Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 5:15 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
San Jose, Costa Rica Marriott

Any reports on this property and how it compares to the San Jose Intercontinental?
Old May 30, 2003, 5:23 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
I'd like to bump this topic as I'm considering a trip to CR next month.

Any updated comments on Los Suenos or the 2 San Jose properties would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2003, 7:42 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Los Suenos Marriott – Costa Rica

Not much in the current Flyertalk on the Los Suenos Marriott – Costa Rica
property so I searched the archives.
The snapshot that I get of this property is the following:

-There is a hotel shuttle from San Jose to Los Suenos, but only one per day that leaves about 10am.
-Taxi from San Jose to Los Suenos is about $60.
-Taxi from Los Suenos to nearest town Jaco is about $5.
-If you are an active person you will want to rent a 4WD and explore some of the wildlife preserves and national parks. Only one FT’er said driving was a bad idea, most suggested that one go ahead and rent a vehicle.
-Pool is great, beach stinks, but is OK for swimming.
-Request ocean view, top floor room.
-Canopy rain forest tour is fun and worthwhile.

I have a few questions remaining.

Not fond of resort dining, I like to get into the local food scene, what are my options like near the resort? In Jaco?

Are roads marked well?

For the preserves and parks, did you hike on your own or have a guide?

Anyone know of Scuba diving in the Los Suenos area?

Anyone go fishing?

Any other activities I’m missing for the Los Suenos area?

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:23 am

Go to LatinPass/Global Pass Forum and do a search and there's a lot on this property.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Marriott San Jose, Costa Rica

I'm anticipating a stay at the San Jose, Costa Rica Marriott in November. Looks like a luxurious hotel on its web site. Anyone have experience with this hotel? Can I expect superior service? Easy to get to town from there? Will appreciate your comments.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:50 am
Original Member

We stayed there on an award stay (2 rooms, 2 nights) in April with our kids. Had a great time. Nice hotel, good service. Arranged a white water rafting tour through their tour desk, good meals in the restaurant, hung out at the pool, and hit some golf balls on the driving range. Good lunch at the restaurant by the pool. Overall, a very nice hotel experience.

It's a few miles into town, but fairly easy to do with a car. We had a car, so it was easy to drive around from there.

Djlawman
Old Jul 25, 2003, 1:38 am

My wife and I stayed there last month for our honeymoon. Service was OK. Location is absolutely beautiful though. The people were very friendly but the hotel is probably understaffed (meaning those people that they have are GREAT). Make sure you eat at La Isabela (Tapas and Wine Cellar), the service there was top notch. San Jose isn’t anything special so don’t bother trying to get into town too much. If you have a chance to get out of town (volcano, etc) do it…the country is terrific.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:29 pm

San Jose, Costa Rica Marriott

I have an award stay at the San Jose CR Marriott next month. Never been in the country before. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 7:49 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
San Jose CR Marriott is high-end resort type hotel, close to the airport. Nice facility, good sized rooms. Everything you would expect in this type of hotel. I've stayed there several times going in and out of the country -- so no long-term stay experience.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 7:16 pm
Original Member

Very nice hotel. Stayed there a few months ago on an award stay for about 3 days. Good facilities, nice golf, booked a white-water rafting tour through their tour office, food was good in the restaurants, although perhaps a little overpriced. Nice hotel. Good use of points too. We are considering staying there again, although I think we may use points to stay at Los Suenos down at the beach next time.

Djlawman
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:03 pm

San Jose, Costa Rica Marriott -- Great Hotel!

Had a 4-night award stay in Costa Rica last week. Even though I am only Silver, they upgraded my room to the top level with a great view of the mountains and hotel gardens. Did not receive use of the lounge, however. Room, restaurants, pool area, and service excellent. Other than the high pricing in some of the shops and driving range, I was satisfied. Only drawback is its isolated location and required $10 for cab ride to the town (about 11 miles away).
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:32 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
bump
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:49 pm
Original Member

Stayed at both a few months ago on vacation. Intercontinental is a small oasis in the midst of a busy business area. One very nice aspect of location is that the big mall, MultiPlaza, is right across the street. Intercontinental has great restaurant, very nice pool, nice rooms. Have been there a few times, and have always gotten very nice service, nice rooms, etc. (I am in the 6CC). Beautiful landscaped grounds, with lots of tropical foliage out back around the pool and gardens.

San Jose Costa Rica Marriott is out in the middle of a coffee plantation out near the airport. Beautiful hotel, with lots of amenities--larger than the Intercontinental. Several restaurants, good shops, good tour desk. Rooms were spacious. Food in the restaurants was good, but I don't think comparable to the Intercontinental (although I did not eat at all of the restaurants at the Marriott). The pool is small and disappointing, although the small restaurant out by the pool has some great food. Has a golf course, but I only went out to the driving range with my son and hit some balls for a morning.

Both are very nice hotels. Both are a few miles from the city center.

Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail or post with any more specific questions.

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited Nov 21, 2003).]
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:14 am

Don't know about the Intercontinental, but the Marriott is a terrific hotel. Stayed there 2 weeks ago on an award stay for 4 nights. The previous poster described it pretty well, but I really liked the pool and jacuzzi, especially since I almost had it to myself every time I used it. Free shuttle from airport, but you need to take a cab to and from the city (flat rate of $10 each way). Does not have a golf course, only a driving range (the charge is $25 incl clubs and bucket of balls). Grounds are beautiful, shops are expensive, restaurants are good and reasonably-priced. Had a nice room on top floor with a great view of the mountains. Everyone speaks English.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:15 pm

Anyone for Los Suenos, Costa Rica?

Looks like a nice property, has ANY one stayed here. Serach provides zero results.

All comments appreciated. How does one get here from San Jose, are well behaved children welcome?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.