Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
I just made a debit deposit 30 seconds ago. Did the e-mail say when the changes go into effect? I haven't received it yet.

edit: Looks like May 30: http://press.gobank.com/depositagreement#amendments

E-mail was in my spam folder, received yesterday.

Last edited by sgideons; May 11, 2013 at 10:05 am
Old May 11, 2013, 11:09 am

Greendot is on the verge of having to pay much more to Walmart pursuant to a 2010 agreement. I imagine Greendot can subsidize its GoBank rollout only so long.

http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/3867
Old May 11, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Fascinating article, but I interpret it as saying the opposite: Green Dot will be paying Walmart more FOR Walmart MoneyCard customers. The more clients they can drive towards Gobank the smaller that hit will be.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

So that's a key question does GreenDot pay Walmart less for a GoBank load? I assumed GreenDot is subsidizing the GoBank loads but it's just a guess.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Ha, and I was waiting for an email...to join...dead before it even started...
Old May 11, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Ha, and I was waiting for an email...to join...dead before it even started...
If they find themselves losing out to BB after this, they may change their mind.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:07 pm

Section 6 of the Deposit Account Agreement says nothing about debit loads only on initial...but I guess let's find out after May 30 kind of thing:

"
6. Depositing Money to Your Account With a Debit Card. You may use certain bank-issued debit cards to deposit money to your GoBank account (the “Debit Card Deposit Service”).

a. Your Representations. You represent and warrant to us that: (a) you are at least eighteen (18) years old; (b) the personal information that you provide to us in connection with the Debit Card Deposit Service is true, correct and complete; (c) you are the owner of the debit card identified in your registration for the Debit Card Deposit Service and any related bank account (the “debit card”); (d) you are the owner of the GoBank account; and (e) you are authorized to use the debit card to add funds to your GoBank account.

b. Confirming Your Identity. You authorize us and our agents to confirm your identity when you use the Debit Card Deposit Service. This may include asking you for additional information or requiring you to take additional steps to confirm information you have already provided.

c. Use of Personal Information. During the registration and funding process for the Debit Card Deposit Service, you will be providing certain personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number and bank debit card number to us. We may share your personal information with service providers so that we can provide you with the Debit Card Deposit Service and to comply with applicable law.

d. Your Debit Card. To use this Service, your debit card must have been issued by a licensed U.S. bank and be accepted on the Visa or MasterCard network (check the card for the appropriate logo). Please note that the amounts you add to your GoBank account may be charged almost immediately to your bank account. The types of debit cards that can be accepted for the Debit Card Deposit Service are subject to change at any time in our sole discretion. You may not use a credit card to deposit money using this Service. If you do, we are not responsible for any fees, finance charges or penalties that your credit card issuer may assess as a result of the transaction.

e. Available Funds. You are responsible for ensuring that your debit card has sufficient available funds (including associated fees) for each deposit you request. If you do not have sufficient available funds, your financial institution may not authorize the transaction. We have no control over your financial institution’s decision. We also are not responsible or liable to you for any insufficient funds fees or other fees imposed by your financial institution or any transactions that you are unable to complete if you fail to have sufficient funds for your deposit request. Please note that it may take up to one hour to process a deposit request if you are applying for your account online at the time of your deposit request.

f. Minimum and Maximum Deposit Amount; Limitations. You can use the Debit Card Deposit Service to deposit $20 - $200 to your GoBank account at one time ($50 minimum if you use the Debit Card Deposit Service to make your initial deposit). We may limit the number of transactions you can make using the Debit Card Deposit Service in our sole discretion.

g. No Refunds or Reversals. Once you deposit funds to your GoBank account from your debit card, you cannot transfer funds back to your debit card from your GoBank account.

h. Hours of Operation/Availability. You can access this Service 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. There may be times, however, when all or part of the Service is unavailable due to system outages or maintenance. We assume no responsibility for any damage or delay that may result from such unavailability.

THIS SERVICE IS MADE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS-IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. NEITHER WE NOR OUR AGENTS OR VENDORS PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SERVICE. ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE ERROR-FREE, CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE OR FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.

UNLESS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY LAW, NEITHER WE NOR OUR AGENTS OR VENDORS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY OR CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED BEFOREHAND OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of certain types of damages or implied warranties. As such, the disclaimers above may not apply to you.

i. Termination or Suspension of Service. We may suspend or terminate your access to or use of the Debit Card Deposit Service at any time without cause in our sole discretion. We may immediately suspend your use of the Debit Card Deposit Service if we have reason to believe there has been or may be an unauthorized use of your GoBank account or the debit card you used to make the deposit, or we are unable to verify your identity or authority to use the debit card to our satisfaction."

http://press.gobank.com/depositagreement#amendments
Old May 15, 2013, 4:24 pm

Now that I actually picked up the GoBank card I've been having some issues finding MP. I wasn't expecting a huge issue at Charlie Victor but apparently they are hard-coded in the entire Chicagoland area as cash tender only.

I've attempted to use the Right Ade for this solution and have had some success but more of a hard time than anything. About 70% of the time they say "cash or debit only."

Any suggestions my brothers?
Old May 15, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by horrorslice
Signed up just to help some people out. (:

If you still want invites, PM me. I've been using GoBank with 0 issues so far. Only using direct deposit / debit card deposits. Haven't tried anything else yet. No errors on anything.

EDIT: As I've already received a few PMs. I'll explain the instructions.

I need your email address. The way this works, is I'm able to "Pay a Person" $1. Then, they are able to create a GoBank to receive the money.

If you would like me to continue paying it forward, you're able to send the $1 back to me (No fees, of course), so I can continue to inviting more people.
No longer doing this. People don't read, and not a single $1 has been returned to me. Disgraceful to see such selfish people.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Just checked my account. Seems like the option to make debit card deposits is no longer available to me. Not sure if its a glitch or if the new rule has been implemented. Anyone having this problem?
Old May 15, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by bensim
Just checked my account. Seems like the option to make debit card deposits is no longer available to me. Not sure if its a glitch or if the new rule has been implemented. Anyone having this problem?
Mine is missing too?
Old May 15, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
The new rule was announced (by email at least) last Friday and has been implemented. This card is dead.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
The new rule was announced (by email at least) last Friday and has been implemented. This card is dead.
Yes, I see it. That's sad... Cash load @ WM is free, they say...I wonder if the GC PIN trick works or not (like in the BB case)...I think I'll give it a shot today. If they are going to accept MO with the Mobile App, they still can be useful...

Last edited by vagrants; May 16, 2013 at 5:06 am
Old May 16, 2013, 8:25 am

Deleted, found in spam

Last edited by debtinator; May 16, 2013 at 8:42 am Reason: nm, was in spam
Old May 16, 2013, 1:28 pm

Someone please PM me who has had gobank for a few months and have used MP's to fund it. I'd like to discuss quantity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.