Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Went to OD today on my quest to find some VL GC, didn't find anything above $200, but did notice that they had some delicious Bean on display. I grabbed two and took them to the register along with some other items that I was planning to purchase and the register read declined as soon as she scanned the VR cards, she said hmmm and tried again and the declined message came up on the register. She apologized and said that probably occurred because they just started carrying them again, and they were probably not in the system as yet. Has anyone out there spotted Vanilla at OD and tried making a purchase? I wonder if my load attempt declined because I was attempting to load $500 vs $200??
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Office Depot will soon be accepting cash only for gift card purchases

Go back and try $200? If the fee is only $3.95 still, even max $200 load at 5x is pretty good, worth doing in my mind.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: DL, WoH
I'm gonna wait till monday to check my OD's in my area...I'm thinking OD is making cash only policy for all these loadables. At least staples still carries $200's.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by texasguy77
Went to OD today on my quest to find some VL GC, didn't find anything above $200, but did notice that they had some delicious Bean on display. I grabbed two and took them to the register along with some other items that I was planning to purchase and the register read declined as soon as she scanned the VR cards, she said hmmm and tried again and the declined message came up on the register. She apologized and said that probably occurred because they just started carrying them again, and they were probably not in the system as yet. Has anyone out there spotted Vanilla at OD and tried making a purchase? I wonder if my load attempt declined because I was attempting to load $500 vs $200??
I covered 5 stores and didn't even see VRs, but that was 2 days ago. All they have now are laminated photocopies of $25-200 cards, that you bring to the register to buy the real cards.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jerroranda
Went to the Little Tokyo OD tonight in LA. Had VR at the GC section and the register. Purchased 2 500. It did require secondary approval but had no issues. Fee was $4.95
Just been to the same OD and couldn't see any VRs - plenty of standard Vanilla Debit cards but no reloads. They do still have the variable visas (quite a few left) and, as mentioned, they needed manager override at the register but no mention that CC would be an issue.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Go back and try $200? If the fee is only $3.95 still, even max $200 load at 5x is pretty good, worth doing in my mind.
I was thinking of giving a $200 GC a try, but its $6.95 fee here.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by vfdfs2
$206.95 x 5 UR points/$ = 1034 UR points

1034 UR points at a cost of $6.95 = $0.0067/point which isn't bad

Last edited by Stripy; Jul 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:33 pm

Bought 2k worth of Vanilla Visa Giftcard from Office Depot. Bought $500 X 4 cards. Used my Chase ink plus.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Stripy
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
$206.95 x 5 UR points/$ = 1034 UR points

1034 UR points at a cost of $6.95 = 0.0067c/point which isn't bad
You mean $0.0067/point or 0.67c/point.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Bought 2k worth of Vanilla Visa Giftcard from Office Depot. Bought $500 X 4 cards. Used my Chase ink plus.
Which location?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Originally Posted by jerroranda
Went to the Little Tokyo OD tonight in LA. Had VR at the GC section and the register. Purchased 2 500. It did require secondary approval but had no issues. Fee was $4.95
Just to confirm, you successfully purchased the (new, with 4.95 fees )VR's at OD?
Most likely variable GC not VR. The VRs are still $3.95. The variable GCs are $4.95.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by townhurst
Which location?
Orange County, California
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ducati
You mean $0.0067/point or 0.67c/point.
Oops! Yes, thanks - post edited.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I also checked some along the drive from ORD-MKE and saw nothing
Did you happen to stop at the OD on 76th St in MKE. Could save me a trip. Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just went to 7 different ODs in the OC and was basically shut down everywhere. Many didn't have variable loads at all. Found one that had OV, but the manager was really cagey about it. Complained about "Ink cards and Bluejays" Eventually bought one there for 500 and got my free stamps as well. Same manager had to do an override for "large purchase" and immediately said that the stamp coupon didn't work with gift cards. When I informed him that it had already gone through without just fine he seemed "surprised" and then quickly stormed off with my coupon.

BTW, same manager also claimed that in the last week since variable loads came back, they have sold over 30k worth...

Found another that had an unopened stack or regular variable load cards in a box they had just received, but manager refused to allow them to be sold until the new cash policy came into effect "in a few days".

Last one had a whole bunch out on the rack, so I picked up two, and found a good deal on a power strip, so I brought all three to the register. I was informed that they would only allow up to $200 on a variable load with credit card If I wanted more, the difference would have to be in cash. And that in a few days it would be all cash. He wasn't sure if it would apply to all cards or not. He genuinely seemed as confused as we are. Ended up walking out with absolutely nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.