Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I doubt it. The grocery store I've been using is right down the street from a WM so anyone that would be in that boat would already be doing that. The grocery store was already cheaper per $1000 anyways.

I'm glad to see WM die. It'll thin out the herds.
I am going to have to disagree with you, Walmart is easy because the employee could care less about what you want to do as long as the computer allows them.

Now transfer all those people over to your Grocery store that are doing the same thing as you are doing. They are going to notice in a BIG WAY. And they are going to start asking, "What are you using to pay with these?" Can I see the debit cards. They must have your name on them and they must be from an issuing bank, they can't say debit card? Sound familiar? Yeah the process started at Walmart.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
It'll take quite a few of the people out of the game who don't want anything more complicated, or can't handle anything more complicated.

Sure there may be more how do I do "X" posts, but between the death of VRs and VGC at WM many will not be bothered by the more complicated processes.
I hope that you are right...the 'herd of turds' needs a thinning
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by edwards183
There is a certain amount of schadenfreude that goes along with this. I'm sorry but the people getting caught with $10's of K of gift cards waiting for liquidation didn't understand arbitrage. Arbitrage opportunities always close once they are widely known.

Myself, I am only holding $1k because I was too lazy to go to WM yesterday. Not much of a problem to liquidate.
I think most of the posts on here were the people joking around about holding onto that much. None of us would be crazy enough to have lots of cards that are not liquidated.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by steventravel
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwards183

There is a certain amount of schadenfreude that goes along with this. I'm sorry but the people getting caught with $10's of K of gift cards waiting for liquidation didn't understand arbitrage. Arbitrage opportunities always close once they are widely known.

Myself, I am only holding $1k because I was too lazy to go to WM yesterday. Not much of a problem to liquidate.

I think most of the posts on here were the people joking around about holding onto that much. None of us would be crazy enough to have lots of cards that are not liquidated.

You would be wrong. Many of us have in excess of $10k in cards right now. Not to worry at least this one of us has plenty if other liquidation options.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by f0xx
There. I added it for you ^
Thanks! ^

(I'm glad someone seemed to get that I posted the picture sarcastically)

Last edited by FindAWay; Jun 19, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by steventravel
You are probably right about the people here. But I am quite sure that there are tons of people out there that are holding a whole lot of OV's without a way to easily liquidate them. You should have seen the whining on the Evolve thread when they changed the rules on how many swipes you could do a month. There were people who were playing some really risky games with home equity lines and overpaying creditors to get the cash refunds.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by skibum7732
It is against FT T&C's to cross post exact same thing on more than one thread. it is only needed in one place...well actually wasnt needed anyplace but one would suffice
If you look, you'll see the posts are not the "exact same thing." Also, as I'm sure you already know, there is a ridiculous amount of the same information and conversations going on between the two threads...in fact I asked the mod to lock this thread (or close/merge the two) at post 81 (but, my request was not heeded).
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Thanks! ^

(I'm glad someone seemed to get that I posted the picture sarcastically)
Oh... I knew.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:06 pm

The Visas by Meta bank are not affected, right? Vanillas only?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by TMKTakot
B's get degrees, or something like that.
You're shooting too high.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
You would be wrong. Many of us have in excess of $10k in cards right now. Not to worry at least this one of us has plenty if other liquidation options.
Shoot, I almost turned that many OVs into MOs today...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:10 pm

So another plunge in CVS' sales, since most Vanilla VGCs and OVs are bought from CVS?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Furyleader
Attempt at 3 location at my local walmart with 50 and 90 vgc
No go
At Kate, cashier? 3 cashiers? 1 swipe for $50, one for $90? same time, back to back, different areas of the store? What exactly?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Kat007
The Visas by Meta bank are not affected, right? Vanillas only?
Bump. I got a $200 fixed value VISA gift card by Meta Bank from the Vons/Safeway deal.
Can I liquidate it at Walmart in one $200 transaction to buy a MO, or do I have to do two or more transactions like the OV's?

Also, for a Meta Bank card, the instructions say, "Your initial pin is the last 4 digits of your card number."

Do they mean the number on the front of the card, or the last four digits on the activation code receipt which looks something like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-1234? (not the actual number of course.)

Please be kind. I'm only doing MS'ing to meet a minimum spend, not compete with the money-making people.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by adminds
So another plunge in CVS' sales, since most Vanilla VGCs and OVs are bought from CVS?
Since they only make a couple $'s per card....not even a drop in the bucket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.