Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JH (Jackson Hewitt) Preferred Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: All
Has anyone linked this to bluebird and then been asked to do a call in to verify? I was pulling money from JH to BB just fine and now BB wants to do a short call with the bank to verify the account. Frankly I don't even know which bank to tell BB.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by SeahawkRaptor
Has anyone linked this to bluebird and then been asked to do a call in to verify? I was pulling money from JH to BB just fine and now BB wants to do a short call with the bank to verify the account. Frankly I don't even know which bank to tell BB.
This happened when I linked BB to a gift card a while back. They called and told me it has to be a "proper" bank issued debit card linked to an account. This might not qualify
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I am thinking about getting my DS one of these. I will spot the $3.95 to load ONE VR. I will use his CB CC to do a bit of MS on his card to recoup VR fees from my travel reward CC use.

My reason: his restaurant spending. All that spending will be listed there and he can pay me back for the initial load from his paycheck as he spends. It's been difficult to bill him from my CC because he doesn't "hold back" when he double dines with his friends and work peers.

The one thing that concerns me is how the authorization is handled on this kind of spending on the debit card. All the dining spend would be local so if there is an appeal necessary due to over bill, he can pursue that with a return visit to the restaurant.

The risk would be wait staff that overcharges than quits work there. My DS is very trusting.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 13, 2014 at 6:40 pm
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:13 pm

Your proposal is to charge many purchases to a JH (Jackson Hewitt) Preferred Card? I'm probably misunderstanding but if that really is the proposal, I highly recommend against that. Good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I thank you for your comment. It reminded me that the JHP is considered a perm. card with a fee to close. That would not be advantageous with a short term plan that I wanted to use as a teaching tool to point out his dine overspending.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:10 am

Don't the Visabuxx cards actually tout that as a selling point? OTOH suppose I wanted to raise my own awareness of my overspending. Using cash would make me most aware, watching my stacks of 20s get handed over, permanently, to the stores and restaurants. Food for thought.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:20 am

P.S. With my Amex 4 Target I get cashback on my cash, and I allow no more than $400 per mo for taco trucks, taxis, tips, etc...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by cuebert
To load the JH with the VR visit vanillareload.com and it's free, not $7.48.

A cheaper and easier way would be to load a BB card, so you can use the billpay instead of visiting WM for MOs.[/url]
Sorry, I must be dense. Why would you VR>JH>BB>billPay, when you can just VR>BB>billPay?

What am I missing?

I have one of these cards, but to be honest, I can't think of a good reason to use it.....
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:31 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kcblakely
Sorry, I must be dense. Why would you VR>JH>BB>billPay, when you can just VR>BB>billPay?

What am I missing?

I have one of these cards, but to be honest, I can't think of a good reason to use it.....
Doing more MS than all your BB's can handle.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by newtopoints
Mine came last week. Its still in the envelope. I'm not going to bother opening this one until the billpay is real.
I was thinking of waiting as well. How do they handle the monthly fee if there isn't any money on the card?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by healthnut
But max load on a BB is $5K/mo, whether it's from VR or JH or anywhere else. So still at a loss as to why VR>JH>BB is better than simply VR>BB.....

As to using it to do more MS, why is it better than normal Visa GC? You never get shut down with GCs.....
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by healthnut
+1
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
But max load on a BB is $5K/mo, whether it's from VR or JH or anywhere else. So still at a loss as to why VR>JH>BB is better than simply VR>BB.....

As to using it to do more MS, why is it better than normal Visa GC? You never get shut down with GCs.....
5k from VR, 1k from online debit through JHP
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Datapoint: got the card 5 days ago, planned on a one-and-done $5k in, $5k out. Went to very reliable BoA to do $4995 CA, teller said the transaction wasn't being accepted. I was worried I'd been shut down already, but went to WM and did ~$2k, ~$2k, ~$1k successfully. EM'd out the remaining $1.xx.

Early in this thread there were reports of successful $5k CA's, so I don't know if that's a recent change or YMMV. Ended up being cheaper at WM, so no complaints here.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:31 pm

I will max out at $5k through VR tomorrow or Monday. I have been doing a MO here and there to liquidate and since I buy the MO at a grocery, I also do a small purchase and get free cashback. I think it's $50. Wonder if I could do it twice for $100? ( Answer: yes, you can. Just pay separately. Great way to cash out without a fee.) That's as far as I can think to do since the card doesn't have the same BP feature as HRB. I guess I could get used to paying my utility bill or phone bill, too.

Will probably MO a payment to my DS's CC tomorrow at Chase, so no deposit worries. The branch is in the same parking lot as the grocery.

As stated about the HRB, I continue to finesse. The thing with me is I don't want gas, time, and miles on the car to do what I could do from home. I will let a few VRs collect dust until next month and start again. But, I will accumulate and then do 4 MOs in one visit. Maybe I'll just MO two CC payments and deposit two others in different institutions via ATM.

Open to suggestions..

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 15, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.