Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by scottydoobuy
I need some help trying to meet an Amex companion voucher to book a holiday in August I've done 6k still need to Ms 4 k. Travellers cheques are getting hard to get rid of my bank previously took them now claims unless I bought them there they will incur a fee? Any ideas people tried the range card that's a joke and should be closed down coz the people running it are idiots
Which bank is it? Have you tried different branch instead?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA,Tesco,AA,IHG,Marriot
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
Which bank is it? Have you tried different branch instead?
Halifax not had problems in past but they seem to be getting fussy I told them they should be treated as a cheque but they wouldn't have it, maybe I should try another branch but just wondered if there is any other easy methods of Ms out there?. Suppose that's what everyone wants lol
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Halifax not had problems in past but they seem to be getting fussy I told them they should be treated as a cheque but they wouldn't have it, maybe I should try another branch but just wondered if there is any other easy methods of Ms out there?. Suppose that's what everyone wants lol
Set up a current account at another bank that will be happy to have them? Rather easy to do online nowadays! I recommend Nationwide if you've got a bit of cash to stash away - take the introductory 5% rate then make a profit by switching it to another bank after a year.

Last edited by TheUrbanite; Nov 29, 2015 at 6:43 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
Quote:

Set up a current account at another bank that will be happy to have them? Rather easy to do online nowadays! I recommend Nationwide if you've got a bit of cash to stash away - take the introductory 5% rate then make a profit by switching it to another bank after a year.
I have been using Halifax and Nationwide for depositing TC in the past, however I haven't bought the TC for a while now, so don't know if there has been any change.

My local Nationwide is a pain to use for TC, 4 out of 5 time they will tell me they don't take it. The last time I used them, they told me the TC has to be issued in the UK, of course they are, but they insisted that Issued address on the TC has to be UK, not US, so I just gave up and using Halifax instead.

Halifax sometimes requested to see an ID for depositing TC, but it has been easy and painless for me when using them, so I am hoping they haven't changed the T&C...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
I have been using Halifax and Nationwide for depositing TC in the past, however I haven't bought the TC for a while now, so don't know if there has been any change.

My local Nationwide is a pain to use for TC, 4 out of 5 time they will tell me they don't take it. The last time I used them, they told me the TC has to be issued in the UK, of course they are, but they insisted that Issued address on the TC has to be UK, not US, so I just gave up and using Halifax instead.

Halifax sometimes requested to see an ID for depositing TC, but it has been easy and painless for me when using them, so I am hoping they haven't changed the T&C...
I've never had any issues in the past depositing into a Lloyds current account, so that might be worth trying if you get stuck.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by tangey
Since:-

a) most people under 40 think "what they hell is a traveller cheque, is that some historic monetary instrument ?"
b) Some people get charged a cash advance fee for TCs
c) New cards (you know the ones that people have taken out less than 90 days ago), tend not to like big TC orders, or have a low TC limit.

But other than that, your idea was brilliant
a) need to do their homework if they want to get into this game
b) need to do their homework if they want to get into this game
c) make smaller purchases @:-)

If you're out to shill your blog and offer poor advice, then as you were
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: BA,Tesco,AA,IHG,Marriot
thanks for your suggestions people i will def give a different bank a try.I gave izettle a go did 2 charges of £1000 with my wives amex thats linked to my account but after the second time i got an email shutting me down oh well got 2k nearer to the 2-4-1 although i was hoping to do 5k to get the fees down
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:25 am

thanks for your suggestions people i will def give a different bank a try.I gave izettle a go did 2 charges of £1000 with my wives amex thats linked to my account but after the second time i got an email shutting me down oh well got 2k nearer to the 2-4-1 although i was hoping to do 5k to get the fees down
Using credit card merchant accounts to generate MS is insanity. They're great at detecting it, and when they want to play hardball, they will really stuff you over (same as Paypal).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by 21H21J
a) need to do their homework if they want to get into this game
b) need to do their homework if they want to get into this game
c) make smaller purchases @:-)

If you're out to shill your blog and offer poor advice, then as you were

mobiustrip.co.uk
Quite.

Good luck finding any Non-amex card that won't see a TC purchase as a cash advance. Good luck finding somewhere to redeem them. As has been reported by others, banks are increasingly only accepting ones that they sold.

The theirperfectgift cards can be bought and used without ever leaving the house, paid for using any credit / amex card, and definitely won't attract a cash advance fee if paid for using paypal. For some short £500 of a spend target, many will find the £12.50 in difference between 4% and 1.5% cost a small price to pay for the sureity and ease of use.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Originally Posted by TheUrbanite
I bought that card once. For my troubles, I got stung with a cash advance fee and it didn't work with any of the usual online cashout methods I use for other gift cards. Good luck with it...
I've bought via paypal a few days ago as a test, and as I suspected, there was no cash advance fee.

Last edited by tangey; Dec 3, 2015 at 7:31 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
duplicate deleted
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:01 am

Face value £50 coins available at Royal Mint: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Britan...ne_Silver_Coin

As my local HSBC didn't know that £20 coins were a thing last time around I don't think I'll bother, but could be of use to some. Looks like there is a £100 coin too.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Using credit card merchant accounts to generate MS is insanity. They're great at detecting it, and when they want to play hardball, they will really stuff you over (same as Paypal).
I do wonder why they care so much about MS. After all, the idea is for you to put spend through the servie so they make money
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
I do wonder why they care so much about MS. After all, the idea is for you to put spend through the servie so they make money
Due to the risk of money laundering I dare say.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:31 am

I am aware of a regular savings account that will allow you to pay contributions in £/$/€ with a (non-AMEX) creditcard for no additional fee....

It is only available for expats and has a minimum term of 5 years (although increased bonuses etc if longer). There are some restrictions in terms of residency and citizenship (e.g. no US citizens).

Obviously not suitable purely for MS but if intending to save for a future event it could be worth looking at?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:46 pm

Wink

Hey folks

I just wanted to add my vote to the Royal Mint which is a great MS opportunity

There are no limits on quantity or delivery fees so this is entirely free spend

It is not as hard as people are suggesting to cash these out, most any bank will take them, if your having problems you clearly are trying the wrong place!

I highly recommend ordering a load, as many as possible

EM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.