Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aeneas3
Wiki to track data points for Variable load GC at various locations:

raghu455: Variable loads not ringing up at register on 7/9 at 3 south bay area locations.

topenga47: Sarasota FL OD is cash only at register on 7/10

townhurst: OD at Firestone in Norwalk, CA cash only and CC denied at register

fangtl: Register showing cash only message prompt at Sterling, VA OD.

Emma dog: atlanta OD (Cheshire bridge&piedmont) has a register lockout forcing cash only.

Mooper: Cash only @ OD in MT for variable, but $100/$200 Visa GCs ok w/ CC through Aug. UPDATE: Died in early Sept... cash only for all now.

aeneas3: cash only @OD in Buffalo, NY - popup at the register - 9/20
Print Wikipost

Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I wonder if all systems are down, because my local OD's were offline and couldn't accept CC for any purchase.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Speculation: Maybe the downtime is because they are updating their POS network so that gift cards can no longer be charged to CCs.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by bribro
Speculation: Maybe the downtime is because they are updating their POS network so that gift cards can no longer be charged to CCs.
I would think the losses suffered by not being able to accept CCs for anything for an entire business day far exceeds any losses due to GC fraud or any other costs they have taking CCs for GCs. I doubt this is related to not accepting CC for GCs. We are a very small corner of the OD world. Unless you don't mean Point Of Sale that is .
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I would think the losses suffered by not being able to accept CCs for anything for an entire business day far exceeds any losses due to GC fraud or any other costs they have taking CCs for GCs. I doubt this is related to not accepting CC for GCs. We are a very small corner of the OD world. Unless you don't mean Point Of Sale that is .
+1 We are a very small crowd indeed.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I purchased $4k worth of onevanilla cards at my usual OD right after the system went back online to accept credit cards. I'd say the outage wasn't related to gc's.

Oddly there were three different kinds of Visa variables at the store I went to. And the manager practically begged me to take more, I only originally wanted $2k worth. He was ecstatic once I told him I could take more if he was looking to unload them.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Buy a $500.00 HIK card at OD no fee and pay the AR at Lowe's off
You can pay your Lowes accounts receivable account off with a CC in store?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:11 pm

Strange.

I was able to buy $2K GC today at my OD without any problem.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:24 pm

local OD credit card system was down earlier today too.

I went back in the afternoon and tried to purchase some VRs, but the register declined them. Then the manager told me they were cash only anyway and that it was the same for the other variable and reload cards.

I bought some store cards with a CC with no problems (not that it counters what he said)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:43 pm

Is it possible to start a list of cities and states that has the cards available?

Just got a text from a friend in LA, CA, his local OD has variable Visa, VR, and Paypal. However, the VR would not load funds. The Visas loaded fine.

The OD people did not mention anything about changing to cash only on Monday.

So California seems to be the place to be at this moment. Anyone in east coast have any luck?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:09 pm

For people in LA area.

Try the one in Miracle Mile area and the one in downtown. They allowed me to buy variable GCs with no problem.

I bought 5 of the $500s yesterday right before they close, they had whole stocks.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:37 pm

It sure would be nice one of these things showed up in the MD/DC/No Va before the supposed "Cash only" stipulation kicks in.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:42 pm

Smile Another Data Point (PDX area)

Found variable Visas at one Office Depot in PDX area Tuesday (I think), along with the usual $100 & $200. There were three separate stacks. I bought one to try it out...was also first purchase on my brand new Ink so didn't want to push it. Tried another Office Depot Wednesday; no variable Visas (barely had any, maybe some $25 or $50). Out of town for Fourth of July, hit up the original Office Depot today (Friday), found 1 variable Visa left! Bought it on a non-Ink card to meet a minimum spend challenge closing shortly. No issues with using CC either time; no commentary from cashiers about cash only or needing management approval.

Also, both were used to purchase MO @ WM, no problem.

Last edited by random00b; Jul 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm Reason: clarity and fixed typos.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Deleted
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Anyone with luck in the Detroit area have any luck? Feel free to pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The ones I found today were in a state other than California. No VRs or PP cards though. Just lots of every kind of variable Vanilla Visas. No problems taking credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.