Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:29 pm

I appreciate the heads-up on the changes.

Having said that... this is a major devaluation.

The (e) certificates with Mega-Bonus promos or Chase VISA are highly affected.

This is just another treason why I've moved 80% of my stays to SPG. I only stay at Marriott based on location & price.

Marriott is making it easier than ever to move to other programs without looking back.

What I'd like to know is... what is Marriott doing to enhance their "loyalty" program? They were quick to increase hotel levels, eliminate all-inclusive rewards but it's been months since they pulled the EEO offers and still no word what's replaced them or how they intend on improving them?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
I appreciate the heads-up on the changes.

Having said that... this is a major devaluation.

The (e) certificates with Mega-Bonus promos or Chase VISA are highly affected.

This is just another treason why I've moved 80% of my stays to SPG. I only stay at Marriott based on location & price.

Marriott is making it easier than ever to move to other programs without looking back.

What I'd like to know is... what is Marriott doing to enhance their "loyalty" program? They were quick to increase hotel levels, eliminate all-inclusive rewards but it's been months since they pulled the EEO offers and still no word what's replaced them or how they intend on improving them?
I agree. It's SPG, IHG and Carlson or even HHonors for me, after this.

Both the up to Cat 4 and anniversary up to Cat 5 certs are significantly affected.

Contrast that with the free night cert for any hotel in the IHG system for an annual fee of $49.00!

And, yes, there is no foreign currency charge as they are both issued by Chase!

PS -- Imverge, I don't think it is treason on your part!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:51 pm

I recently switched my preferred hotel chain from SPG to Marriott and has given them a lot of business in the past. I even applied for the Chase Marriott card, now those points and the 1-4 category e-certificate is worth way less. At the very least Mariott should as a courtesy upgrade those welcome cert to category 1-5 given this devaluation. I am seriously thinking about switching to SPG and taking my business back from Marriott.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I also noticed that 3 properties where I used cat 1-4 certs are going up a notch, is it possible that these provide the best value so are popular and so go up a notch. Does the formula ignore Cat 1-4 cert use, one would hope so?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I also noticed that 3 properties where I used cat 1-4 certs are going up a notch, is it possible that these provide the best value so are popular and so go up a notch. Does the formula ignore Cat 1-4 cert use, one would hope so?
No. If use use your Certs at a Cat 4 that is going to a Cat 5, you had better apply a cert to that property. They may allow you to place points for that hotel at the old rate and then when your e-cert is issued permit you to substitute it in for the points reservation placeholder, but then again, they may not allow it.

If you are writing about hotels that still will be below or at a CAT 4 after the devaluation, then it is immaterial as you still will be able to use the Certs at those hotels.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
If you are writing about hotels that still will be below or at a CAT 4 after the devaluation, then it is immaterial as you still will be able to use the Certs at those hotels.
What I was implying is do these cat 1-4 certs drive these category changes. The certs value takes a big hit this year.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:59 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What I was implying is do these cat 1-4 certs drive these category changes. The certs value takes a big hit this year.
The criteria Marriott listed for the changes did indicate they take the number of reward redemptions into account, and as far as this calculation is concerned for them, I wouldn't be surprised if Megabus certs are treated the same as straight out point redemptions.

Also, having had more time to review the list of changes, I'm not sure I'm even going to make an attempt to participate in future Megabonus promotions involving the cat 1-4 certificates. Unfortunately, most of my travel is to large cities, and domestically there are fewer and fewer properties located in big cities that are cat 4 and under. (I'll note, however, that there are still some pretty good cat 4 redemption opportunities in certain foreign cities, like Beijing and Shanghai.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The criteria Marriott listed for the changes did indicate they take the number of reward redemptions into account, and as far as this calculation is concerned for them, I wouldn't be surprised if Megabus certs are treated the same as straight out point redemptions.

Also, having had more time to review the list of changes, I'm not sure I'm even going to make an attempt to participate in future Megabonus promotions involving the cat 1-4 certificates. Unfortunately, most of my travel is to large cities, and domestically there are fewer and fewer properties located in big cities that are cat 4 and under. (I'll note, however, that there are still some pretty good cat 4 redemption opportunities in certain foreign cities, like Beijing and Shanghai.)
The Philly area had 6 properties that went up and none that went down.

I wonder if more people from the US stayed stateside and used points here.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Yes, this is a Major devaluation, there is no question about that.

Compare this list to the one that SPG put out and you will see why I believe that this is a severe and unwarranted devaluation when compared to other hotel chains.
Starwood had 13% of its hotels moving down and 17% moving up vs. 3% going down and 15% going up with Marriott.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Starwood had 13% of its hotels moving down and 17% moving up vs. 3% going down and 15% going up with Marriott.
Marrriott are you listening? Those are your top elite customers. Marriott Consierge please relay our message to the top. We would love to give you more $$ but at this rate you give us no choice.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by holtju2
What these percentages tell me is that Marriott probably had a surge in MR point redemption stays in 2011 - which has resulted in a lot of locations moving up a category. Now if this results in a drop in redemptions in 2012 then next year the trend should reverse.

As to it being difficult to find a good Cat 4 to use the cert in - try finding a cat 4 hotel in the UK at all - there are hardly any. I end up using my certs in a cat 3.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by libuser
huge devaluation. All of the Cat4 gems are going up in category. I shall list the blows to elites once again:

- removed EEO (no advance notice)
- will soon remove 135k/$1k (almost no advance notice - we had to come up with it)
- removed a/i packages (no advance notice)
- removed US Air FF programs (received advance notice I believe - AA is the big loser here)
- same old promos(while other chains come up with great promos)
- downgraded property(Cat 4 to Cat 5) with no advanced notice(JW MI)
- Huge devaluation now(advance notice but does it matter at this stage)

Lets see what the next improvement will be. To be honest I have not seen any real improvement for the last 2 years, despite their competitors to be showing REAL improvements.
Question about US Air FF programs. This is meant as generic term--correct? They are not dropping US Airways are they? (I know they dropped AA 1-2 years ago.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by qwest01
What these percentages tell me is that Marriott probably had a surge in MR point redemption stays in 2011 - which has resulted in a lot of locations moving up a category. Now if this results in a drop in redemptions in 2012 then next year the trend should reverse.
If Marriott still uses the redemption rate as a criteria next year. The upgrades of cat 4 hotels to cat 5 is a way to devalue the e-certs.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:38 pm

you have to say this is a horrible move on their end, didn't they just make some changes not too long ago and now another one, I like Marriott but changes after changes i don't think they are that good anymore, they make you use more and more points for redemption but don't give you the same earning power with the $$$ spend......time to find another hotel suitable to you.

I will definitely spend a lot less with them going forward, most of the good hotels going up one category, for those going down either they are not in a good location or old, guess that's the whole purpose of changing category, but 3% downgrade and 15% upgrade, give me a break!!! they are even worst than inflation
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+2

Originally Posted by yoonny
Thanks for the heads up. Good work.
I will echo this on the heads up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.