Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:45 pm

Things tightening up in my corner of the world (midwest)

For years I have been liquidating VGCs issued by either Metabank or USBank at WMs in my area, never more than $2,000 at at time. About 8 months ago the most convenient to me stopped accepting VGCs. I have tried every two months or so to no avail. So I would drive to two less convenient WM which never gave me trouble for two $1,000 MO funded with 4 $500 cards. The second most convenient worked fine on Thursday and on Saturday I was told by two blue vests and one yellow vest that they had been instructed to no longer accept VGC for MO unless my name was on the card. They said they have been having problems lately with Asian people (their words) coming in with stacks of cards to buy thousands of dollars of MOs and they were instructed to no longer accept VCG unless my name was imprinted on the card. They mentioned that they were told this was because of structuring concerns. I know this is not a problem with the buying of MO but potential of depositing them. Freaked out I immediately drove to the farthest away WM and had no problem. I am a bit gun shy now. I don't want to be stuck with VCGs that I can't liquidate in the game of musical chairs. This is one reason I never buy large numbers of cards ever since BB went dead. I know YMMV but still unnerving. My apologies to my Asian friends, Just recounting what was said.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gooselator714
at WMs in my area, I was told by two blue vests and one yellow vest that they had been instructed to no longer accept VGC for MO unless my name was on the card.
What area/state is this?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
What area/state is this?
Southwest Ohio
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Gooselator714
For years I have been liquidating VGCs issued by either Metabank or USBank at WMs in my area, never more than $2,000 at at time. About 8 months ago the most convenient to me stopped accepting VGCs. I have tried every two months or so to no avail. So I would drive to two less convenient WM which never gave me trouble for two $1,000 MO funded with 4 $500 cards. The second most convenient worked fine on Thursday and on Saturday I was told by two blue vests and one yellow vest that they had been instructed to no longer accept VGC for MO unless my name was on the card. They said they have been having problems lately with Asian people (their words) coming in with stacks of cards to buy thousands of dollars of MOs and they were instructed to no longer accept VCG unless my name was imprinted on the card. They mentioned that they were told this was because of structuring concerns. I know this is not a problem with the buying of MO but potential of depositing them. Freaked out I immediately drove to the farthest away WM and had no problem. I am a bit gun shy now. I don't want to be stuck with VCGs that I can't liquidate in the game of musical chairs. This is one reason I never buy large numbers of cards ever since BB went dead. I know YMMV but still unnerving. My apologies to my Asian friends, Just recounting what was said.
lol you could have omitted the Asian part.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
[QUOTE=Gooselator714;28539279]For years I have been liquidating VGCs issued by either Metabank or USBank at WMs in my area, never more than $2,000 at at time. About 8 months ago the most convenient to me stopped accepting VGCs.

I also do my business in the Midwest and over the years I have ran into similar situations where some Walmart locations get really suspicious
of MO purchase with debit cards, that's why most of the cards I use I got them with my name on it, I also carry my passport (just in case )
From time to time some locations might become hyper-vigilant specially
if they've been dealing with fraud, not from Msrs but from others.
Just get cards with your name on it.

Regards.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:47 am

This morning I had card debit time out on me. Tried using 3 different cards. Had the CSR cancel the transaction (buying 2 MOs). About 15 minutes later the $500 was back on 2 of the 3 cards. For the 2 that the $500 went back to I see a credit of $500. The other one I just see WM SUPERCENTER # -500 and no corresponding credit of $500. All of my successful transactions have WAL Wal-Mart Super followed by a 6 digit code.

Anyone had this occur before? I'm wondering why the money went back quickly to 2 of the 3 cards and not the 3rd card.

EDIT: Looks like many of the transactions show differently. Some have a 6 digit number, some have no number, etc.

