Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:54 pm

Apparently they flag the phone number of whoever calls them. I called them once regarding my lost check. They advised me to wait longer. I didn't accept and then the CSR said that she will file a dispute for that transaction but the call was disconnected. When I called them back using the same phone, it kept saying "Due to success and high demand for Bluebird, we are unable to answer your call" or something like that. I suspect that I called them a few minutes ago and how is that Bluebird has become so successful in a few minutes?!! I decided to call them using another phone number and it worked!
This is a bad company to deal with, even if it is Amex. One should always consider that Bluebird is low-end product. In this context you always prone to higher risk and Amex works just like any other unreliable company that usually launches a low-end product. However due to "success and high demand" Amex may en up being even worse!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Went to 3 cee vee ess stores today, all well stocked, all took a CC w/ no problem. Only bought 1 card at each, now I will have to start experimenting on how many they will let you purchase at one time.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
On a side note, one thing that bugs me when using a VR card is that they only ask you for your card number and the long PIN when applying the amount. I am always paranoid that I have mistyped my card number and will wind up crediting someone else's card. It might be nice if they also required the 3 or 4 digit security code off the card you wish to apply to as a double check. I wonder if you have any recourse if you accidentally applied your VR to the wrong account?
The chance of mistyping your BB debit card number and the website accepting it is very small, because a BB card (like all credit and debit cards) contains a check digit, so that if only one number was mistyped, the card number would be rejected. You would have to mistype TWO numbers and they also would have to to be consistent with the check digit. Not gonna happen. I am really surprised so few people know this fact.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
Hi all, long time FT lurker, 1st time poster, so take it easy.

Visited 2 W-greens and 2 CVS locations in my area over the past 2 days. All of them had beans but all of them said cahs only. One lady at W-greens said this was a national rule for them.

Is she right or blowing smoke? Do I just keep trying my luck to find one who will take CC? The last CVS who was cahs only had like 25 bean cards and i practically drooled on myself before I was turned down.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by deaconx31
Is she right or blowing smoke?
She is right. Just luck of the draw for others.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
SF Bay hates Vanilla

Originally Posted by wcoeqpk862
I'm south of you on the Peninsula, let me know how your run turns out! I'm going to make a run this coming week
And I've been to Mtn View (La Cuesta), 1 in Belmont, 1 in San Mateo, 1 in Sf, Marin City, and Santa Rosa.

Nada.

Sigh
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:46 pm

Just back with 2k worth of beanie from CVS. Took a couple of swipes before it worked on AMEX card. It did not work on B of A Virgin Atlantic card. Swiped several times but the transaction wouldn't go through.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:04 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Same happened to me before with another card metoo. The bank probably saw the first transaction come in and didn't even it let that one go through. Any other swipes after that wouldn't work even for just water or something. I bet if you call they will transfer you to fraud department to verify.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer
And I've been to Mtn View (La Cuesta), 1 in Belmont, 1 in San Mateo, 1 in Sf, Marin City, and Santa Rosa.

Nada.

Sigh
Have not gotten a single bean in the Bay Area in last 30 days. Pretty much given up and resigned myself to buying Amex Prepaids with Chase Ink from OD.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
no more beans...

Originally Posted by pantanal
Have not gotten a single bean in the Bay Area in last 30 days. Pretty much given up and resigned myself to buying Amex Prepaids with Chase Ink from OD.
I am doing the same. Better than nothing, but I guess I missed my bonus mile train for bill pay. Sigh.

But I am curious - since at least 2 stores have had a whole column of "Vanilla Prepaid (NOT the Vanilla Visas, which are on a different part of the rack) with a big sticker that says coming soon. Maybe they are rebrading?

Oh well I'll just stick to buying $500 SBUX cards at OD ::-D:
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:16 pm

I probably shoulda asked this before I got my ice cream a few times today...does either chase or citi charge cash advance fees for purchases at CVS of the ice cream type? I always buy a pack of gum to go with it just in case, but has there been problems with this at all?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer
I am doing the same. Better than nothing, but I guess I missed my bonus mile train for bill pay. Sigh.

But I am curious - since at least 2 stores have had a whole column of "Vanilla Prepaid (NOT the Vanilla Visas, which are on a different part of the rack) with a big sticker that says coming soon. Maybe they are rebrading?

Oh well I'll just stick to buying $500 SBUX cards at OD ::-D:
Vanilla prepaid is a reloadable card like many others. Nothing to get too excited over.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geight
I probably shoulda asked this before I got my ice cream a few times today...does either chase or citi charge cash advance fees for purchases at CVS of the ice cream type? I always buy a pack of gum to go with it just in case, but has there been problems with this at all?
No, it's just another purchase
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by geight
Nope. Reported many times in the thread.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wise2u
I don't need MO to cash out BB, I just need a MO and dont want to pay cash or use debit card where I get no points. I don't have DD so unless I do the paypal verification it doesnt make sense to withdraw any BB funds expecially with wallyworlds atm's set at $300 max per transaction that would add up fast....I am fine using BB for mortgage, and bills.
The target ppamex on the other hand only allows one free withdrawal (amex fee) per month and you still get stuck with the atm owner fees, $400 daily limit also can cause the fees to add up....so buying a MO with it would be a vast improvement to get money back out of it. It does have my name on it and I guess I could buy VR at CVS in order to liquidate.
Anyhow I guess I will try the MO route at the post office and a store or 2 and see what happens.
Seems contradictory statement to me... Not sure exactly what you want / need to do.

In any case, the only way to earn points from buying a MO and only from certain place is with the ST Delta debit card or the BofA AS debit card. I dont see how you can earn points from buying MOs with other means no matter how you conjure it up... MO purchase is always a PIN based transaction AFAIK because MO is the true cash equivalent which can be deposited to bank account directly. It is essentially a prepaid CHECK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.