Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ATL787
I am curious to know if it will be possible to make additional principal prepayments through Bluebird toward my Wells Fargo Mortgage? I will be paying down my mortgage by about $40,000 per year in prepayments beyond the normal monthly payment, Dave Ramsey style.
You can push the payments out via bill-pay. Then watch your mortgage statement. Say your mortgage is 3K per month and you are making 3.3K extra (40/12). Some banks will take your december payment, 3K, then take the 3.3K and apply it as if you had made your january payment early. You then may not see the reduction of your cumulative interest as they essentially don't apply the payment till then. You need to be able to designate it as a principal curtailment. You can do this by a phone call to WF, or if your lucky they may figure it out and do it automatically. I'd probably split the principal payments into separate payments of a value less than a monthly payment, and make notations on the memo line as extra principal payment or the like - then watch the statements carefully.

In my experience WF used to handle this fine when they had my note 5 years ago. GMAC who has mine now I needed to avoid doubling up a payment (e.g. if the hypothetical payment is 3K split the 3.3K extra into 1.65K checks) or they will just push out the calendar on me until I call. With GMAC, if I paid by a "pull", not a "push" I can designate it as I wish. Unfortunately BB doesn't allow pulls.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:58 am

I am curious to know if it will be possible to make additional principal prepayments through Bluebird toward my Wells Fargo Mortgage? I will be paying down my mortgage by about $40,000 per year in prepayments beyond the normal monthly payment, Dave Ramsey style.

Would I have to request a check and just take it into a Wells Fargo branch on a regular basis?

I would plan on directing the spend toward minimum spend bonus thresholds and working toward the 2nd threshold on my DL Reserve card (worth the fees for me to get the extra MQMs).
Wells Fargo's online payment site has an area to input an additional principal payment for a single mortgage payment or for each payment if you auto pay.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by Preacher7
So is OD still letting you put $500 on the Vanilla GCs? I read on this thread that they're only letting you put $200 on, and the remaining $300 has to be in cash. Just checking.
I inked a 500 GC with no problem at OD
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by tazdmb
Yes, I went yesterday and bought $1000 in Visa Gift cards from OD and redeemed them at CVS for VR. I got funny looks both times and the manager at the CVS even said that I don't think we take Visa Gift Cards for these. However, all the transactions went through.

I know that is not translating to 5 points/$, but I will take over 5,000 UR for $8.90.
Curious, did you do this in 2 separate transactions or use both GC's to pay in 1 transaction.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

I just wanted to chime in on problems that others might experience-
paid my property tax thru BB, check issued, funds withdrawn.
Prop tax peeps never received.
BB phone rep refers to CS, email states "ten business days to investigate".
I have the funds to send the prop tax people a check direct, but it is a pain, and who knows what their "investigation" will do as far as immediate refund/reload.
Lessons-allow plenty of time, keep additional funds at the ready.
BTW, I have successfully paid credit card bills with no problem using the BB.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:22 am

Would I have to request a check and just take it into a Wells Fargo branch on a regular basis?

I would plan on directing the spend toward minimum spend bonus thresholds and working toward the 2nd threshold on my DL Reserve card (worth the fees for me to get the extra MQMs).
I asked this exact question because I was thinking I might have to make an online payment if the Bluebird payment didn't arrive in time. They said that any money received above the current amount due is automatically applied to the next month's payment, NOT your principal. I would suggest sending a small amount via Bluebird and fill out the Memo box with instructions to apply it to your principal. I would try to use as much language as possible from the normal principal payment forms (not sure if you do it online or send a check). Then wait and see what happens.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by tys90
I asked this exact question because I was thinking I might have to make an online payment if the Bluebird payment didn't arrive in time. They said that any money received above the current amount due is automatically applied to the next month's payment, NOT your principal. I would suggest sending a small amount via Bluebird and fill out the Memo box with instructions to apply it to your principal. I would try to use as much language as possible from the normal principal payment forms (not sure if you do it online or send a check). Then wait and see what happens.
Thanks. I like the idea of doing a small prepayment test using the memo box on Bluebird, and see if it gets applied appropriately to principal. I usually make prepayments online through Wells Fargo's website separate from my regular monthly payment transaction. I'll try $100, but I'm not holding my breath, I bet that whoever/whatever machine processes the payment, it will just go towards the next month's payment. Will see.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Was able to purchase VR at three different CVS stores over the past two weeks with different CCs - all three had at least 15+ VR cards in stock.

