Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:05 pm

What stores sell $500 GCs in the topic?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lkar
And, 3, you have a safe way to liquidate 5k worth of money orders each month. I've been hesitant to go too hard with MOs.

I think, also, that USPS won't sell MOs higher than $1,000 at a time, right? At least, that's what it says on the web site.

If I could find a safe way to liquidate 5k in MOs each month, I would probably not deal with buying $200 GCs. I think I'd rather go with Amex PRG, for 2x, at Grocery Stores for $500 cards:

5000/500 = 10x$6.95 = $69.50.
10139 Amex MR points for $69.50 (plus MO fees, of, say, $5 per 5k) = about .75 cents per amex point.
I plan on just depositing them to my bank - nothing wrong or illegal about what I'm doing. If my bank wants to know, I'll just tell them exactly what's going on and if they don't like it, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Each USPS money order is max 1k in denomination, but you can buy up to 10K per day - anything over 3k requires a form, but if you stay under 3k, that is not a problem.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
You missed my point. What change?
In federal regulations from Frank/Dodd that require visa and mastercard prepaids to have pins? Increased ease of liquidation/churn, hence the sparked interest? This just started 4 days ago.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:14 pm

This is awesome. Just in time too, as my supply of VR just ran out. Excellent!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
With Amex PRG, if you do 5K a month, be prepared for a FR, I just got mine!!

And, 3, you have a safe way to liquidate 5k worth of money orders each month. I've been hesitant to go too hard with MOs.

I think, also, that USPS won't sell MOs higher than $1,000 at a time, right? At least, that's what it says on the web site.

If I could find a safe way to liquidate 5k in MOs each month, I would probably not deal with buying $200 GCs. I think I'd rather go with Amex PRG, for 2x, at Grocery Stores for $500 cards:

5000/500 = 10x$6.95 = $69.50.
10139 Amex MR points for $69.50 (plus MO fees, of, say, $5 per 5k) = about .75 cents per amex point.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:33 pm

To me, the play here would be if you can find a prepaid card with features like bluebird.

EDIT: I was asking whether there were any, not saying I know of one. Please, no more pm -- my box is gonna fill up!

Last edited by lkar; Apr 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:37 pm

Temporarily unavailable.
Bluebird ???

Last edited by aegt123; Apr 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123
Bluebird ???
Well, I got a few angry PMs, so I edited my post to be more cryptic. Maybe you should edit your post quoting mine.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:09 pm

Well, I got a few angry PMs...
Only a few? It must be a slow day.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:15 pm

Only a few? It must be a slow day.
The weird part is that I didn't even mention a specific product or even have an idea (so, for those pm-ing me, asking for the "secret" -- I don't have one!) I was just trying to explore an idea. I think there are some out there who already have something akin to it that works for them who didn't want me nibbling around the edges, but that's the funny part -- I don't even know what I don't know!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Sometimes the truth is not what people want to hear.
I would love to hear the truth. Please, share.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
The weird part is that I didn't even mention a specific product or even have an idea (so, for those pm-ing me, asking for the "secret" -- I don't have one!) I was just trying to explore an idea. I think there are some out there who already have something akin to it that works for them who didn't want me nibbling around the edges, but that's the funny part -- I don't even know what I don't know!
I think it might be best to ask those people who know what they know which you don't know to tell you what they know

as in, ask the guys who sent you angry PM's about what you mentioned.. I did read your post before you edited it
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I was looking at the T&C for the Walmart Visa Gift Card and saw:

"You may use your Card to pay for goods or services where Visa debit cards or STARŪ debit cards are accepted. Look for the Visa and STAR brand marks at the point of sale. Not all merchants accept both. Some merchants participating in the STAR Network also may offer cash back. You may not use your Card at ATMs."

Not sure the door is completely shut on cash back.
That isn't the card[s] we're referring to in this thread.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=
Confirmed. ^
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:58 pm

You missed my point. What change?
Originally Posted by theacolyte
In federal regulations from Frank/Dodd that require visa and mastercard prepaids to have pins? Increased ease of liquidation/churn, hence the sparked interest? This just started 4 days ago.
This one. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.