Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by msnut1
I notice I sometimes get the "Approved, yet transaction is declined" error when I've exceeded my BB limits (daily or monthly).
Agreed - if you see approved and then you are denied - it is ALL on WM's side and NOT on Vanilla's/Metabank's side. This mostly happens when you have exceeded the limit of your card in some way. login to BB/Server/HRB and figure out what was exceeded.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I've been using this method to meet the minimum spending for the 100,000 MR points and so far it's worked each time. I am kind of afraid to buy GCs any higher than $100 at a time though because I keep thinking the WM moneycenter will stop working... :P

So far, I have been successful with both the vanilla GCs with variable amounts and other Visa GCs with set amounts, the ones that have preset PINs that are the last 4 digits of the card. I'd buy a $200 card or higher sooner if I was confident this would keep working. Maybe it will and I have a good kiosk at my nearly WM.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Well, I reset my pins - that did not help.
Declined transaction at Wackmart register and customer service.

I confirmed that the gift cards were loaded, and full.
I confirmed with BBird that there was nothing wrong with my account, not frozen, or anything else.

I was unable to unload to BB - this happened at WAckmarts in the PHOENIX area. Anyone else having this problem? Is this happening everyehwere or just in Phoenix?
Old May 28, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Well, I reset my pins - that did not help.
Declined transaction at Wackmart register and customer service.

I confirmed that the gift cards were loaded, and full.
I confirmed with BBird that there was nothing wrong with my account, not frozen, or anything else.

I was unable to unload to BB - this happened at WAckmarts in the PHOENIX area. Anyone else having this problem? Is this happening everyehwere or just in Phoenix?
What are you getting? An error? I haven't had an issue yet, but I am fearful to go balls deep and buying $1000 worth because of this issue. The largest transaction I have done is $200 per day for the last few days.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Yes. We can call it an error.

You look at the keypad screen and everything seems to be going fine and it even flashes/comes up as APPROVED but then the register spits out a small piece of paper that says the "debit card transaction declined." Wackmart cashier then usually says something like "check with the debit card company" or something like that but it isn't the gift card/debit card that is the problem. I'm thinking it is Wackmart - but I need to know if it is just this area or if all of the Wacks are doing/going to do this.

On a positive note, I was able to buy money orders using those same cards that were "declined."
Old May 28, 2014, 5:03 pm

Yes. We can call it an error.

You look at the keypad screen and everything seems to be going fine and it even flashes/comes up as APPROVED but then the register spits out a small piece of paper that says the "debit card transaction declined." Wackmart cashier then usually says something like "check with the debit card company" or something like that but it isn't the gift card/debit card that is the problem. I'm thinking it is Wackmart - but I need to know if it is just this area or if all of the Wacks are doing/going to do this.

On a positive note, I was able to buy money orders using those same cards that were "declined."
Did you try different stores? I don't know what to tell you. I've had no issue with the one store I've been using so far. I just hope my luck keeps on coming. I've used two different types of Visa debit GCs, one with a pre-set PIN of last 4 digits of the card and one that I set online, so far and never had an issue.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Yep. Drove to 2 other stores and shut down there as well. Now these stores were all in the PHX area, maybe 10 or 15 miles from one another.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:06 pm
Suspended

I just added up my loads for May. Came in at $4900. The next $200 card would put me over 5K limit. So I think this one is me - "human" error. Sorry if I caused any panic.

@raccah - you were correct.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:13 pm

Oh good. Yeah, I loaded another $200 card today without an issue. I think I may bump it up to $250, but I'm still too gunshy to max out and buy $500 cards. I need about $2000 to get to the threshold to get my 100,000 MR points on my platinum card.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:15 pm

I just added up my loads for May. Came in at $4900. The next $200 card would put me over 5K limit. So I think this one is me - "human" error. Sorry if I caused any panic.

@raccah - you were correct.
LOL!!! WOW! You caught me I was JUST about to reply and say that this is probably one of those bone headed things that I DO ALL the time! User error either on too many loads for the onth (by missing the first load that is tracked as the previous month on serve/BB) or too many loads in a day.

Congrats and good to hear that you do search! BRAVO!!!
Old May 28, 2014, 7:27 pm
Suspended

When it was happening, it was MADDENING I'm glad it is over...and Sunday is a new month
Old May 29, 2014, 4:50 pm

I ran into issue with Vanilla gift card loading to Bluebird at Walmart. I have two cards each left with $1000 for this month.

When I asked for debit load with pin. I confirmed $500 amount and swiped VGC and it staight away went to credit. No PIN option.

I tried at same Walmart with different counters. No go.

I tried at Money center also which the rep informed as attempt to load credit.

As early as two days back, I loaded cards from same batch without any issue.

I came home and cleared my PIN even though I never needed to use it.
I will try again at different place and see whether it works
Old May 29, 2014, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I ran into issue with Vanilla gift card loading to Bluebird at Walmart. I have two cards each left with $1000 for this month.

When I asked for debit load with pin. I confirmed $500 amount and swiped VGC and it staight away went to credit. No PIN option.

I tried at same Walmart with different counters. No go.

I tried at Money center also which the rep informed as attempt to load credit.

As early as two days back, I loaded cards from same batch without any issue.

I came home and cleared my PIN even though I never needed to use it.
I will try again at different place and see whether it works
Let us know. I've had no issues, but I haven't tried any today. I keep buying them in $200 batches so if it doesn't work, I'm not stuck with a card of like $500 with nothing to do with it.

Is it the same kind of card you've used and worked before? I'm sticking with the ones I know have worked in the past. I'm always fearful WM will close this loophole someday and I won't be able to meet my minimum spending before its too late!
Old May 29, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
I am having the same issue at two different WM's. No option to enter a PIN. The cashier let me see her screen were it displayed "customer attempt to use credit card". Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am at my wit's end and I need help.
Bought $200 VisaGCs at Staples today, the Metabank kind. Picked up 5.

Went to Wallyworld to unload to my BBird. Went to register, unloaded 2 cards, POS transaction worked just fine, 2 down, 3 to go.

Just for the heck of it, this Wallyworld had the kiosk so I decided to give it a try following the instructions that I find here, and there, ...no deal. Would not work at the kiosk and I don't know if it was something I did wrong or not.

THEN I go to the moneycenter and try to unload onto BBird. No dice. Came up with an error message even thought the 'APPROVED' appeared on the screen, it was not able to generate a receipt like it normally does. I got this little paper square saying debit not approved.

Went to a register and tried a different VisaGC (of the other 3 remaining cards). Same problem.

Has anyone else ran into this? I go online and enter the card numbers and it shows that I have $200.00 balance on each of these 3 remaining cards. SO WHAT WENT WRONG? HELP?!!!??! PS - my BBird is fine, logged in just now and all seems well, it shows the 2 loads of the 2GCs that worked.

??????????

Could it be that this particular Wallyworld only allows "2 swipes" ?
This has been happening to me the past 2 weeks-- I have 3 stores that I have been using for the past year without any problems all start displaying the same message. Expanded my search a bit and tried 3 others w/ the same results. I can still do MO's but not BB or HRB's. Sitting on a good amount at this time. Heading down to DC this weekend, hope to load them there. The only thing that makes any sense is all the stores said they had updated their software, haven't been able to find a work around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.