Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:49 pm

The Daily Mail has the Malaysian witness story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sappeared.html
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
What happened to MH370? A pilot and a flight attendant give their views

This may sound obvious to many readers of this forum, but the article answers a lot of questions in a non-technial way.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-missing-plane

The Guardian spoke to a long-haul commercial pilot and a former Thomas Cook flight attendant – people who understand aeroplane emergency procedures and rules about access to the cockpit and communication systems – about key details in the competing theories doing the rounds about the plane's fate.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This may sound obvious to many readers of this forum, but the article answers a lot of questions in a non-technial way.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-missing-plane

The Guardian spoke to a long-haul commercial pilot and a former Thomas Cook flight attendant – people who understand aeroplane emergency procedures and rules about access to the cockpit and communication systems – about key details in the competing theories doing the rounds about the plane's fate.
From that article: However, if an emergency is severe, any of the two pilots can make a very quick mayday call at any time such as: "Mayday mayday mayday, MH370, smoke on board, stand by." It would only take two or three seconds to transmit.

That's what I've been trying to figure out this whole time. In an emergency where the plane ended up flying for what, 7 hours, why wasn't a 2 second call made?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

i think the theory is, if a fire happened, it also took out the communication system
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by room317

That's what I've been trying to figure out this whole time. In an emergency where the plane ended up flying for what, 7 hours, why wasn't a 2 second call made?
Not only pilots but the crew can also call for emergency.. why no one did??

12 crew members is a big number!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by gothaggis
i think the theory is, if a fire happened, it also took out the communication system
Very unlikely that it would take out their systems that quickly.

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by room317
From that article: ... pilots can make a very quick mayday call at any time such as: "Mayday mayday mayday, MH370, smoke on board, stand by." It would only take two or three seconds to transmit. That's what I've been trying to figure out this whole time. In an emergency where the plane ended up flying for what, 7 hours, why wasn't a 2 second call made?
Agreed. Or, to squawk 7777 or whatever internal code word for MH only per established procedures & training. ( Or, a coded spoken word/phrase with ATC to discretly signal an emergency without tipping off others ) The bird was airborne for 20 to 30 minutes and just reaching initial cruise attitude with the amount of fuel loaded (tank was definitely not full or overfilled as ordered/recorded) - the last few times we're doing TPAC on 777's over polar, we cruise at FL300 or FL310 and can only climb higher after burning some 3 or 4 or 5 hours into our flight. We are taking all the available info & data at face value, and assumed it to be correct - then work off our theories & expert analysis. It's difficult but maybe time to start anew with a clean slate, blank sheet of paper & redraw/refresh.

Aside from 10 cabin crews, there're at least 20+1 engineers, an IBM exec, one martial artist and others - surely, someone would've step forward even if it's an inflight medical emergency. Laughing gas released that took everyone out, I dare to wonder.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 21, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by userasc
Not only pilots but the crew can also call for emergency.. why no one did??

12 crew members is a big number!
How can the crew call, are you saying for them to go into the cockpit to call? They don't have access to call outside the cockpit.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
How can the crew call, are you saying for them to go into the cockpit to call? They don't have access to call outside the cockpit.
1. I thought I've seen a report that crew from outside of the cockpit can call the ambulance on the ground.
2. Enter the cockpit
3. The Guardian report says the crew has a communication with the cockpit every 20 min and if there is no response they have a procedure in place.

And I am thinking again.. minus two pilots we have there 10 people who are trained how to act in an emergency situation..
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:30 pm

Respectful question from a scientist, engineer and frequent flyer:

what is the time differential and footprint differential of making a 180 degree turn in a heavy-loaded 777 under:

the fastest turn possible vs a "normal" banking turn that wouldn't shake up pax

If the plane really was on primary radar it would seem that this would show up.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Excuse me if this has been discussed. Has there been any consideration in using drones to search this area? They have the capability to loiter in areas for long periods of time and I assume could drop marker buoys/listening buoys.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunnytx
Respectful question from a scientist, engineer and frequent flyer:

what is the time differential and footprint differential of making a 180 degree turn in a heavy-loaded 777 under:

the fastest turn possible vs a "normal" banking turn that wouldn't shake up pax

If the plane really was on primary radar it would seem that this would show up.
Don't have a technical answer for you but what are you getting at?

Even if the plane just flipped around 180 rotating on its z axis, the change in direction of the movement of the blip on the primary radar would become evident.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any turn around to the South in anybody's radar (otherwise they wouldn't be searching the North arc).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Thanks, for the benefits of others as I just read a long commentary issued the China's state-owned Xinhua News Agency, posing lengthly questions of Boeing's silence.
It is the norm for people in any country to question and hold people/companies/agencies in other countries to a higher standard than their own in a similar circumstance and to throw around blame and accusations gratuitously on others when there is lack of information. Applies to any country.

Boeing, like any company, will not make any public statements if their lawyers have any say until all facts are known and then only if there is no negative impact on future litigation or is necessary/advantageous for PR purposes. Nothing nefarious or suspicious about that. I am sure they are contributing to the investigation in any way they can. They have as much a vested interest in getting to the bottom of this as anybody given the litigation potential.

They are facing lawsuits even in the Asiana crash where the pilot error has been well documented. They are always one of the deep pockets in these cases to go after as a contributing factor however silly.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by venk
Don't have a technical answer for you but what are you getting at?
Trying to figure out if the turn was handflown or autopiloted. If I'm driving a heavily loaded truck, I can turn it 180 degrees in a few seconds and within a short radius, but I'd only do it in an emergency. If I need to turn but it's not urgent, I'll take more time and a wider radius.

The turn time/radius might signify urgency even if the comms were gone so that there was no transponder squawk or pan pan pan/mayday.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:17 pm

The example Chinatrader posted about raises another issue for me. In his (?) example, the pilot invited a passenger into the cockpit, allowed alcohol into the cockpit, and played around with the rudders in a way that subsequent pilots said was dangerous. Fortunately nothing tragic happened. But say it had. Say the plane had gone down. We'd never in a million years reconstruct that scenario, would we? Even if the plane were found and the rudder damage investigated, no one would come up with an explanation of "The pilot had invited a passenger in and was showing off by hitting the rudders with his feet."

We have no evidence here that the pilot was unprofessional, although the co-pilot does seem to have indulged in some unprofessional cockpit behavior at one point in the past. But even so, that's only one of many, many possible scenarios in what went wrong here. But it makes you stop to think — odd and unpredictable decisions in the cockpit do happen sometimes, and no mechanical equipment will ever pick up on the reasons why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.