgrade you to given you booked the family room. The jr. suite has a king bed & a pull-out sofa. The king suite has a separate room, but doesn't say anything about a pull-out sofa.

The family room gives you two queens & two bathrooms & has a courtyard view, so may actually be better than the 'upgrade', especially on a 1-night stay.

If there are 4 of you you may want to consider just getting a cab service from the airport. The UK & Ireland forum has some suggestions on services.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Call Marriott ressies & have them add a note to your reservation re: your anniversary.

Looking at the hotel's website, there's only a jr. suite or king suite to upgrade you to given you booked the family room. The jr. suite has a king bed & a pull-out sofa. The king suite has a separate room, but doesn't say anything about a pull-out sofa.

The family room gives you two queens & two bathrooms & has a courtyard view, so may actually be better than the 'upgrade', especially on a 1-night stay.

If there are 4 of you you may want to consider just getting a cab service from the airport. The UK & Ireland forum has some suggestions on services.

Cheers.
Thanks for the recommendation re. ringing Marriott reservations. We're actually UK based so will be arriving into London by train.

@sig05 will let you know how Handling goes, but we don't go until June. I'd love to do a tasting menu but will do a la carte since my kids are too young to keep there longer than 3 courses. One day maybe, if the a la carte is good...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:17 pm

sig05 - sent you a PM
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I have a one night stay in a family room

[...]

I recently became gold (booked as silver) and would love to get an upgrade.
Stick with the Family Room. With kids, you'll really enjoy having two bathrooms.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Stick with the Family Room. With kids, you'll really enjoy having two bathrooms.
That was my take on it too, especially since it sounds like w/ the upgrade (if it occurred) the kids would also end up on a sofa bed vs. a real bed.

Something that occurred to me. We do get some requests in the the thread asking about properties that have family rooms in London. Maybe we should start a list at some point. I don't think there are a lot of them, but would be good to know. It never occurred to me that St. Ermin's would be one of them. I know Marble Arch has designated family rooms as well.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 queens and 2 bathrooms is awesome. I can't imagine a better one room configuration for a family.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do Gold members still receive free breakfast in the restaurant here?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do Gold members still receive free breakfast in the restaurant here?
Well golly, given there isn't an exec lounge where do you expect them to serve brekkie - in bed? .

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Report back about your experience at Handling. We were interested in going there the day we arrive in London.
Handling has left St. Ermin's. One month before our booking. Stuck now for what to do. 10th anniversary stay at St, Ermin's and really wanted to eat at his restaurant, so the location couldn't have been more perfect. I tried to book Ting @ Shangri-La instead last night but fully booked (as we're 5 weeks away). Not sure my wife will go for KFC instead...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.