Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:10 pm

Has anyone tried to use the "problem" US Bank MC card @ Aldi to buy something and then get a cashback?
I have not bought these MC cards in awhile, so I can't try it, but it might be an option for those who have them.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cashback
I beg to differ.
I know people who have a flourishing business and run all of their business expense through their AMEX, INK Bold, and Citi Biz cards who do not do manufactured spend since they are averaging 90K a month through those cards. So there are people who do not have to manufacture spend to get points and miles.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by craz
did they post what their avg daily acct balance was before doing the MOs? I can see problems if a person on avg had say a couple of grand in the acct and then bingo is depositing 10s of 1000s. If however they had an avg high 5 figure bal+, and have a top status with that bank. Then Id think its less likely theyd be shut down

also it helps by deposting into both asavings and checking acct and not paying off the CC the same day. So if ones plan is to deposit into their checking and the same day or the day it clears (if a person bank puts a hold on their deposits)pay off the CC even before its due, yea thats asking for trouble
I have no idea, but there are reports of people who are having accounts closed because of excuses MOs.. Just not worth MY time...
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I know people who have a flourishing business and run all of their business expense through their AMEX, INK Bold, and Citi Biz cards who do not do manufactured spend since they are averaging 90K a month through those cards. So there are people who do not have to manufacture spend to get points and miles.
I never claimed that.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I went through a period where I was running six figures per month on cards, but even at that, running five figures more of MS for the points still appeals.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
People who have 5-digit average balances don't have any need for manufactured spend.
Originally Posted by cashback
I beg to differ.
I was going to say the same.

i know of a few persons whose checking account balances are 6 figures and they still do manufacture spend.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I was going to say the same.

i know of a few persons whose checking account balances are 6 figures and they still do manufacture spend.
Probably at Bank Direct, continuing the cycle of sickness. . .
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Ok, what do I do? I attempted to load BB last Saturday and the transaction was cancelled. The funds still haven't been returned to my GC. I called them and they said it can take 2-3 biz days. Has it taken that long for any of you? This is my first GC screwup since I've been in the game. I still have receipts for the purchase of the GC, but WM didn't generate one.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Ok, what do I do? I attempted to load BB last Saturday and the transaction was cancelled. The funds still haven't been returned to my GC. I called them and they said it can take 2-3 biz days. Has it taken that long for any of you? This is my first GC screwup since I've been in the game. I still have receipts for the purchase of the GC, but WM didn't generate one.
Vanilla Visa takes 7 days to put funds back on the card. I don't know about US Bank. I'd recommend to call US Bank (number on the back of the card) and ask them.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
the details of the deposit got lost in the past few quotations, but the person did not deposit $10,000 cash
All right. Thanks! Well, bad luck...I guess.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I would call today, I would assume with the holiday things were a little slower.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Thanks for all of the replies.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Forgot to ask how the transaction was cancelled? Did the terminal freeze/reboot? IME, if the transaction was aborted successfully (using more than 4 swipes per transaction, or CSM abort), the funds should go back automatically within a few minutes (with US Bank GCs). If the terminal froze/reboot, the manager needs to call Walmart Financial Services and have that transaction reverse (after which it could take up to 72 hours.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:10 pm

TheDapperDon- You may look at my post #2205 in same thread how I experienced similar issue and actions taken.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Probably at Bank Direct, continuing the cycle of sickness. . .
You guess wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.