I'm gonna bet that the whole VR/CVS opportunity will not crash and burn like VR/OD did, regardless of how much publicity it receives on FT and the blogs. Like others have posted on FT in the past, I have tried to convince hundreds of people over the years to take advantage of points/miles with their everyday spend - I would say less than 10 have actually followed through and pursued it.

With respect to VR/CVS, as has been stated by others, the only reason to partake is to either meet minimum spend at 1 point per $, or accumulate HH points at 6X per $ using one of the AMEX HH cards. The great thing about the VR/OD deal was that you were getting 5X UR points using Ink, and those UR points had a ton of possibilities (airlines, hotels, even cash). The amount of people who are going to go through all the trouble to buy VR at CVS on a regular basis are a very small percentage of those in the points game. It basically comes down to

# into VR/CVS << # into points/miles << average CC user

Only those obsessed with squeezing every point or mile out of every $ that leaves their pocket every month will pursue this regularly (you can count me in amongst those ). Now if Chase comes out with a new card which gives 5X UR points at drug stores, that could be a deal breaker! I am actually praying that CVS does not become one of the Freedom cards quarterly bonuses in the future.
There is a quarterly cap on the Freedom bonus, so it might not be a dealbreaker for Chase (but I had the same though you had about this.)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:54 am

i did a money xfer from bb to my linked checking account last froday 11/9. as of today it has not posted. i understand monday was a holiday. should i be worried? i have xferred money before and it worked fine. thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Jetsfan
There is a quarterly cap on the Freedom bonus, so it might not be a dealbreaker for Chase (but I had the same though you had about this.)
The cap is $1500 per quarter.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by emdot
Curious, did you do this in 2 separate transactions or use both GC's to pay in 1 transaction.
Interesting..i bought a couple VRs at CVS yesterday...the cashier didn't think i could use credit, i acted shocked and said i'd done it before...she read something on her computer (handwritten and taped to the side) about gift cards...i said this wasnt a gift card, it was a card I could be and reload a debit card with...she seemed to like that answer and then just processed it. Went through just fine...granted, no 5x, but SPG points. I do like the idea of buying gift cards at OD and using those to buy VR at CVS. Starts to cut into the profit a little though, but still worth it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:19 am

I went to buy some gift cards at OD today and they had to call the manager over of course. The clerk said that just 2 weeks ago, someone came in to get the reloadables (or regular gift cards, can't remember) and after they activated them, they asked for a price check. Of course when the cashier was distracted, the person grabbed the cards and bolted.

I wonder that they can't track the cards down and cancel the load. After all, they've scanned it into their system to activate right?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by farbster
I went to buy some gift cards at OD today and they had to call the manager over of course. The clerk said that just 2 weeks ago, someone came in to get the reloadables (or regular gift cards, can't remember) and after they activated them, they asked for a price check. Of course when the cashier was distracted, the person grabbed the cards and bolted.

I wonder that they can't track the cards down and cancel the load. After all, they've scanned it into their system to activate right?
I would think so.
Plus the fact they have cameras everywhere. So someone idiot got their pretty lil picture taken.

However, if they were just travelling through your town, it makes it harder for them to find.

Fools!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Found that the CVS just a few blocks from my office has the beans and successfully bought 1 @$500 with the Hilton AMEX without the cashier saying a word about it. Had one slot on the GC rack for them (way down toward the bottom) and had a good number in stock.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Have read this thread 5X over and confused as to if I can't access da beans and only have a BB with my Delta ST MC loading the Bird up, what else is possible than just $1/mile type stuff? I have an SPG Amexa as well and so just trying to see if BB is even necessary ..PM'd help would be most appreciated as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.