Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I was reading the 3/21 Wall Street Journal under the legal section while waiting for my Doctor to see me.

I saw that the Secret Service seized alot of Green Dot cards (Southern Calif Central District Court) with about $4K+ on each card. It listed about 7-8 different cards.

Not sure why the cards were seized but I thought that was interesting. I wonder what scam those seizures were related to.

Best to have plenty of documentation available!!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:21 am

I can't find anything on wsj.com. Any links?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:03 am
jk2

I have an account at GoBank and here is my findings:

1) you can deposit money using debit or credit card (latter works for Chase/Barclays who don't charge a cash advance). However, the limits are low - $1000/month or 5 deposits/month and $200 is max you can load at the time.

2) You can also use MoneyPaks to deposit and GoBank will even refund you a fee of $4.95 for MoneyPak once. Also Walmart sells MoneyPaks $20-$1000 with $4.64 fee, but only "debit" cards (with PIN...) are accepted (or cash).

This is a full checking account, so you can do all the things - bill payment, etc.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jk2

1) you can deposit money using debit or credit card (latter works for Chase/Barclays who don't charge a cash advance). However, the limits are low - $1000/month or 5 deposits/month and $200 is max you can load at the time.
Wanted to add.. Load limit is on a rolling 30 and debit/credit card are only MasterCard and Visa
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Just keep in mind that GreenDot as a company is like Paypal. They have very low tolerance for abuse.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jk2
+1 for sharing

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Just keep in mind that GreenDot as a company is like Paypal. They have very low tolerance for abuse.
I completely agree with you, but I don't see a disadvantage in working with Greendot while it still works.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Originally Posted by jk2

I couldnt find anything on there site about fees for credit card deposits. Are there any?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:04 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
I couldnt find anything on there site about fees for credit card deposits. Are there any?
no fees. deposits by CC/debit are free.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Do you mean direct deposits using credit cards? After the $ 1000 limit is met, can we load using Moneypaks? Thanks.
Originally Posted by jk2

2) You can also use MoneyPaks to deposit and GoBank will even refund you a fee of $4.95 for MoneyPak once. Also Walmart sells MoneyPaks $20-$1000 with $4.64 fee, but only "debit" cards (with PIN...) are accepted (or cash).

This is a full checking account, so you can do all the things - bill payment, etc.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by bensim
After the $ 1000 limit is met, can we load using Moneypaks?
Yes, I'm not sure what the limit is though. Someone with more experience can answer it. Possibly 4k like other competing products?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Here's my blog post about Gobank, let me know if you have any questions.

http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2...p-to-the-plate
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by aegt123
+1 for sharing

I completely agree with you, but I don't see a disadvantage in working with Greendot while it still works.
Remember if you have had Green Dot cards closed you are banned from any green dot bank products so even is somehow it briefly allows you to open an account they will probably catch you soon and back to the funds hold again. At least that is what I was told by green dot ymmv
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
My experience has been different. I loaded too much money with in the first 2 weeks and GD shut me down. However I was able to right away get a different GD PP card and it has been fine so far (2 months). But I have been loading under 2K a month.

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Remember if you have had Green Dot cards closed you are banned from any green dot bank products so even is somehow it briefly allows you to open an account they will probably catch you soon and back to the funds hold again. At least that is what I was told by green dot ymmv
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons

+1
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons

Nice post. Do you know what the monthly limit is from reloading via money paks or all sources in total? People seem to be guessing at 5k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.