Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nacho
It's for elites - use 135K points to get $1k Marriott cheques.
I thought I was clarifying what the 135K to $1K Marriott cheque 'deal' to someone. Not everyone is elite here at FT, and I didn't have a clue of what Marriott cheque is until I discovered FT (among other great info and offers)!

Thanks Flyertalk!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Is it just me or is Marriott only delivering bad news while all the other hotels are giving more good news?
Hyatt and SPG are making good changes.
Club Carlson has even had better promos.

And isn't it overdue for some particular good changes with Marriott. Like I can't get into a Ritz lounge even though I'm Plat...
Just saying... Okay. No big deal, the categories changed but make some good changes for plat members.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I believe the hotel category changes also reflect the increased room rates in major metro areas like Philly and Boston. My office has a lot of trouble getting Govt Rates at those locations even booking two - three months out.

It would be nice to see some enhancements to the MR program instead of the devaluations and disappearing benefits we have seen over the last few months. As others posters have noted, MR just continues to take away benefits and devalue the points or certs we already have.

I am also wondering if will we see an update on the BOGO Certs from the Marriott Concierge anytime soon. But I am afraid this update will only relay more bad news from MR.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband has not stayed in a FS hotel in NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, etc in a year except for a couple of conference rates. They exceed his company's max rate per night. I guess other comapnies are will to pay for it, but his is not. With rates going up the way they have I'm not surprised redemption rates have gone up accordingly.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
These changes are painful. Yikes. Marriott is going downhill, while Starwood is looking more and more attractive.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have also seen room rates rise (quite a bit depending on the week) in many large US cities as of late.

While I could see that as a justification to raise redemption levels by any hotel loyalty program, isn't the flip side of rising room rates that there is now more revenue to bring back perks that were cut during the recession due to lower room rates? (And by that, I mean reopening the lounges at FS properties on the weekends!)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
My husband has not stayed in a FS hotel in NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, etc in a year except for a couple of conference rates. They exceed his company's max rate per night. I guess other comapnies are will to pay for it, but his is not. With rates going up the way they have I'm not surprised redemption rates have gone up accordingly.
I'm in the same boat. We always have corp rates, however once we exceed the number of rooms they set aside for us the rate jumps and becomes out of policy. With those corp rates we generally pay a significantly reduced rate based on the market, thus we earn less.

Also with high rates in the Philly/Boston/DC/NYC/Chicago ($250+) you are correct that more people likely redeem points in these markets.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:36 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I thought I was clarifying what the 135K to $1K Marriott cheque 'deal' to someone.
Your post only prompted me to see the OP that libuser posted. It wasn't your post that I was questioning, I was worried that Marriott had actually come out and "officially" stated that the 135K Cheques award was going to be discontinued. AFAIK, they have always had the "end of year" verbiage since the beginning of that award. But it sounds like nothing has changed and it was just me causing a scene. I'll try to be quite now and not cause any more rubbernecking delays.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:36 am
alc

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Marriott Hong Kong SkyCity is going up to Category 5... that stinks!
Just catching up this thread today and this was the very first thing I search in the PDF file. It was a nice hotel to use up my Free Night cert when I visit HK every x'mas. Usually stay here for 1 or 2 nights before leaving HK.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I thought I was clarifying what the 135K to $1K Marriott cheque 'deal' to someone.
You were, my bad and also my apologies to you, I meant libuser. Previous post has been updated.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I wouldn't mind seeing a hotel going from a 6 to a 7 or another going from a 7 to an 8 but having have stayed in a number of these specific Hotels over the past year or two, in the ones I have stayed at there has been NO IMPROVEMENTS, room redo's or any major face lifts to warrant a category increase. Now, just because you are in a major market and your rates go up ? You think that warrants a category increase ? Maybe but I can look at allot of these Hotel category increases where the rates have not seen a ton of change in the past year or so ... I look at several and laugh !! I could argue a number of the 6's back to 5's and 7's back to 6's ...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott has stated over and over that amenities and how nice the hotel is has nothing to do with the category. It's all about redemption rates. When a hotel gets a lot of redemptions they jack it up a bit. Not enough redemptions, they dial down. They seem to have some target for redemption percentage and they will fiddle with the category of the hotel until it hits that target. Some hotels seem to bounce around a lot, probably because at a Cat 5 the hotel got a lot, so moved up, then at 6 not so much, move down, etc.

Usually whenever I feel like a hotel is a real steal it goes up. This has happened at the last 4 or 5 hotels we booked a 5 to 7 day stay at!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: Airtran, Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Sky miles, Marriott Rewards Gold, Priority Club
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Glad to see that every single Marriott within 50 miles of Boston is moving up a category.
Yeah...that sucks. The Tremont courtyard was the last cat 5 I could use my MR Visa cert on.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nickfromct
I've mostly used the Cat1-4 certs to stay at the fairfield inns at JFK.
Is the Fairfield Inn at JFK losing level 4 status with this overall devaluation?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Most of the properties that I frquent are raised up in CAT, hence costs more points for redemption. Meantime, I see Cat1-4 eCerts are being devalued as many of my fav CAT4 will become CAT5.
In 2012, I see more nights will be shifted to SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.