Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
shadow520 must have made a typo somewhere - we all know that one cannot buy more than $1K a day at SAME store - so 4 5B for 2 VVGCs and each $500 autodrained from the 5B is impossible. Who knows exactly what shadow520 has done - 2 5B for 2 VVGC in same store makes sense. 4 5B for 4 VVGC in same store is impossible. 4 5B for 2 VVGC does not make any sense.
The limit is $2k of cards (excluding fees). No store in my area has ever limited me to less than 4 cards.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm

haha All the purchases I've made at CVS and that's the first time I noticed the "MS" at the end of the CC#. It's like they're on to us.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:33 pm

shadow520 must have made a typo somewhere - we all know that one cannot buy more than $1K a day at SAME store - so 4 5B for 2 VVGCs and each $500 autodrained from the 5B is impossible. Who knows exactly what shadow520 has done - 2 5B for 2 VVGC in same store makes sense. 4 5B for 4 VVGC in same store is impossible. 4 5B for 2 VVGC does not make any sense.

Originally Posted by Chelski
The limit is $2k of cards (excluding fees). No store in my area has ever limited me to less than 4 cards.
my personal experience has been more in line with 3rd bolded statement above, rather than the other two

a lot of these is YMMV since many stores like to add sugar and spice by making up their own rules.

the only unambiguous rule i know of is $2K max per rolling 24 hrs. this is bc so far, i havent seen any DP opposing that, with the exception of some folks who manage to bypass it by using different IDs
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
haha All the purchases I've made at CVS and that's the first time I noticed the "MS" at the end of the CC#. It's like they're on to us.
MS is official now. It helps the economic activity and therefore the GDP.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:13 pm

Downgrade Jefferies: Buy to Hold 12/12/2016

https://finance.yahoo.com/chart/CVS
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
MS is official now. It helps the economic activity and therefore the GDP.
MS has been on CVS receipts for at least a decade, nothing new
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
MS on the CVS Receipt stands for Magnetic Stripe.

RF on the CVS Receipt stood for RFID Card (tap) - disabled years ago.

CH on the CVS receipt stands for Chip.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I think your area is same as mine. I just tried debit on 2nd swipe, it doesn't work, so I will continue with credit until it dies.

1k impossible? I've used 4 FBs with 500 and another FB with 25 to purchase 4 VVGC.
He said $500 each drained off his 5Bs. I dont see how one could use 4 $500 5Bs in a single CVS.

Here the system would reject the transaction if it is more than 1K per store. In fact some stores would reject it on the 2nd $500.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 2, 2017 at 9:27 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadow520
Well, yes, I did have a typo and fixed it, but I did buy 4 all in one transaction for a total of $2019.80, charged to 4 different 5B cards @ $500 each, run as debit plus the $19.80 on Amex OBC as credit. I've done 4 @ $500 VVGCs in one transaction from CVS many, many times without issue. So buying 4 at once is not impossible. At least certainly not in my area. YMMV.
Then your area's CVS store must be using a completely different system to keep check of the daily limit.

Even the Wiki said it is $1K per store, and $2K per system-wide, in a rolling 24 hours period.

In my area the rolling 24 hours actually are more like 26 hours as I found the system rejected my ID at the 25.5 hrs more than once. Also on one occasion the system rejected the 2nd $500 and spit out a chit "daily limit reach" when this was the 2nd $500 buy attempted at the same store and passed the previous buy by more than 24 hours. It has happened in 2 other area stores so I come to the conclusion that here I need to wait 26 hours from previous buy just to make sure no hiccup.

On top of that, CVS POS here limit a total of 6 swipes. The transaction cannot be finished, not even paying cash, if after 6 swipe there is still a balance. Learned this a few days ago when trying to use up balances on various cards buying foods on sale.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 2, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:23 pm

Then your area's CVS store must be using a completely different system to keep check of the daily limit.

Even the Wiki said it is $1K per store, and $2K per system-wide, in a rolling 24 hours period.
I don't think the wiki is accurate. Most who post here know the limit is 2k per store rolling 24 hrs.

Your CVS must be imposing it's own 1k limit
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:26 pm

In my area the rolling 24 hours actually are more like 26 hours as I found the system rejected my ID at the 25.5 hrs more than once. Also on one occasion the system rejected the 2nd $500 and spit out a chit "daily limit reach" when this was the 2nd $500 buy attempted at the same store and passed the previous buy by more than 24 hours. It has happened in 2 other area stores so I come to the conclusion that here I need to wait 26 hours from previous buy just to make sure no hiccup.

On top of that, CVS POS here limit a total of 6 swipes. The transaction cannot be finished, not even paying cash, if after 6 swipe there is still a balance. Learned this a few days ago when trying to use up balances on various cards buying foods on sale.

Look at the full site, someone posed a receipt buying 4 VGCs in one transaction.

Your store is the anomaly that only allows 1k.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the wiki is accurate. Most who post here know the limit is 2k per store rolling 24 hrs.

Your CVS must be imposing it's own 1k limit
I think our REGION is subject to more restrictive set up. On top of that some stores went CASH ONLY on ANY GCs.

On top of that, it also seems some stores POS have more restrictive setting than other stores.
For example, I learn 2 or 3 stores the same register would reject the 3rd buy even with different ID. One of such stores has friendly supervisor / manager, who actually open up another register to process the transaction so to avoid the rejection.
Then there are stores the POS have no issue doing b2b2b2b.

There are a few of us here and we all experience the same. Some further south of me have even worse experiences.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:20 pm

I think our REGION is subject to more restrictive set up. On top of that some stores went CASH ONLY on ANY GCs.

On top of that, it also seems some stores POS have more restrictive setting than other stores.
For example, I learn 2 or 3 stores the same register would reject the 3rd buy even with different ID. One of such stores has friendly supervisor / manager, who actually open up another register to process the transaction so to avoid the rejection.
Then there are stores the POS have no issue doing b2b2b2b.

There are a few of us here and we all experience the same. Some further south of me have even worse experiences.
At the end of the day, the systemwide hard coded limit is $2k per rolling 24 hours, with any method of payment being acceptable.

People posting other rules are describing as you have YMMV limits that are based on human judgment. I have never experienced a register disallowing a full $2k in any area. This includes the area where you are intimating that there may be more restrictive regional rules. Any such regional rules are YMMV and enforced by employees, and any seeming rejection by the register I would personally assume to be a temporary glitch or an employee mistake/sabotage of transaction to enforce the regional limit, both of which are rare but not unheard of.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:42 am

I live in eastern TN in an area known as the "Tri Cities" and there are CVSs everywhere.

To date I haven't found a single one who will take a credit card for a prepaid (loadable or non-reloadable) VGC, MCGC, or AGC. Debit cards and cash only.

The rolling 24 hours with a $2k max is enforced so to really do any volume it's nice to have a helper or 2. (These 5% back cards would take forever to liquidate at $2k per day - I don't want to sit on them that long).

FWIW, although it is tedious and time consuming I've learned that buying one card at a time is easier for everyone involved.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:13 am

Look at the full site, someone posed a receipt buying 4 VGCs in one transaction.

Your store is the anomaly that only allows 1k.
Ditto. My go-to CVS allows up to the max of $2K VGCs per customer with DL scan.

as to DL scan of other people's ID, my store sees DH shop with me most, if not all the time, so in cases where I have to 'buy' his GCs in a separate transaction, the manager/cashiers don't mind. If they ask for him (hasn't happened), either he's somewhere in the store or in the car outside. IOW, MY store allows scanning of someone else's pic ID if they know the customer well enough. as always, YMMV rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.