Last edited by cdog999; Jul 11, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:44 pm

Walmart in the OC, Socal is tighten up... the one on Harbor Blvd, the yellow vest told me no VGC, at another WM on Beach BLVD, a blue vest say only card with chip will work. SIGHHHHHHH
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:19 pm

There is a rumor about chip only debt cards readers coming to your nearest WM.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Walmart in the OC, Socal is tighten up... the one on Harbor Blvd, the yellow vest told me no VGC, at another WM on Beach BLVD, a blue vest say only card with chip will work. SIGHHHHHHH
Socal here also. Finally got told today by a very friendly csr (with whom i have done 2K mo and 2k bills for last 5-6 months) that the assistant manager has instructed that no MO without "bank issued debit card". looks like its coming to an end. Problem is I have relied on MO + Billpay exclusively for the last 2 years for MS and now am terrified of all the MS prospects going away.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
This morning I had card debit time out on me. Tried using 3 different cards. Had the CSR cancel the transaction (buying 2 MOs). About 15 minutes later the $500 was back on 2 of the 3 cards. For the 2 that the $500 went back to I see a credit of $500. The other one I just see WM SUPERCENTER # -500 and no corresponding credit of $500. All of my successful transactions have WAL Wal-Mart Super followed by a 6 digit code.

Anyone had this occur before? I'm wondering why the money went back quickly to 2 of the 3 cards and not the 3rd card.

EDIT: Looks like many of the transactions show differently. Some have a 6 digit number, some have no number, etc.
Money was not added back to the card 24 hours later.

This morning I checked balance on GC.com and there was an ominous message that card was suspended due to fraudulent balance checks. I called and the person at GC said the card was not suspended and that it was likely a site error. Checking now the card doesn't have that message again.

I may head back over to the Wally today and ask them about the transaction (got the exact timestamp from GC.com). Don't want to make a big fuss over it though as I don't want to burn this location. In case anyone asks the transaction was CANCELLED at Wally.

Anyone deal with this in the past and have any suggestions?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
If it didn't go back on the card within a day or two, it's not likely to no matter how much they say "wait another X business days". If the transaction was cancelled and didn't go back on the card, it's like the MO printer running out of paper - they got to get someone in accounting and possibly corporate approval because a cash refund has to be done. It's only $500, if it's a good walmart, I'd eat it. Depends how much you value the relationship. I've eaten 1 $2K payment and 3 X $300 bluebird loads thus far at Walmart.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ketelone
Socal here also. Finally got told today by a very friendly csr (with whom i have done 2K mo and 2k bills for last 5-6 months) that the assistant manager has instructed that no MO without "bank issued debit card". looks like its coming to an end. Problem is I have relied on MO + Billpay exclusively for the last 2 years for MS and now am terrified of all the MS prospects going away.
I wouldn't jump the gun on this one just yet.........I was told back in March by a manager at a WM I had never visited before that they were stopping allowing MOs to be paid for by GCs in April......that may have been the case, I don't know as I haven't been back since but all my other WMs that I use are business as usual. I have always thought that the MS game can't go on for ever as the MS chain I am on has to be broken somewhere I guess at some point and one part of that chain is WM giving me the ability to drain the VGCs. Anyway, until I come across multiple WMs that stop the ability to use the VGCs, then I am assuming the game continues.

In fact, if it was me, I would purposely go back to that WM at a time when you see the CSR you interacted with is not working and try again.......I have come across a couple of other occasions where the WM CSR has said no VGCs for MOs and I have turned around a few hours later and gotten the MOs through a different CSR. I think at the end of the day, for WM to truly end the use of VGCs for MOs, they will have to change their systems as they did with vanilla if I remember correctly. Anyway, I am hoping I can squeeze another 6 months out of the MS game if I am lucky.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by cdog999

What was the amount of each MO supposed to be? If one of them was 499.30, it looks like MoneyGram got the payment but MO did not print out. In that case the only way is cash refund by WM.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
If it didn't go back on the card within a day or two, it's not likely to no matter how much they say "wait another X business days". If the transaction was cancelled and didn't go back on the card, it's like the MO printer running out of paper - they got to get someone in accounting and possibly corporate approval because a cash refund has to be done. It's only $500, if it's a good walmart, I'd eat it. Depends how much you value the relationship. I've eaten 1 $2K payment and 3 X $300 bluebird loads thus far at Walmart.
Thank you for your contributions. Because of people like you WM actually makes profit allowing VGCs for financial transactions.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
No problem for me in Socal at my 2 friendly WMs, but then again I've gone at least 3-4 times a week every week to both and they start my MO process while I'm still in line. So, they know I'm not doing shady business, just vgc.

I'm pretty certain that I'll be able to MS from my WMs until they hard code vgc blocks. I've had the store manager stand next to me while I was buying MOs before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.