Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park. Asked for 4 PM late checkout; granted without question.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:11 am

Crystal Gateway in Arlington, VA.

Don't need late checkout this week, but I was specifically asked if I wanted one.

First time that has ever happened.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Hi Guys,

For Golds, is the 4pm checkout guaranteed (I know the late checkout is guaranteed but I'm questioning the 4pm aspect)?

I stayed at a fairly new Springhill Suites this weekend and they only wanted to give me a 2pm late checkout - they made the comment "we only generally give 4pm checkouts to Platinum members". I think they are misunderstanding the policy but just wanted to double check. To be clear, they did give me the 4pm checkout in the end without much argument but they still didnt seem to realize that the 4pm checkout was something I was guranteed rather than something they could be nice about. I would like to highlight that they are misinterpreting the late checkout policy in my review of the otherwise great property as I think this is just a small misunderstanding rather than anything deliberate.

To be fair Marriott does not help in their wording of the policy.

Staying at new properties can mean a great room but often comes with the curse of staff who still do not fully understand the reward program and elite benefits.
IIRC Marriott and Starwood have the guaranteed late checkout benefit at the Gold level as 4 pm (same as for Plat and even PP on the Marriott side and Amb with SPG, although SPG Plat75 and Amb also have Your24). Hyatt differentiates with 4 pm for Diamond (aka Globalist) but 2 pm for the lower tier (formerly called Platinum but now Explorer). I don't think the new Hyatt lowest elite tier, called Discoverer, is entitled to late checkout.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Residence Inn Philadelphia/Glen Mills/Concordville...

On the day of check-out, I assumed 2pm was still valid since I had it in writing and proceeded with my day. Got back to the hotel at 11:30am and immediately took a phone call. At 11:50am, the room phone rang. I initially ignored it but when it kept ringing, I finally answered. It was the FDC wanting to remind me check-out was at Noon. I mentioned the late check-out and he said the hotel DOES NOT ever honor late check-out requests. He and I went back and forth for a few minutes before he said if I didn't vacate the room which they needed for anything guest, he would call the police.
Oh how I would have loved to have been there and called the a-hole FDC's bluff!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Stayed at a RC recently as a MR Plat, I was able to do 2pm, not 4pm. 2 hours past normal check-out is the guaranteed benefit at RCs according to the elite benefits for MR.

Rasheed
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Courtyard Seoul Times Square- Upon check-in I was proactively offered a late check-out of 2 pm. I did inquire (even though I didn't need it) about how late they would allow and they said, "Well because you are checking out on a weekend day, we normally don't allow later but we would need to see air or train ticket proof if you really need until late checkout at 4 pm."
Odd but since I didn't need late check out, I didn't press further.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Latest iOS app version now has an in-app confirmation of late check out request.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Courtyard Seoul Times Square- Upon check-in I was proactively offered a late check-out of 2 pm. I did inquire (even though I didn't need it) about how late they would allow and they said, "Well because you are checking out on a weekend day, we normally don't allow later but we would need to see air or train ticket proof if you really need until late checkout at 4 pm."
Odd but since I didn't need late check out, I didn't press further.
That's odd, I requested 4 pm checkout with no problems about a month ago, but I speak Korean. Ended up leaving earlier, but I checked out at the front desk so they can have the room available.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Gold Guaranteed late checkout subject to availability?

I just completed a fantastic stay at the Renaissance Paris Vendome, but I have one question about a slight glitch I encountered. Let me preface this by saying this is not really a complaint as everything else about the stay was excellent (upgraded to a suite, staff was amazing etc). Just more of a clarification if I was correct and/or what I should have done/said differently.

Our flight out of CDG was at 2100. When I checked in and again the day before we checked out I asked about a late checkout so we could roam around, come back for a shower and leave around 4pm. The FDC (lovely girl, had been so great our entire stay) said the very best she could do was 1pm as they were quite full. I let it go at that moment because of the great upgrade we'd been given and I wasn't exactly sure of the wording but when I got back to the room and checked the Marriott website, it clearly said:
Guaranteed late checkout is an enhanced Elite benefit for Gold and Platinum members, offering late checkout guaranteed as late as 4pm. The benefit can be requested through voice reservations, on the Marriott app via the mobile check-in process, at the front desk during check-in, or on the day of departure. This benefit is guaranteed at all participating Marriott Rewards® hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club® is excluded.

This is neither a resort or convention hotel. I went back down the next morning (day of checkout) and asked again and she said that yes, it was a benefit but it was based on availability and they are a boutique hotel and quite small. I nicely pointed out that it did not say that it was based on availability and that guaranteed meant just that - guaranteed.

She went and talked to someone and came back and said that 3pm was the absolute best they could do and that was really going beyond what they should do. They were clearly annoyed. I agreed to 3pm because of how great everything had been up to that point but it was a bit unpleasant.

