Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by dw
Definitely. There are several cat 5 properties in big cities which represented good redemption values that are moving up to category 6 (i.e. the last remaining cat 5 central Boston property (Courtyard Tremont), the Courtyard in San Francisco, the Ren in Hong Kong, etc.).

It's also getting harder to use the Cat 4 certs from the Megabonus promotions. One of the great redemption opportunities, the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, is now moving to Cat 5.
This was my reaction too. Looks like jumps from 5 to 6 are pretty common -- with a few of my favorites making the jump.

I already have a bit of trouble finding good redemptions for the 1-4 certs that they give during the megabonus, and this looks like it will make it a bit harder. Springhills are, by and large, the way to go on those, I'm finding.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:23 am

huge devaluation. All of the Cat4 gems are going up in category. I shall list the blows to elites once again:

- removed EEO (no advance notice)
- will soon remove 135k/$1k (almost no advance notice - we had to come up with it)
- removed a/i packages (no advance notice)
- removed US Air FF programs (received advance notice I believe - AA is the big loser here)
- same old promos(while other chains come up with great promos)
- downgraded property(Cat 4 to Cat 5) with no advanced notice(JW MI)
- Huge devaluation now(advance notice but does it matter at this stage)

Lets see what the next improvement will be. To be honest I have not seen any real improvement for the last 2 years, despite their competitors to be showing REAL improvements.

Last edited by libuser; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:35 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Is this regardless of stay date?
@Old Hickory, that's correct.

And for anyone interested in a full directory, check out this PDF which includes the changes effective March 15, 2012.

After March 15, a dynamic directory of 2012 hotel categories will be available online (currently showing 2011 hotel categories). Just select a hotel category from the dropdown menu in the top right corner.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Definitely thanks to Marriott for providing the complete list this year. It is appreciated (even if we would prefer more hotels to drop in cat level rather than rise. ).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
This clearly degrades the value of the annual free night that comes along with the Marriott Premier credit card. Some of the hotels that one could have stayed at in the past using the free night cert. would no longer be possibilities.
Marriott Hong Kong SkyCity is going up to Category 5... that stinks!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Thisisit123
Grosvenor House also moved from a Category 7 to a Cat. 8, along with the London Marriott Marble Arch. Meaning all Marriotts and Rens in Central London will be Cat. 8 after March 15.
London Marriott Hotel Kensington moves from 6 to 7 so we will still have one cat 7 that's pretty much central.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The four high category hotels in Aruba dropping one category are already listed under the lower categories. The three cat 8 properties are currently listed as Category 7 and the Renaissance currently shows as a category 5.

What is up with that?

These hotels were listed as category risers in 2011 when the three hotels went from 7 to 8, but apparently they had already dropped back one category since March 2011.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Marriott Hong Kong SkyCity is going up to Category 5... that stinks!
+1. The strange thing is that the hotel is in the middle of somewhere of nowhere, and there are tons of crews staying there (I guess they don't pay that much for their stays).

This year hotel category change is more like a devaluation of points and e-certs from Megabonus don't worth as much as before.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Marriott Platinum, *Wood Gold, National Exec.
I didn't count out the exact number but looks like we lost about 80+ cat 4 properties and picked up 12? I can't see how that's anything but a large devaluation of this program and the cat 4 cert.

I noticed 3 different cat 4's that I've used certs at are now going to 5's. At this point the cat 4 cert is virtually worthless to me. I will no longer attempt to earn the cat 4 certs during promotions.

Marriott, how about making these certs transferable so they maintain some level of value?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:40 am
Suspended

Marriott Concierge:

I cannot find the following hotel on the new lists as either moving up or down, or in the portfolio past 3/15/12 -

(Soon to be Renaissance?) Hotel Ambassadeur Juan les Pins

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...l-ambassadeur/

Is it to remain a Category 7?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:43 am
Suspended

Yes, this is a Major devaluation, there is no question about that.

Compare this list to the one that SPG put out and you will see why I believe that this is a severe and unwarranted devaluation when compared to other hotel chains.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...es-2012-a.html

https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/starwo...hanges2012.pdf
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by libuser
huge devaluation. All of the Cat4 gems are going up in category. I shall list the blows to elites once again:

- removed EEO (no advance notice)
- will soon remove 135k/$1k (almost no advance notice - we had to come up with it)
- removed a/i packages (no advance notice)
- removed US Air FF programs (received advance notice I believe - AA is the big loser here)
- same old promos(while other chains come up with great promos)
- downgraded property(Cat 4 to Cat 5) with no advanced notice(JW MI)
- Huge devaluation now(advance notice but does it matter at this stage)

Lets see what the next improvement will be. To be honest I have not seen any real improvement for the last 2 years, despite their competitors to be showing REAL improvements.
I would also throw in the devaluation in quality / quantity of most of the Concierge Lounges over the last few years. Definitely noticeable since 2008 IMO.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by satori
The four high category hotels in Aruba dropping one category are already listed under the lower categories. The three cat 8 properties are currently listed as Category 7 and the Renaissance currently shows as a category 5.

What is up with that?

These hotels were listed as category risers in 2011 when the three hotels went from 7 to 8, but apparently they had already dropped back one category since March 2011.
The Aruba changes happened a few weeks ago. I'd been watching them frequently and they definitely were higher at the beginning of Feb.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...y-changes.html
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
It is rather ironic that the Atlanta Marriott Marquis moves up a category when Host Hotels (owner of the hotel and once called Host Marriott and a part of the chain?!) says Atlanta was the only major US hotel market to go south last year in both RevPar and Occupancy. The article appeared two or three days ago in USA Today...
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:18 pm

Where do you find the category rating when looking at the hotels on the Marriott website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.