Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by BigE
These changes are painful. Yikes. Marriott is going downhill, while Starwood is looking more and more attractive.
Agreed. After being a bit disappointed about Marriott's decline, I walked by the Sheraton in Bangkok today and I had to admit, I had a little bit of the "grass is greener" come over me. Hyatt and SPG will win me over I think.

Again, these changes don't bother me all that much, but lack of suite upgrades and such... and again, no club lounge at the Ritz!? Is it not Marriott owned?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thanks for the heads up, the notice is appreciated as I see one holiday I was pondering will become cheaper (Bucharest), and my upcoming trip to South Korea now needs to be finalised this weekend. A lot of hotels I recognise there moving up into Category 7... its getting towards a 35k redemption being the standard rather than 30k methinks.

You can see how much the hotel industry is booming at the moment with the effective 12% uplift.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:55 am
Suspended

OK, one piece of barely good news. Not all Category 4 properties in Downtown Philly and New Orleans have been eliminated.

Although the Courtyard Philly, will be gone, the Residence Inn next door will still stay as a Cat 4 -- this year.

In addition, the C/Y New Orleans Convention Center, the Springhill Suites Downtown and the R/I Downtown all appear to remain as Cat 4 properties.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm Reason: Amended as per Swag's observations.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by socrates
Originally Posted by Muerz
It is rather ironic that the Atlanta Marriott Marquis moves up a category when Host Hotels (owner of the hotel and once called Host Marriott and a part of the chain?!) says Atlanta was the only major US hotel market to go south last year in both RevPar and Occupancy. The article appeared two or three days ago in USA Today...
remember that might be Host's experience but might not be market wide
The same article also said that Host owns multiple properties in Atlanta, including a Westin, the Grand Hyatt the Four Seasons, the Ritz Carlton and multiple Marriotts. All those properties combined at least indicate trends for the entire market IMHO.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Muerz
The same article also said that Host owns multiple properties in Atlanta, including a Westin, the Grand Hyatt the Four Seasons, the Ritz Carlton and multiple Marriotts. All those properties combined at least indicate trends for the entire market IMHO.
I can assure you Host's distribution in the market is not representative of the MSA, Host tends to like larger urban core hotels, Atlanta is a big market with a lot of submarkets

Last edited by socrates; Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Looks like they've hired Jeff Smisek from UA to be their consultant on downgrading value and benefits for us through the upgrading of category levels for hotels! We can now call it Marriott Mileage Plus!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
OK, one piece of barely good news. Not all Category 4 properties in Downtown Philly and New Orleans have been eliminated.

In addition, the C/Y New Orleans Convention Center and the R/I downtown appear to remain as Cat 4 properties.
The New Orleans Springhill downtown also remains a cat 4.

In fact, with the six full service hotels all becoming cat 6, the CY Downtown will be the only cat 5 in New Orleans.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swag
The New Orleans Springhill downtown also remains a cat 4.

In fact, with the six full service hotels all becoming cat 6, the CY Downtown will be the only cat 5 in New Orleans.
Thanks, Swag, I'll amend my post above.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by socrates
It's not about a hotels physical conditions, star rankings etc - it's only about the number of points redeemed versus awarded at a hotel and airport hotels award a large number of points so there must be a large number of redemptions at this hotel regardless of condition & amenities
true..forgot that detail.....perhaps people will see the error of their redemption ways!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:20 am

It looks like all cat 5 Hawai'i hotels are going up to 6, and the CY in Kapa'a goes cat. 4 to 5. Isn't that the same property which couldn't make it as a Hilton, and prior to that, as a Radisson?

So only the CY Waikiki, the Waikoloa and the old Kamehameha hotel aren't going up in category, correct?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by honu
It looks like all cat 5 Hawai'i hotels are going up to 6, and the CY in Kapa'a goes cat. 4 to 5. Isn't that the same property which couldn't make it as a Hilton, and prior to that, as a Radisson?
No, the hotel you're thinking of is in Lihue, closer to the airport.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold

So only the CY Waikiki, the Waikoloa and the old Kamehameha hotel aren't going up in category, correct?

the CY Waikiki will be moved up to Cat 5.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:47 am
Suspended

I believe the CY Waikiki is going up to a 5.

However, there is a new CY at OGG that is a Cat 4.

As for the CY in Kauai, I believe that Honu is correct. It was a Hilton or Hampton? prior to its incarnation as a Marriott family property and it is midway between the aiport and the Na Pali coast where the St. Regis is, I believe. It is not where the Kauai Marriott nor where the Vacation properties are near the Hyatt.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I disagree. If 3% go down and 15% go up then it's a further devaluation of our Marriott Pesos in my opinion. Not a big deal but I do think it is a clear devaluation. You have less options with the same number of points.
. . . and if you remove the Egypt Marriotts it's even worse. No one is going there anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by boss315
Looks like they've hired Jeff Smisek from UA to be their consultant on downgrading value and benefits for us through the upgrading of category levels for hotels! We can now call it Marriott Mileage Plus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.