- Is it not, in fact, a guarantee and are they within their rights to refuse it?
- Was I wrong in pushing for the guaranteed late checkout if they said they were full?
- Should I have insisted on 4pm as written, and if they wouldn't budge, what then?
- How could I have handled this better?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
"...as late as 4 pm"

My understanding of the benefit is that you're guaranteed a late checkout, but it's up to each hotel as to how late it can be. I will happily be corrected on this though! You could also read that as it's your choice, up to 4 pm.

That said, I've always had a more difficult time getting a late checkout in Europe for some reason. Maybe it's just that I have very few stays there compared to the US.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's supposed to be 4 pm, but there's no way to enforce it.

A suite plus 3 pm sounds pretty good all things considered.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Finkface
I just completed a fantastic stay at the Renaissance Paris Vendome, but I have one question about a slight glitch I encountered. Let me preface this by saying this is not really a complaint as everything else about the stay was excellent (upgraded to a suite, staff was amazing etc). Just more of a clarification if I was correct and/or what I should have done/said differently.

Our flight out of CDG was at 2100. When I checked in and again the day before we checked out I asked about a late checkout so we could roam around, come back for a shower and leave around 4pm. The FDC (lovely girl, had been so great our entire stay) said the very best she could do was 1pm as they were quite full. I let it go at that moment because of the great upgrade we'd been given and I wasn't exactly sure of the wording but when I got back to the room and checked the Marriott website, it clearly said:
Guaranteed late checkout is an enhanced Elite benefit for Gold and Platinum members, offering late checkout guaranteed as late as 4pm. The benefit can be requested through voice reservations, on the Marriott app via the mobile check-in process, at the front desk during check-in, or on the day of departure. This benefit is guaranteed at all participating Marriott Rewards® hotels, except at resort and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club® is excluded.

This is neither a resort or convention hotel. I went back down the next morning (day of checkout) and asked again and she said that yes, it was a benefit but it was based on availability and they are a boutique hotel and quite small. I nicely pointed out that it did not say that it was based on availability and that guaranteed meant just that - guaranteed.

She went and talked to someone and came back and said that 3pm was the absolute best they could do and that was really going beyond what they should do. They were clearly annoyed. I agreed to 3pm because of how great everything had been up to that point but it was a bit unpleasant.

- Is it not, in fact, a guarantee and are they within their rights to refuse it?
- Was I wrong in pushing for the guaranteed late checkout if they said they were full?
- Should I have insisted on 4pm as written, and if they wouldn't budge, what then?
- How could I have handled this better?
As I read the benefit, Golds, and better, are entitled to a 4pm checkout and it should have been offered freely by the property. If they insist that 4pm is not available, for whatever reason then you may be stuck. If you have time you might try to escalate with MR but expect the first response to support the property. You will need to push back to get them to actually read the terms and hopefully read it right. They should then make contact with the property on your behalf and get 4pm. Again, if the property insists, you may be stuck. But at least it will be on file and maybe MR will work to bring the property in line later.

Given you were upgraded, maybe asking for a day room to store your belongings and return to change before heading to the airport would have been granted. Some have even reported having access to a lounge and using the gym shower to change worked for them. All this should be worked out early on during the stay and not at the last minute.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
"late checkout guaranteed as late as 4pm"

The wording is slightly ambiguous because it doesn't explicitly indicate who determines the checkout time (the guest or the hotel?).

However, the reasonable interpretation is that the guest can ask for -- and is guaranteed -- a checkout time as late as 4pm.

There have been times when I needed a late checkout, but only until 2pm or 3pm, so that's all I asked for.

If the hotel could pick the late checkout time, the hotel could satisfy the guarantee by setting the late checkout one minute later than the standard checkout time. Hey, technically that would be a late checkout. But it would also make the benefit and the guarantee meaningless.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 4, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kacee
.....A suite plus 3 pm sounds pretty good all things considered.
Agreed 100%. It was a great stay in a fabulous hotel in an excellent location. No complaints here and I will definitely go back.

3pm was fine. I was just wondering whether I had misinterpreted the benefit. It seems the wording does leave it open to interpretation.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
As I read the benefit, Golds, and better, are entitled to a 4pm checkout and it should have been offered freely by the property. If they insist that 4pm is not available, for whatever reason then you may be stuck. If you have time you might try to escalate with MR but expect the first response to support the property. You will need to push back to get them to actually read the terms and hopefully read it right. They should then make contact with the property on your behalf and get 4pm. Again, if the property insists, you may be stuck. But at least it will be on file and maybe MR will work to bring the property in line later.

Given you were upgraded, maybe asking for a day room to store your belongings and return to change before heading to the airport would have been granted. Some have even reported having access to a lounge and using the gym shower to change worked for them. All this should be worked out early on during the stay and not at the last minute.
No gym or lounge at this charming boutique hotel. She said they were full so I don't think a day room would have worked either. And I did ask right at check in, the day prior to departure and again the morning of departure.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you have time you might try to escalate with MR but expect the first response to support the property.
That's pointless. It's very clear from the dedicated thread on this topic that properties can do what they wish and corporate won't intervene.

It's a "guaranteed" benefit that cannot be enforced.
joshua362 and CJKatl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.